SASS Wire Forum

Someday, you get sick for the last time...

Three Foot Johnson

... but this wasn't it, apparently.

I woke up early Tuesday with a swollen and horribly painful left leg, so I dragged myself out to the garage and off to the VA emergency room. After some x-rays & ultrasounds, the doc said I had "extensive clotting" from my ankle up the femoral artery all the way to the groin. A couple shots and a prescription regimen for Xarelto twice a day for the next 3 weeks, then once a day for life, and I was released and headed home by early afternoon.

It sure gets you thinking about what's important and what's not. I thought it would take a lot longer to get old. :mellow:

I've been on blood thinners for years, take care, because blood clots in the lungs are not fun!

7 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Yeah, I hear ya.   Every once in a while I look in the mirror and think "how the hell did get to lookin' so damn old".

Dr. O. R.

Put an old portrait picture on your mirror, you’ll look young with hair every morning.

@Three Foot Johnsoncheck your bandages inventory.  When you get cut while taking pills it can bleed and bleed.  

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I thought it would take a lot longer to get old. :mellow:

You have much company with that thought TFJ!    My mind does not feel 79 years old, but some parts of the body do!

You get the wake up call once in awhile!

I am a 25 year cancer survivor. I had rectal ca that spread to my lung. After several years of chemo , Dr said he thought I had it under control. Much better prognosis than his earlier one of a 1 in 10 chance living 5 years. I have has a colostomy for 25 years. About 10 years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst abdominal pain I had ever had. In the ER they discovered a parastomal hernia. Emergency surgery to repair it and move the stoma. I got a massive infection and was in intensive care for a week . Finally got everything under control. My wife told me my Dr said I was lucky to still be here.  

Close call for sure...............

I worry about clots myself. Circulation in both legs below the knees is poor. Been on a drug for that for years. Any cut no matter how small looks 6 times worse than it is. Momma was right, getting' old ain't for sissies:(:rolleyes::blush:

I’m glad they have a treatment.

16 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

... but this wasn't it, apparently.

I woke up early Tuesday with a swollen and horribly painful left leg, so I dragged myself out to the garage and off to the VA emergency room. After some x-rays & ultrasounds, the doc said I had "extensive clotting" from my ankle up the femoral artery all the way to the groin. A couple shots and a prescription regimen for Xarelto twice a day for the next 3 weeks, then once a day for life, and I was released and headed home by early afternoon.

It sure gets you thinking about what's important and what's not. I thought it would take a lot longer to get old:mellow:

Comes on quite rapidly I have found. 

You old guys kinda scare us young ones. Everything goes ka-put the older ya get. Glad I'm still so young.

Infection is the WORST!!  It can sneak up on ya and destroy things you desperately need!!

MRSA is almost impossible to get rid of entirely and can hide for months and then attack without warning!  Got me twice last year and the second time was almost fatal.  It set in on my spine in the neck area and ate up three discs and damaged two vertebrae before they found it!!  I’ve taken so many antibiotics that my own immune system has almost shut down twice.  It seems to take forever for my own system to recover.  

I’m on the way back again to being mostly healthy.  I used to recover from minor injuries in days, if not hours. Now it takes weeks!  What would take a few weeks to recover from now takes months!!  Just started back walking a little last week. Today, I made four trips back and forth to the car from 100 feet away, carrying a set of axles and then a pair of brake rotors.  Took fifteen minutes to get comfortably caught up and catch my breath!!

Gettin’ old ain’t for sissies!!  Even if recovery makes you feel like one!!

Archived