SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Overland shot gun with strong hammer springs

Raven Law Dog

OK Cowboys, I need your advice. I just acquired a Rossi Overland 12ga, I'm trying to over come old habit of not having to cock manually. Rabbit ears on this animal are small and springs are really stiff. Hammers have coil springs. Does anyone have experience with lightening them up?  I can' afford a gunsmith and I don't want to screw it up by not seeking advice. Also, being out of production so long, do you know of any spare parts supplier? Thanks for any help!

It possible you local Ace Hardware helpful hardware man may have something that may work. Take a spring (and strut too) in and try to match inside diameter with one that looks lighter.  It can be too long - just cut it off. 

And you can grind the stock coil spring down to weaken it. 

Those spring are really strong. They make them like that because of how they are mounted on the lock plate. If you will notice the spring actually drags on the plate. If the stop there where the strut goes through was a bit more off the plate it wouldn't need such a heavy springs.

There is a poor boy fix, though. Mark the plate where the spring is dragging then use a burr to cut a spring clearance trench in the plate. Careful you don't grind through. 

It also helps to adjust the lower leg of the strut so you get minimum rebound. Just enough to set the sear.

Archived