SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Caps

Percussion caps... not to be found anywhere.  Sad or frown face

Musket caps... 209's... but none of the basic revolver and side-lock caps.  Sigh

Might have to consider making my own... but I've read that the home-made ones don't work so well on revolvers.  Something about the soda-can material being too thick. 

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Musket caps... 209's... but none of the basic revolver and side-lock caps.  Sigh

Might have to consider making my own... but I've read that the home-made ones don't work so well on revolvers.  Something about the soda-can material being too thick. 

You need some CCI #11's? I have an unopened tin of 100. I don't know if I can ship them though. Can I? 

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

You are not making an indent in a PC primer you are just hitting the back of it to compress the primer compound against the nipple.

kR

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You need some CCI #11's? I have an unopened tin of 100. I don't know if I can ship them though. Can I? 

You'd have to ship by UPS and pay a  Haz-Mat fee. They can only be shipped  by "Ground". They treat caps, primers and ammo the same. I  guess.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You'd have to ship by UPS and pay a  Haz-Mat fee. They can only be shipped  by "Ground". They treat caps, primers and ammo the same. I  guess.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

That UPS info sorta infers you can make your own Haz-Mat label. Seems odd.

17 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

You are not making an indent in a PC primer you are just hitting the back of it to compress the primer compound against the nipple.

kR

Yup... I started shooting cap 'n' ball revolvers about fifty years ago; had a buddy back in the '70's who made his own caps.  Not to be confused with center-fire primers!  ^_^

It's been a long while since then, and the tool he used (Forster Tap-O-Cap) is no longer available.  There are others, however... or my son's a machinist; he might be able to make a copy.  

I spent time cruising YouTube last night - some guys are turning out some mighty ugly homemade caps, but they seem to work.  Naturally I'd rather buy and shoot factory produced caps, but if they're not available I'll make do.  ;) 

On 12/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yup... I started shooting cap 'n' ball revolvers about fifty years ago; had a buddy back in the '70's who made his own caps.  Not to be confused with center-fire primers!  ^_^

It's been a long while since then, and the tool he used (Forster Tap-O-Cap) is no longer available.  There are others, however... or my son's a machinist; he might be able to make a copy.  

I spent time cruising YouTube last night - some guys are turning out some mighty ugly homemade caps, but they seem to work.  Naturally I'd rather buy and shoot factory produced caps, but if they're not available I'll make do.  ;) 

Hardpan,

I have these:

3 packs of #10 caps “new”

1 open partially used #10 tin, maybe 1/2 full. 
1 pack of # 11 caps “new”

Want em? Send me a PM with your address. I will ship em. 

5B07ED46-81AD-4FF6-AAED-2FFB2DC0287D.thumb.jpeg.cd7b6d6ab6df6664aa318cf98045546a.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hardpan,

I have these:

3 packs of #10 caps “new”

1 open partially used #10 tin, maybe 1/2 full. 
1 pack of # 11 caps “new”

Want em? Send me a PM with your address. I will ship em. 

Sent ya a PM, Pat~!

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The kid who "invented" the Tap-A-Cap brought the prototype (Looked like half a large barn door hinge with a slot in the side) into The Flintlock in Anaheim while I was working there.  He was using strike anywhere match heads for the priming compound at the time.

The owner, Ray Taylor, helped him get Forster and this kid together. 

I had one for years and used it once in awhile.  It worked most of the time, especially if I used sheet brass from the hobby shop down the street.  I don't recall the thickness, but it was thinner than a pop can.

I finally gave it to someone.

Archived