SASS Wire Forum

Review of model 63

Trigger Mike

I got to try out a smith and wesson model 63 in 22lr today.  That is a really nice revolver.   A smooth trigger and solid fiber optic front sight, not a cheap easily broken one.   

It would make a good companion to the 22 mag revolver out there.   I like the 8 round capacity.   Zero recoil.   My mom should buy it instead of the 38 tge gun store talked her into before she moved by me.  

If you plan to buy one take a set of feeler gauges and check the barrel to cylinder gap on both sides of the barrel. 0.005” is in spec. 

I didn’t care for the red optic front sight on mine. I tried a gold bead sight. Don’t care for it either. I am going to go with a green fiber optic sight. I put one on my 10/22 and I like the green better. The red blobs out on me. Astigmatism. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought one of these to try out with my model 63. 
https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-smith-wesson-model-317-63-43c-8-shot-22lr-revolver-speedloader-loading-block-case-value-pack/

I just got it this week. I may try it out today and let you know how it works out. :)

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you plan to buy one take a set of feeler gauges and check the barrel to cylinder gap on both sides of the barrel. 0.005” is in spec. 

I didn’t care for the red optic front sight on mine. I tried a gold bead sight. Don’t care for it either. I am going to go with a green fiber optic sight. I put one on my 10/22 and I like the green better. The red blobs out on me. Astigmatism. 

I am not fond of the gold bead either, I can pick up the red fiber optic but the gold bead is hard sometimes.  Is there a way to check cylinder gap without a gauge?  

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought one of these to try out with my model 63. 
https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-smith-wesson-model-317-63-43c-8-shot-22lr-revolver-speedloader-loading-block-case-value-pack/

I just got it this week. I may try it out today and let you know how it works out. :)

I probably don't need the entire kit but would not mind the speed loader for a fast reload if around the woods or in town.

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Is there a way to check cylinder gap without a gauge?  

Take a matchbook with you or just a shim of poster board paper. Slip it in from each side of the barrel and cylinder face to see if both sides feel the same. Paper won’t mar the surfaces so a dealer shouldn’t mind. 

Archived