SASS Wire Forum

Primers

Will Lynchem

Can anybody out there in sass country please tell me how and where I can procure some small pistol primers regular  or Magnum and also some shot shell primers like Winchester W209s ????? Thanks in advance , Will Lynchem

One local gun shop has shotgun primers but they limit it to 500 and you have to buy powder at the same time,

Another local gun shop has some primers from the 1960s at $8 per hundred. I have an alert on ammoseek but while powder keeps popping up, no primers ever come up. Best bet is to haunt local shops and flea markets and see what comes out of the woodwork. The two downsides are the price and you don't know if they have been stored properly.

CCI standard 209 shotshell primers:  https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/shooting/reloading/cci-primers-209-standard-shotshell.html

Federal Small Pistol Primers, limit 1 box of 1000  https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/federal-100-champion-primers-small-pistol-15486.html

By the time you read this they may be out of stock.  Keep searching.  It's frustrating, stores are only getting small shipments and sell out quickly.  

Internet auction sites (Hibid or Proxibid). be prepared to pay ~150.00 per thousand.....   At that price you can still load cheaper than buying loaded ammo.  and remember,  primers = shooting, no primers = no shooting. 

5 hours ago, Will Lynchem said:

Can anybody out there in sass country please tell me how and where I can procure some small pistol primers regular  or Magnum and also some shot shell primers like Winchester W209s ????? Thanks in advance , Will Lynchem

If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse near you check them frequently.  Mine has CCI small pistol primers on the shelf.  Limit 1 box of 1000.  On sale at 23.99  

If you have Academy Sports near you, check them also.  They have Winchester small pistol primers, selling at 4.99 per 100   They don't have large quantities, but you may get lucky.

Big R stores in the SouthWest have small quantities in stock.

I got a hold of 3000 old CCI LG pistol primers at a ridiculous price. Gun shop bought out a bunch of guns and ammo/reloading stuff from an estate of a NRA Target Pistol shooter. I hope they'll work. I'll use 'em for .45 acp

Local gun store here has 209A shotguns primers, limited to 1K per day per customer.  They also "had" CCI and Federal Large Pistol primers one day this week, limited to 3 sleeves per customer per day.  They are selling at normal prices, no gouging.  Best advice, check often and get friendly with the guy running the reloading section.  With the LPP he had them behind the counter and not on the shelves, you had to ask for them.  

Currently small pistol primers are being made out of Unaubtanium and are therefor hard to find.

9 hours ago, Will Lynchem said:

Gunbroker

The last time I was in Full Circle (formerly Graf's Reloading in St. Charles, MO)  they had about 20,000 Shotgun primers.  Some Remington, maybe 5000 Winchester, and a bunch of some other brand I don't recall at the moment.  I got 5000 Win. 209's from them about two months ago.  I was there and bought some powder ~3 weeks ago.  Just shotshell primers.  No primers for anything else.  Prices seemed pretty reasonable.  I'm sure HAZMAT shipping charges will apply.

www.fullcirclereloading.com

Email:  contact@fullcirclereloading.com

Good luck.

Angus

5 hours ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

CCI standard 209 shotshell primers:  https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/shooting/reloading/cci-primers-209-standard-shotshell.html

Federal Small Pistol Primers, limit 1 box of 1000  https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/federal-100-champion-primers-small-pistol-15486.html

By the time you read this they may be out of stock.  Keep searching.  It's frustrating, stores are only getting small shipments and sell out quickly.  

This dealer is not currently shipping primers. The notice is on their front page. 

PowderValley had some available few weeks ago.  Dang near crashed their website and it was limited to 1K of each type.  Just be diligent and check the various sites often.  The price was right, $33/1K, but shipping and Hazmat doubled that.  So it came out to be about $60/1K if that's all you managed to get in your cart.

Totes

I've seen small pistol primers SELL for $350/1000, delivered, on Gunbroker lately. Sportsman's Warehouse gets them in fairly regularly, but in quantities of maybe only 10,000 or less at a time, limit 1000, and if you're not standing right there when somebody's stocking them, you're SOL. Small rifle primers will work fine too, if you can find any.

The local WalMart had 21 boxes (100 count) of CCI209's on the shelf for weeks, so a month or so back, I picked those up - haven't seen primers at a WalMart since.

