SASS Wire Forum

Shooting with only ONE pistol?

Wade Butcher

On 12/11/2020 at 5:47 PM, evil dogooder said:

So does an elderly/infirm or new shooter who shoots over 100 second stages.    Last time I checked there are no rules that say you have to shoot the stage fast. 

My father, on the the few matches he shoots, walks from position to position.   He has no desire to shoot fast.  He is there to enjoy the day.   He pays the same as everyone else and deserves the same consideration.  

While I'm not infirm, I ain't young either and started shooting Cowboy matches at an older age then many shooters here. I'll never be fast, but I always have fun. And that's why I keep going to matches (or at least I did until the pandemic shut everything down out here).  It's not unusually for me to trail the mid-pack shooters by 75-100 seconds on a 6 stage match. I've never been made to feel that I was "slowing" my posse down, quite the opposite. I've always been given welcome advise on getting faster and more accurate (slow for me doesn't mean I shoot clean). I can only remember one club when I first moved to Washington where I felt like I they didn't want an old slow guy around. I never went back and found another club instead even though it's a far piece further to drive. Evil Dogooder, I appreciate your attitude about us slowpokes.

We had shooter that used a 7 shot Spencer, he loved to talk to the TO during the stage. His favorite line was "do I have a P yet?" He would have to load the last 3 rounds in that old Spencer on the clock. Took him as long as he wanted. I would ask for him on my posse when ever I could get him with me...I would give anything to be able to shoot with that cowboy again.

There is more in friendship then in shooting fast.

Back to OP, when we were shooting our one pistol category some of us would hide behind the closest prop while we reloaded like we would have in the old days. I have motioned the spotters to get down, peaked out before coming out from behind the wall or prop. This sport used to be more about fun and less about speed. I still love it but it has changed over the last 20 years.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not banging’ on you Cheyenne Ranger. Apologies if you think so, but this is what SASS has become. Since I came back in 2016 after a 15 year hiatus it saddens me to see what SASS has become. 

No problems here, I see this as eveyone sharing their position.  

I always thought frontiersman could be the ultimate gamers with a single Walch 12 shot 36 cal... somebody should make a repro...

Archived