SASS Wire Forum

How much match ammo do you keep loaded?

Badlands Bob #61228

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I was fishing on Norris Lake with Blackwater just a couple weeks back when our boat capsized.   I had most of my pistols in the

boat and now they are on the bottom of Norris Lake.   Blackwater can testify.   I think his boots are still wet.

Blackwater lost a few of his pistols also.    Kur-Plunk, right to the bottom of the lake.

Insurance covered the boat loss but not the pistols.   To bad..... So sad!  :(

Oh yea, the S&W 627 that I had borrowed from TN Williams was also with me and went to its watery grave with all the others.

Luckily, Blackwater is family to TN and was able to testify to the event.   Glad I had a reliable, honest and trustworthy witness.

Without the witness of Blackwater, I'm afraid that TN would have never believed me..... :o

:D

..........Widder

At least you were kind enough to let ole TN know what lake his valuable pistol is located in.  I heard he had the best nanner split huntin' hound in TN, you just know that pistol is loaded with nanner split juice.....maybe even some peanut butter lube too.  Surely that hound can dive down and locate ole TN's pistol.  :lol:

Kajun

Hmmmm.... Blackwater as your witness...... Can you say conviction?!?!? 

But Your Honor! Blackwater just told you......

Yes, I know. Say the judge.

14 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hmmmm.... Blackwater as your witness...... Can you say conviction?!?!? 

But Your Honor! Blackwater just told you......

Yes, I know. Say the judge.

Slim,

For your information, Blackwater has one of the highest, more reputable reputations in Bucksnort, TN.

Just ask his uncle, The Judge.

:o

..........Widder

Shotshells enough for about 10 two day matches ,,,,,,,,,, Revolver & Rifle about 30 two day matches,,,,, Long range 3-4 matches ...

But I haven't started loading for Next year yet ...

Jabez Cowboy

Shotshells enough for about 10 two day matches ,,,,,,,,,, Revolver & Rifle about 30 two day matches,,,,, Long range 3-4 matches ...

But I haven't started loading for Next year yet ...

Jabez Cowboy

I laugh in minor warlord.

I've shot maybe 700 of the 3950 .45 Colt I loaded last winter. I have several .30 and .50 caliber cans full of loose .45acp suitable for Wild Bunch. somewhere between 450 and 500 each .38-55 and .45-70. 500 reloaded 12ga and a case and half of Win AA LNLR 12ga. That's the SASS appropriate ammo.

As for the rest......see minor warlord comment above. .22lr probably close to 30K, .223 15K+, not even going bother guesstimating .308, .30-06, 9mm, jacketed .45acp, etc. Except for the .22 and 9mm most of it handloads.

i think any prudent shooter would keep all the brass he owns loaded as often as possible so he would always be ready to go to a shoot or more as often as possible , i also keep everything else i need or might want at hand as well - readily available and instantly usable - only prudent thing to do , 

all that said , anyone reading here recently knows i have a lot of 4570 to load and a lot of 38 to load when primers are available again , i do have enough to suffice till then i think tho , 

have got this years shooting to reload after the first of the year , i have what i need for that 

Well Bob you would ask that.  I try to keep all our CAS brass loaded, but it's been pretty busy since about September, so I haven't been reloading.  We're down to about 3,000 rounds of .32, give or take a couple of hundred rounds either way.  It looks like we're down to maybe 6,500 rounds of .38, again give or take a few hundred either way.  Meanwhile there is a lot of dirty brass out in the garage that I plan on cleaning and reloading right away, or at least by next year.

Oh, and I think we have about 10 cases of 12 gauge, so maybe enough to get through the summer. 

I load in the winter.  Right now I only have about 450, but it’ll be near 2000 by New Year’s Day.  

On 12/11/2020 at 7:01 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

What would I need ammunition for??

I don’t have any guns!!!

But, but, I gave you all of mine.  What'd you do with them?

25 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

But, but, I gave you all of mine.  What'd you do with them?

Perhaps a case of mistaken identity? <_<

You Honor! I have no recollection of any such event!! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Perhaps a case of mistaken identity? <_<

You Honor! I have no recollection of any such event!! :rolleyes:

"Uncle Jedidiah, I mean 'Your Honor', I have no earthly clue as to what this man speaks".

..........Widder

8 months of shooting season is always followed by 4 months of reloading season

By the end of April each year I have ready for;

Cowboy Action 1) wife 3,300 rds of .38 spl

2) Me  1,700 rds of .44 Mag, 1,700 rds .45 Colt

Long Range & BAMM 1) 200 rds .32-40

2) 100 rds .45-70

3) 300 rds 6.5x 55mm

Wild Bunch, Action Pistol & 3 Gun Matches 1) 2,500 rds of .45 acp

2) rifle caliber for 2021 to be decided by the Supreme Court of Canada (hopefully soon)

This only counts as match ammo and does not include weekly practice ammo during the winter in the local indoor range.

I've got around three thousand loaded .45 Colt rounds (every bit of brass I own), and a case and a half of 12 gauge.

Alas - I'm just like the atheist's tombstone - "All dressed up and nowhere to go!".

SC

I usually keep a hunerd or so loaded.

Then a day or two before the match I whip myself into a frenzy and load a couple dozen more to make sure I have enough.:lol:

Sometimes I forget and have to light a candle and load a few the night before. Don't worry, Kajun, I keep the candle far away from the powder.

Archived