SASS Wire Forum

Primers

Will Lynchem

LGS actually had limited supply of primers today. Federal SP, CCI Small Rifle and Large Pistol. Limit 500 each type with 1000 limit per day. I bought my limit, then texted a couple of cowboys with what I had for them. Now at least 2 cowboys are a little better off now.

Powder shelf was pretty empty. I didn't even bother looking at the ammo aisle. Pistol  display cases were the most empty that I have seen in a while. 

45 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

LGS actually had limited supply of primers today. Federal SP, CCI Small Rifle and Large Pistol. Limit 500 each type with 1000 limit per day. I bought my limit, then texted a couple of cowboys with what I had for them. Now at least 2 cowboys are a little better off now.

Powder shelf was pretty empty. I didn't even bother looking at the ammo aisle. Pistol  display cases were the most empty that I have seen in a while. 

If ya don’t mind me asking, were the prices the same as before the shortage?

5 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

If ya don’t mind me asking, were the prices the same as before the shortage?

Only $2-$3 more per sleeve. $6.99/100 for CCI LP and $7.99/100 for Federal SP.

I usually buy primers by the case so I really don't keep tabs on single sleeve prices but I think the prices weren't really gouging.

Wish I had some magic advice on the SPP. I don’t. As far as 209s, I would see if your local shotgun club has any. If you’re not a member, consider joining. My SG club has a building full of shot, powder, wads and primers for members to buy at “yesterday’s” prices. They’re controlling quantities, but that’s fair. Most of the bigger clubs have a components program for members. Worth a try. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Only $2-$3 more per sleeve. $6.99/100 for CCI LP and $7.99/100 for Federal SP.

I usually buy primers by the case so I really don't keep tabs on single sleeve prices but I think the prices weren't really gouging.

That’s $80 per k or $400 per case for Federal small pistol. Don’t know what others had been paying but I was paying around $150 per case for these primers a year ago. If prices stay like this and prices for other reloading components follow suit, it will be time for the wife and I to find a new hobby. 

I don't like the idea of higher prices either, but let's not over react.   

Based on yesterday's prices I was reloading .38 at about 8.5 cents a round. That was with primers at about 3.2 cents each, or in Doc's case 3 cents each.  If that $400 a case sticks in the future that jacks the price of a primer up to about 8 cents, so a loaded round would then cost me about 13.3 cents. 

With Sharyn and I shooting a little over a thousand rounds a month that means the cost of shooting would go up about $50 bucks a month, for two people each shooting 4-5 matches.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't like the idea of higher prices either, but let's not over react.   

Based on yesterday's prices I was reloading .38 at about 8.5 cents a round. That was with primers at about 3.2 cents each, or in Doc's case 3 cents each.  If that $400 a case sticks in the future that jacks the price of a primer up to about 8 cents, so a loaded round would then cost me about 13.3 cents. 

With Sharyn and I shooting a little over a thousand rounds a month that means the cost of shooting would go up about $50 bucks a month, for two people each shooting 4-5 matches.

Now, you need to add in the increased prices for powder, cases, & bullet. 

So lucky we bought our 5yr supply from PVI and Bear Creek Supply last year before this started.

OLG

20 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So lucky we bought our 5yr supply from PVI and Bear Creek Supply last year before this started.

OLG

Exactly!  You can’t expect to see the powder, brass, and bullet makers just sit by and watch the primer manufacturers make all the money. It’s a business and I’m sad to say, the American way is to charge as much as the consumer is willing to pay. 

But if you already have powder and bullets and have to buy only primers at $80 per thousand it's around $7.00 extra to shoot a match. Again, I'd skip plinking at the range but $7.00 wouldn't stop me from shooting a match. If you have no components or ammo you are out of luck.

54 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

I haven't purchased powder lately, so I don't know what my brand is going for, last I looked it wasn't available.  My brass cost hasn't changed and neither has the cost of bullets.

Last night I heard from some fellow shooters that they went to Erie PA and were able to purchase some Federal SPP.  I called them this morning and they told me that they were all sold out.  But the fact that they had some may mean that Federal is shipping again.  I truly hope so.

Our Academy stores ( three within seven miles of me)  have barely been able to get ammo for people.  The ones who buy to resale at two to three times the price get there 30 minutes to an hour early to buy the three boxes they are allowed and so within 20 minutes of opening all ammo is gone.  Today I got hope that maybe it will not be more than a couple of months till primers become available because today there was plenty of ammo on the shelf even two hours after opening.  I have been buying 22 ammo for me and my cowboy friends.  Our tiny club will have an “aged buckaroo” in order to let shooters save regular match ammo for annuals and above.  The fact ammo is more available gives me hope I will soon see small pistol primers.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I haven't purchased powder lately, so I don't know what my brand is going for, last I looked it wasn't available.  My brass cost hasn't changed and neither has the cost of bullets.

Just wait <_<

OLG 

I have not been able to find any small primers. I went to Evansville, In and one shop had large pistol primers and did not have any small pistol primers.. The Federal Large Magnum primers were $42.38 ( w/tax @06.9%=45.30) and Large Winchester at $52.06 (w/tax 55.65) per 1000. I got the last box of Federals and I could have bought all the Winchester I wanted but not sure how much more he had. He had CCI large pistol for $55.98 per 1000. He also had bunch Federal Gold Match Large primers at just over $80.00 per 1000. (When he said $80 I quit listening). I don't load shotgun so I did not ask about 209 primers, however our local shop had them last Monday. I bought 2000 primers since I shoot 44's most of the time.

I have been looking for 9mm dies for my Dillon Square deal and my 650 ( dies and conversion kit)and can not find them Most stuff listed on the Dillon site is marked back-ordered. I saw a Square Deal on the shelf at one place for $375 setup in 38/357. The was about $75 less than current price. Almost everywhere I went  the stores had very few handguns to sell.

Archived