SASS Wire Forum

Shooting with only ONE pistol?

Wade Butcher

I've searched for the answer, but I must be using the wrong keywords, because all my results have to do with shooting with one gun out at a time (a la gunfighter) .

I'm curious... I always read and hear that to start shooting SASS, you need two pistols. But do you NEED two pistols, or is that simply suggested in order to save reloading time (the New York reload)? In other words, if I wanted to shoot a match with only ONE pistol (and I didn't mind burning a little time by reloading), would that be against the rules?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

W.B.

Gunfighter style means shooting five rounds with right hand, five with the left.  Typically both revolvers out at the same time.  Shooting one revolver at a time, unsupported, is Duelist style.

The rules allow a shooter with a single revolver to reload it on the clock.  In 11 years I’ve never seen it done but it’s legal.  I don’t see it because someone on the Posse will lend the new shooter a second revolver.

Alternatively, a shooter with a single revolver could fire five rounds per stage, and take the five second penalty for each unfired round.  I’ve seen that a couple of times with a Buckaroo when no one else had a .22 revolver to lend.

SHP pg 39

Revolver Requirements

Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use in SASS main match competition. The rules relative to SASS approved revolvers depend upon the competition category in which one participates. Sights are a major factor for determining in which category a revolver may be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of revolver and ammunition be used. Please see the shooting categories for further information. No more than two main match revolvers may be carried to the firing line. 

Gunfighters are the only category where having two holsters is required.

SHB pg 7

Two holsters are required, one on each side. 

when I first got my Uberti 12 shot 22 I bought to range to show everyone how heavy it was .. everyone who want to try it shot 12 quiet 22s  

I was allowed to use it one time  load 10 rounds I saved time with no gun change  but was still mid pack 

46 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

At a monthly, most clubs would let you shoot one handgun with an on the clock reload.  It's called Real Cowboy.

If you shoot "Movie Cowboy," you gun magically shoots as many as you want with no reloading:P 

51 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

to be fair this would slow the entire posse's movement from stage to stage.

have to remember it's not about a single person but will affect everyone

So does an elderly/infirm or new shooter who shoots over 100 second stages.    Last time I checked there are no rules that say you have to shoot the stage fast. 

My father, on the the few matches he shoots, walks from position to position.   He has no desire to shoot fast.  He is there to enjoy the day.   He pays the same as everyone else and deserves the same consideration.  

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I don't think the rare occurrence where someone's uses thirty extra seconds per stage is goin to affect too many people.  

2 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I don't think the rare occurrence where someone's uses thirty extra seconds per stage is goin to affect too many people.  

i hope not - i do it some , but then if someone thinks it "unfair" that i participate because i slow a posse i guess i could just walk away - no i guess not , 

It does seem a little funny that we drive to and from the range and spend 3 hours at the range, all for 3 minutes of shooting........................

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

It does seem a little funny that we drive to and from the range and spend 3 hours at the range, all for 3 minutes of shooting........................

and then on the second stage time time is 2:30 :D

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

Weren't the early days of SASS done with one pistol? 

Asking for a friend.

Yes, I started in 1996 and that was the last year with only one pistol, at least around here anyway.

I used a LaMatt at a local match once, 9 rounds of .44 ball and a .69 patched ball out of the shootgun barrel.  Was fun but the Sundial used to time me ran out of sun.  The .69 ball will ring the steel real good.

13 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Yes, this is what this “game” seems to be all about now. Rush the stages. Make them fast 10-10-4. Keep the, dare I say it, “Gamers” happy. 

Not banging’ on you Cheyenne Ranger. Apologies if you think so, but this is what SASS has become. Since I came back in 2016 after a 15 year hiatus it saddens me to see what SASS has become. 

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

Weren't the early days of SASS done with one pistol? 

Asking for a friend.

Yea it was. That changed in 1997...I had just joined SASS and had just as I had put all my guns and gear together and then I read in the Chronicle that “Now two pistols required per stage!”. I believe the bi-line read something  like; “Now we can have even more fun.” :)

Unfortunately for me times were tough back then so it took me another 6 months before I could afford to buy another Vaquero. I didn’t know that SASS folks were so nice that someone or ten might be so kind as to loan me a gun. Lots of really nice folks in SASS then and now. 

This does give me an idea though. Perhaps SASS should consider going back to it’s roots. ;)

The way the economy is and as much as it costs to get into this game these days maybe there should be a one revolver (pistol) class. It might attract more new players. 

15 hours ago, Wade Butcher said:

I've searched for the answer, but I must be using the wrong keywords, because all my results have to do with shooting with one gun out at a time (a la gunfighter) .

