SASS Wire Forum

16 gauge 1897

Prof. Fuller Bullspit

21 minutes ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

Since we're all here...any suggestions on shotshell recipes for 16ga in 1897s?

15 grains 700x Winchester or Remington wads and about 1oz shot. I cut my hulls (Federal or Herters) 3/16”” for easier feeding and ejection.

Abilene exaggerates a mite, I'm sure I don't own over 20% of all the '97 16's out there.  I would tell you how many I do own, but my wife might read this thread so...  Anyhow, I sure do love 'em, but you better be ready to load all of your ammo for them. 

• 1 month later...

I picked up one a few years back. It's in nice shape but I discovered it only has 2 9/16 chambers. I shied away from lengthening the chambers, and did buy a box of period ammunition so I could test fire it. I also discovered a few nice loads, but roll crimping was a pain. I bought a Russian roll crimper, and had issues with the brass rotating and not holding the hull, so I just abandoned the project, the shotgun is in the safe. Love the gauge, but it has it's challenges and nuances for sure. 

Big Boston, ALL 97s have short chambers as they were maid from roll crimped cartridges.  No stock 97 measure for modern 2 3/4 shells but they generally allow enough room to safely shoot modern shells with just a slight increase in pressure and felt recoil.

I'm a little surprised to hear your was that short though.

When I was a new shooter gathering gear I passed up a ‘97 in a local store because it was 16 gauge and at the time I was not set up to load shotshells.  Ended up buying a 12 gauge ‘97 as my cowboy shotgun.

Later on we started offering the occasional Wild Bunch match.  This was before the Wild Bunch rules were changed to allow the Model 12.  I felt I had made a good choice of shotgun since a ‘97 (original or replica) is the only shotgun legal for cowboy and Wild Bunch, if it is 12 gauge.

I own a 16ga 97 - but as I dont load sg shells; I have never used it for cowboy (would need a new belt and all that just to play).

But as I currently pull 4 shells at a time for 12ga - one wonders if pulling 6 would be realistic using 16ga.

Naw, since I already have 12, 12ga 97's (If I just count functioning ones or 15 if I include parts guns as well) - the last thing I need to do is embark on acquiring a bunch of 16ga. guns as well.

8 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Naw, since I already have 12, 12ga 97's (If I just count functioning ones or 15 if I include parts guns as well) - the last thing I need to do is embark on acquiring a bunch of 16ga. guns as well.

Need?  When on Earth has NEED ever been a factor in this decision??? 

Archived