SASS Wire Forum

Locking up ammo and reloading components?

Long Fingers, SASS#56813

Wondered if anyone was rethinking how they are securing ammo and components. 
The value of this stuff is increasing by the minute, it can’t easily be replaced if at all for the near future. Securing in a safe is just creating a bomb if you have a fire. Those metal gun lockers probably wouldn’t  build pressure and turn into a bomb if on fire but they are not overly secure either. 
I guess I’m think of more of a theft deterrent, what are you all doing? 
LF. 

We have just moved and this is what I am doing. Heavy steel locker that has a good lock on it, bolted to the studs. Ammo and primers stored in ammo boxes inside it and powder on another of the shelves. Hope the ideas help.

Ammo locked upstairs, guns in a safe in the basement. Reloading stuff in basement too, but I doubt common thieves know anything about primers, powder etc. 

Thieves are looking for stuff they can sell or pawn....guns, jewelry, cash, prescription drugs and to a lesser extent electronics.  I doubt that they are keeping up on the powder/primer shortage or would even know what they are looking at as far a powder or primers.

That’s horrible, how do you work that way. . Your missing out on all that fun of finding those items that you know you have but not quite sure what pile they are hiding in. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

mine are just sitting on a shelf above my still clean loading table 

IMG_0551.JPG

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Thieves are looking for stuff they can sell or pawn....guns, jewelry, cash, prescription drugs and to a lesser extent electronics.  I doubt that they are keeping up on the powder/primer shortage or would even know what they are looking at as far a powder or primers.

Your probably right. Just kinda had a oh $h!t moment the other night when I was going through my inventory. Started adding up what I had and realized there’s a lot of dollars sitting around here. Made me think maybe I need to do something different as far as storage. 
LF. 

I sit in a rocker on my front porch 24/7 with my side by side full of buckshot while our twelve cats patrol the property. Anyone comes by I call them varmints and tell'em to get away from my stash before I ventilate them. So far so good...

55 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

I sit in a rocker on my front porch 24/7 with my side by side full of buckshot while our twelve cats patrol the property. Anyone comes by I call them varmints and tell'em to get away from my stash before I ventilate them. So far so good...

Reminds me of Second Hand Lions.;)

44 minutes ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

That’s horrible, how do you work that way. . Your missing out on all that fun of finding those items that you know you have but not quite sure what pile they are hiding in. 

Happy Wife Happy Life 

I can sit reloading and she pets me on the head for keeping it neat 

if it helps this  my garage cabinet  for calibers I dont have time to shoot 

IMG_0569.JPG

All my reloading components are out in the workshop.  I figure if someone breaks in they’d steal other stuff (welder, plasma cutter, drill press, etc) before they even start to look for powder and primers.  I guess I’m the odd one out I store my ammo in the gun safe, never thought of an explosion I just hope I’m not there when it happens.

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

All my reloading components are out in the workshop.  I figure if someone breaks in they’d steal other stuff (welder, plasma cutter, drill press, etc) before they even start to look for powder and primers.  I guess I’m the odd one out I store my ammo in the gun safe, never thought of an explosion I just hope I’m not there when it happens.

I am with you in that my primers, powder & ammo is stored in a safe.  The safe is a San Fransisco bank safe vintage 1900.  The interior volume isn't very large for its' outside dimensions.  It has a day safe inside which further reduces the storage volume.  The interior volume is less than Liberty's smallest freestanding gun safe.  The walls are 4" thick steel & concrete.   It is so heavy that a 1 1/2 ton floor jack can only lift one side.  The bolts are huge so I figure if all the powder went off at once the pressure would be vented via the space between the body & door before the body deformed.  The safe is fire resistant without a thermal seal; because, the door opening & door have a couple of steps which function as a labyrinth seal.  The reason I store it in this safe is my shop garage is uninsulated metal building.  While the humidity is very low the inside temperature varies min 40 degrees in the summer.   Only a knackered monitor top refrigerator would be better.

The reloading components are stored where only a select few folks know... Likewise all ammo.  And those folks know I have a backhoe and lots of pasture.  Surely y'all don't think I'd be stupid enough to announce where that is over a public forum... :P

Archived