I'm curious... I always read and hear that to start shooting SASS, you need two pistols. But do you NEED two pistols, or is that simply suggested in order to save reloading time (the New York reload)? In other words, if I wanted to shoot a match with only ONE pistol (and I didn't mind burning a little time by reloading), would that be against the rules?

W.B.

Yes it is legal.

15 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Gunfighter style means shooting five rounds with right hand, five with the left.  Typically both revolvers out at the same time.  Shooting one revolver at a time, unsupported, is Duelist style.

The rules allow a shooter with a single revolver to reload it on the clock.  In 11 years I’ve never seen it done but it’s legal.  I don’t see it because someone on the Posse will lend the new shooter a second revolver.

Alternatively, a shooter with a single revolver could fire five rounds per stage, and take the five second penalty for each unfired round.  I’ve seen that a couple of times with a Buckaroo when no one else had a .22 revolver to lend.

See my avatar, that's me reloading on the clock after one revolver went down during the shoot through for the Southeast Regional. You have now seen it done.

13 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Oh gee, pardon someone for slowing you down. A whole extra 15-20 seconds per stage.

Okay, NEW CAS shooter here, been a fan for years but didn't have a SASS club near that didn't run on Sundays, so never got into it. When we decided to move after the Missus retired, found out there was a very good club only 7 miles from our house. Went there today just to see how it ran and was welcomed warmly, made to feel very welcome. I had the luxury of being able to prepare with disposable income, something many folks do not enjoy. I can see a "Newcomer" category being very welcome to new shooters, who did not have that luxury. Also, something I did not realize, was that by entering age based categories, you don't HAVE to choose either Classic or B Western . It caused me to spend and/or trade for additional guns that I might not have done.

And the welcome here for new shooters is usually great. Also, the comraderie is very good overall. These are the things we need to expand on.

21 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

I wonder if a Schofield might help on the reload on the clock?

19 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

My father, on the the few matches he shoots, walks from position to position.   He has no desire to shoot fast.  He is there to enjoy the day.   He pays the same as everyone else and deserves the same consideration.  

Us elderly folks have learnt to stop and smell the flowers on our walk through life.

Yay for your father!

(Just don't plant any flowers at the range. You'll need a calendar to time him.):lol:

We used to offer a category with only one pistol with a full reload. Yes the Schofield did speed up the process but the only thing I could hit with it was the ground. 

Just now, Tn Tombstone said:

We used to offer a category with only one pistol with a full reload. Yes the Schofield did speed up the process but the only thing I could hit with it was the ground. 

That's funny right there.

I was thinking of shooting some big bore for fun. But then decided to have an operation instead.:lol:

I had a Schofield that I was looking forward to shooting. Glad I got it off to its new owner now.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

I wonder if a Schofield might help on the reload on the clock?

That's the exact reason I was asking. It's fun to pop open the Schofield, and there's something kinda Zen about reloading more rounds. Why rush? Enjoy the reload. At least, those are the thoughts that ran thru my head while daydreaming about shooting with a Schofield.

WARNING: I'm a newbie, so I'm admittedly biased by my own ignorance. :)

W.B.

TO BE FAIR & CLEAR: I'm not joining SASS for the speed or any hopes of becoming a future pro shooter. I just want to play cowboy and make loud BANG! BLAM! POW! noises on a Saturday afternoon.

Waimea, did the operation involve electricity or maybe a big hole saw?

If you tried that Schofield the way we shoot, this point of impact is about 10 inches low due to the sweep of the grip.

3 hours ago, Wade Butcher said:

and make loud BANG! BLAM! POW! noises on a Saturday afternoon.

Hell son, I make them noises every day.

Or at least every morning when I get up out of bed... :lol:

3 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Waimea, did the operation involve electricity or many a big hole saw?

If you tried that Schofield the way we shoot, this point of impact is about 10 inches low due to the sweep of the grip.

I ain't exactly sure what the h3ll they did to me.

I was hoping for some enhancement (if you know what I mean :lol:) but instead they gutted me like a...... gutted .... something.

So anyhow, the dreams of big bore fun have to be put on hold temporarily.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, Wade Butcher said:

W.B.

SASS gives local match directors the ability to allow anything they want to, and experiment with ways of doing things.  For instance, in September, just for grins, I shot a match with 4 percussion revolvers... no shotgun or rifle.  Since that's only 20 shots, I had to switch out a cylinder and cap on the clock for the rest.   180 seconds isn't too long for a stage is it???  :lol:

Call the contact person of the club you wish to shoot at... I'm sure they'll tell you to bring whatcha got!

Archived