4 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've seen small pistol primers SELL for $350/1000, delivered, on Gunbroker lately. Sportsman's Warehouse gets them in fairly regularly, but in quantities of maybe only 10,000 or less at a time, limit 1000, and if you're not standing right there when somebody's stocking them, you're SOL. Small rifle primers will work fine too, if you can find any.

Thanks I have 12,000 small rifle primers from the days when we could own AR 15s in CA 

going to to test some in a 357 

When I was the Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, I talked to a CCI rep at a seminar and she said CCI's standard small rifle primer was the same primer as their small magnum pistol primer, just different packaging.

Thanks everyone for the in put. Wont buy from gun broker, what a ripoff!!!!!! We do have a Sportsmans Warehouse and I will keep checking. 

They got a shipment last week and some greedy SOB waited til the store opened and bought everything they had. Most likely to resale at some ridiculous inflated price like gun broker. Is it legal to shoot people like that?????? 

3 minutes ago, Will Lynchem said:

Thanks everyone for the in put. Wont buy from gun broker, what a ripoff!!!!!! We do have a Sportsmans Warehouse and I will keep checking. 

They got a shipment last week and some greedy SOB waited til the store opened and bought everything they had. Most likely to resale at some ridiculous inflated price like gun broker. Is it legal to shoot people like that?????? 

Gunbroker doesn't set the price, and nobody's forcing buyers to bid. ;)

The Sportsman's Warehouse stores here have started putting primers aside, then stocking them at some random time on another day in an attempt to thwart the same few people waiting every week for the truck to show up.

What was normal price for Federal 100 primes? Been so long since I bought them to compare current prices.

They were 27-35 bucks around Southern IL

Just shy of a month ago, on November 16, I paid $29.99 for 1000 F100's at Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula. They had two, plus 6000 CCI small rifle, but a limit of a thousand per customer. Someone else standing right there got the other one, and two other folks snagged two of the CCI's before I even cleared the aisle. 

I paid $30-$35 per 1,000 last year at Cowboy matches.  It was from a Cowboy vender and I bought a 5k sleeve.  I've still got about 12k SPP but I'm starting to get concerned.  Not worried or panicking yet, but concerned.

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

When I was the Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, I talked to a CCI rep at a seminar and she said CCI's standard small rifle primer was the same primer as their small magnum pistol primer, just different packaging.

If what she is saying is true then we can use a CCI small magnum pistol primer in place of CCI small rifle primers for reloading rifle rounds!  I've heard that you can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers but not the other way; using small pistol primers in place of small rifle primers.

Kajun

17 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I paid $30-$35 per 1,000 last year at Cowboy matches.  It was from a Cowboy vender and I bought a 5k sleeve.  I've still got about 12k SPP but I'm starting to get concerned.  Not worried or panicking yet, but concerned.

Switch to .22's.

Not gonna help my business but I figure on getting droned pretty early on as an enemy of the state anyhow.:lol:

A good price is 0.04 cents a primer ! Don't ask me how I know!!! Lol:D

Primers I bought June 2016 I've almost used up reloading for the 2021 CAS season.   Unfortunately  the last box didn't have the price on it.

Primers I bought June 2018 I paid $37 per thousand.

Primers bought July 2018 I paid $37 per thousand.

The last primers I bought was May 2020 and still were at the cost of $37 per thousand.

Like playing the stock market, time to firearm related items buy is when the price is lower, not during the Obama Panic #1, Obama Panic #2 or during the China Flu Panic.

21 hours ago, Major Bill said:

Thanks for primer price input. Just have to pick my matches until world gets back on track.

That's exactly what I'm going to do!

Assuming a shooter has powder, bullets and brass purchased at normal prices, even at $80 per thousand for primers you are talking about $7.50 extra for a six stage match. I wouldn't just go plinking with 8 cent primers but I  wouldn't let that stop me from shooting a match. If you have to buy everything at current prices it adds up pretty quick. Even if you're shooting 3 matches a month that's less then an additional $25. Skip going out to lunch afterwards or skimp somewhere else.

The best thing to do when/if this present primer crunch eases up is to buy all you can, when you can. The way the political winds are blowing lately, you'd be a fool not to. I'm glad I stocked up with everything I could after the last Great Panic.

Archived