SASS Wire Forum

Schofield Bulge

Lunger Dan

So..I must have had a squib today at the match and not noticed. Cant remember hearing or feeling anything different, but, when I got home to clean I noticed something just a little off//not right...first was the ring inside the barrel when looking to see if there was any lead deposit, then the ever so slight "wave" or bulge on the outside...
The white marks are its position....about 1/4 inch.  
Its barely perceptable by touch and by  sight in the right angle light
Internet research shows about 80% say-keep shooting it...may or may not affect accuracy (didn't seem to during shoot today-minute of man at 10 feet)
New Barrel  400$
Cut and crown to a shorty..

Opinions here? Trying to get a consensus...money is an object. Especially for the next 3 months

IMG_4275.JPG

I think a good gunsmith might be someone to ask.  Off the top of my head, if I wasn’t firing full power rounds I’d probably keep an eye on it and see how it goes, but that’s me you have to do what you’re comfortable doing.  

Since you're not shooting Bulls Eye matches at 25 and 50 yards, you won't see any degradation in accuracy.  A bulge that small just won't have any effect.  From a mechanical standpoint, if the itty bitty bulge doesn't drive you up the wall, just keep shooting it as is.  No harm, no foul.

If it drives you bonkers every time you look at it, cut it, find a nice Silver Dime and cut it for a front sight.  I'd probably whack it off at the lug.  Make it look like a funky Python.

I bought an 1886 carbine that had a slight ring in the barrel.  I shot it and it was very accurate.  Probably not going to hurt anything if you shoot CAS rounds through it.  I would check your rounds though.  It might be you're loading them too light and had a squib, which would account for the bulge.

I have to go against the crowd and say that ANY damage to the structure of the barrel makes it less capable of containing the pressures at that location. 

And that ANY cowboy shooter that continues to use a damaged firearm at an event takes on the liability of any harm that may occur when that bulge lets go and spreads deadly shrapnel across the range.

The best thing is a complete destruction and disposal of the barrel AND frame due to unforeseen forces exerted upon it and any possible unseen damage.

I can recommend some services at your disposal to remove this now ticking time bomb from you.

Furthermore...

;)

Naw, not really, I'm just funnin' you.

Shoot it like it is - cut it only if it really bothers YOU.

It won't hurt a thing.

Seriously :D and yes, I'm done being a jerk.

Most likely wont affect accuracy at all, even at longer ranges - because the length of the bulge is less than the length of a bullet so the bullet never really has a chance to jump out of the bore and it has to restablize in line with the bore to leave the muzzle.

The gases expanding behind the bullet don't care either as they are not exiting at the bulge or being redirected.

I had an old competion Practical Revolver with numerous barrel bulges (previous owner was scared because the bulges and I got it cheap) that was one of the most accurate revolvers I have ever shot.

So to recap:

Creeker? A pedantic jerk who thinks he's funny.

Safety and function?  I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Cosmetics?  Up to you - but if you don't mention it; we will never see it.

Accuracy?  Time and further shooting it will answer that question (but you have already proved its continued accuracy for cowboy distances).

But at the end of the day - if you feel strongly enough about it...

I'll glady take that ticking time bomb off your hands.

i would speak to my favorite gunsmith first but i think id continue shooting to see if it still works well - if not cut it off , thats an easy fix for a bulge - ive generally seen them far closer to the cylinder

Replace the barrel! Absolutely!

I shot a pair of real S&W Schofields  for many years as some of you might remember and when i could still remember things,i did know a bit about Schofields...I say replace the Barreland don't look back!

Different beast, but I bought a Centennial .44 1860 replica back 'bout 1970.  Pretty decent quality, but it came from the factory with a bulge about midway down the barrel, more pronounced than yours.

It's been shooting well and accurately for fifty years and has a lot more left in it, bulge and all.  ;)

If it really bothers you I have an 1866 in 44-40 that has an identical bulge just short of the front sight.  Makes no difference how it looks as long as it shoots pretty.

I shoulda kept my mouth shut. I gots no intent of selling the 66 and I sure can't afford to buy your Schofield.

Wife’s Marlin had a bulge about 2-3 inches from the muzzle.  Never did know when exactly it happened, just noticed it during a match.  At our distances, it showed no degradation in accuracy.  When I pushed it out to around 100 yards(yes, I now I’m pushing it, but...), it keyholed every round, lead or jacketed.  Was it distance for the pistol round or the bulge, you decide.

Man, I really feel bad for you.  Knowing thet evertime you raise thet thar pistol up to shoot it their aint no way in hades that you want be looking at that barl instead of the front site!!!!  Dang thet sux and I feel so bad fer you that rite now at this moment, the feeling of Christmas and all, you know, I will flat out be willing to give you $400.  Since we both realize that this is the only hope you have to save your future match scores, just dawnt say 'thank you' or nuthin else,  just send the gun and I will get a check out as soon as I can git to the PO!   

Shoot it!  Shot a B92 in 44 mag for a number of years with a bulge in the barrel.  A snubbie would look cool tho!(when moneys not a thing,,,)

15 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

I shot a pair of real S&W Schofields  for many years as some of you might remember and when i could still remember things,i did know a bit about Schofields...I say replace the Barreland don't look back!

Dang:D, nice to see you posting again:excl:

OLG

Send it to "Deacon's Home for Sad S&Ws" It will be loved and happy here.

16 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Hi, Shorty.  It's been a dog's age.  How are you doing?  Hope all is well.

Tex

Good ta’ see ya’ , Shorty

Thanks Tex and Lumpy!
Nice to be back!

Doing great..Just A Little beat up and a Lot Older!

22 minutes ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Thanks Tex and Lumpy!
Nice to be back!

Nice to meetcha!

10 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Thanks Tex and Lumpy!
Nice to be back!

Howdy.  Seems like there is a lot of that going around and nobody knows how to fix it.

Archived