SASS Wire Forum

A question for BMC

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My speed. 

0CF92951-0660-4989-BCD3-98753E85AC12.thumb.jpeg.eecaf1f2e3b091008b8e6ace69646b45.jpeg

know nothing about about fly fishing. :)

Got those too. 

You are correct in that the top fly in the first photo is dry, and the second is wet. The next one is also dry but a little different from the first, in that body construction differs. 

25 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

BMC has lots of stuff to show DNR , I have seen him late at nite with a shock boat 

says it is the best way to get em 

CB :ph34r:

Now you let the cat outta the bag, Bill. :rolleyes:

I never got into fly fishing.  That ws my dad's and my sister-in-laws gig.

I cast a 1.25 oz Andy Reeker with a triple hook with some success, but haven't had a rod in my hand in over fifty years.

I do all my fishing these days at a counter in the rear of my local grocery store.

some good eatin on the ice right there , ive never been a real ice fisherman , i like soft water best from my boat these days , i have bank fished and enjoyed it because of the company i was keepin , ive never been salt water fishin yet .......but ive fly fished , spincast-baitcast-trolled and used the outriggin and downriggin gear , i still have it all , may use it next year , 

i did tie fies once when i could see and my fingermentation was better but that is long gone , i can dry fly or wet fly just fine as the circumstances require , im about 100yds from a fishin hole and about eight blocks from the mississippi , 

I grew up not far from Lake Michigan, the Muskegon River, Manistee River, the Pierre Marquette, the Au Sable etc and I've never fly fished for trout. Bluegills yes. That was a ton of fun. We bait fished for trout, steelhead, brookies and the occasional brown trout. Fly fishing just wasn't what I grew up with. My grandpa did it some but didn't pass it along.

fly fishing is more magic than most styles of fishing 

most times you will do better with a wet fly or a streamer style fly 

dry flys are for when the fish are active on top , rising to hatching insects or bugs falling into the water 

if you find a "hot" pod of fish , you can create your own hatch , with several cast into the same current lane 

CB 

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What is the difference?  How do you know when to use which?

When you can't see them use a wet. If you can see them use a pitchfork. Oh wait, that's salmon fishing.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What is the difference?  How do you know when to use which?

The water will tell you. Learning to read the water is a true gift, and makes the fishing MUCH more interesting. 

Dimples on the surface do not necessarly mean a dry fly. Some times the fish will take nymphs, or rising caddis pupa just under the surface. They most likely will ignore a surface fly at such times. Remember, you are in the fish's dinning room. They know what they want. they don't care about your fly boxes contents. Even the largest fish has a small brain, but it is hard wired into a few things. 

1. Survival from above. Watch out for Birds feeding on fish. 

2. What is for breakfast or dinner? Fish will key on something the recognize as food. 

3. Reproduction. But that is a once a year project. But a powerful one, especially for anadromous species. 

Then there is the depth, clarity and temperature of the water. And the nature of what is flying over the water and where they are located in relation to the caster.  

And don't overlook the poetry of watching the fly line roll out over the water like a graceful swan.

There I fixed it. :)

3 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

And don't overlook the poetry of watching the fly line roll out over the water like a graceful 

Edited just now by Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

Like a graceful WHAT?????

The view from my cabin yard. This is Bennett Creek. Flows to the Muskegon River. Some brook trout in the deeper sections and under fallen trees and cutbanks.

IMG_20191027_092726976.jpg

21 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The view from my cabin yard. This is Bennett Creek. Flows to the Muskegon River. Some brook trout in the deeper sections and under fallen trees and cutbanks.

IMG_20191027_092726976.jpg

Looks YUMMY, Slim.  My little 3 wt was made just for that. Fishing a soft hackle would be deadly!

Thanks for sharing.

ED: Brookies are fun. They will eat anything. 

BMC has a point , reading the water and fish therein , is an art , more akin to hunting 

very slight clues , and you have to see then when they happen , 

I have found if you can get a fish to chase , you can catch that fish (trout) 

small mouth are much more wary , perch (sunfish) are a blast and not easely spooked 

CB 

Strange fish story, but true. I had returned to my youth, back in SE Missouri to visit my cousin. We decided to fish a small Southern Illinois lake. I had my fly rod with me and my blue gill spinning rod. I had decided to try catching blue gill with a fly rod. I threw a few small flies on a box and took them along.  Well, we had been fishing for quite a while, when we decided to crack open a libation to fight the heat, and gobble a PB&J in the bargan. We were against the bank, under a big tree with shady branches overhead. I had tied up a big white maggot looking fly, with just some white yarn and black thread for ribbing. So I tied it in my leader and dropped it into the water to see what it looked like in the water. When it hit the water it plopped and sank right to the bottom. That was about 6 inches. Before I could get a good look at it, a yellow perch zoomed in grabbed it and took off.  The fight was longer than the cast. I released the fish, but I have never had another maggot moment since. 

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

The Hula Popper and Jitterbug! Add in a Crazy Crawler and you have my childhood!

And a Shyster!

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And a Shyster!

I had to look that one up. I just started using skirts and blades a couple of years ago. 

How about a garden worm  i.e. garden hackle

Archived