Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge loops on holsters?


Recommended Posts

I don't recall seeing any such rule change allowing cartridge loops on a holster.  However...even  if it is permissible I think it is a bad idea!  The reason is, should the shooter miss the holster body while re-holstering a gun, the muzzle could hit the primer of any remaining cartridges, resulting in shrapnel and or projection of the bullet with enough velocity to at least result in some injury to the shooter's leg or foot.  For this reason, I deleted cartridge loops from my reproduction of the Miller-Fechet holsters, instead of including them as shown by a drawing of the original.  Just sayin'..

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Kirkpatrick's have the loops on the holsters. Certainly not an advantage due to the distance away they are compared to a belt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Thanks all. 

Pale Wolfe , do you or anyone else recall when the rule was changed?

I don't believe it has been too many.

 

I found reference to "holster loops" in a 2007 email exchange with a shooter regarding a Wire discussion.

The ROC's opinion at that time was that they were basically no different than loops on a belt slide, besides the fact that historical precedent existed.

A 2016 ruling was made prohibiting carrying SHOTGUN reloads from holster-mounted loops.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I don't recall seeing any such rule change allowing cartridge loops on a holster.  However...even  if it is permissible I think it is a bad idea!  The reason is, should the shooter miss the holster body while re-holstering a gun, the muzzle could hit the primer of any remaining cartridges, resulting in shrapnel and or projection of the bullet with enough velocity to at least result in some injury to the shooter's leg or foot.  For this reason, I deleted cartridge loops from my reproduction of the Miller-Fechet holsters, instead of including them as shown by a drawing of the original.  Just sayin'..

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Not to cause a disagreement, but I'd be more concerned with a live shotgun shell getting dropped/shucked on gravel than slamming my pistol hard enough outside my holster to cause a discharge of a round in a holster loop that will move upon impact. Some primers won't go bang with light springs, thus not likely with a hand pushed muzzle. JMHO;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

 

I found reference to "holster loops" in a 2007 email exchange with a shooter regarding a Wire discussion.

The ROC's opinion at that time was that they were basically no different than loops on a belt slide, besides the fact that historical precedent existed.

A 2016 ruling was made prohibiting carrying SHOTGUN reloads from holster-mounted loops.

 

Thanks for the timeframe info.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2006 at Mule Camp a shooter pulled a round for a reload from his holster.  He had sewn a "thong" onto his holster to hold the round.   BB RO declared it an illegally acquired round because it wasn't a "proper bullet loop".

 

And so the bullet loop bruhaha began.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago, at the NE Regional Kiddo Caldwell, the woman's champion, jacked out an empty from a 97 that landed on her belt and fired a live shotshell. No harm to anyone, but a bunch of "What happened?" comments followed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

If my old memory serves me correctly, reloads from holsters were illegal at one time but that was changed a few years ago.

On the head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person, in a bandoleer, belt, pouch, holster, or pocket.

SHB - TWELFTH EDITION MARCH 2006 p.16

 

"Holster" was added to the SHB in 2006.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Many years ago, at the NE Regional Kiddo Caldwell, the woman's champion, jacked out an empty from a 97 that landed on her belt and fired a live shotshell. No harm to anyone, but a bunch of "What happened?" comments followed.

I hope she went out and bought a lottery ticket immediately after the match!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB - TWELFTH EDITION MARCH 2006 p.16

 

"Holster" was added to the SHB in 2006.

 

 

Shame on me! We started shooting in 2008, after being 'lost' members for 2 years (joined in 2006, but recieved no information on where or how or who to contact as far as clubs, untill meeting Jersey Kid and Jersey Kid Brother in 2008 EOT and were introduced to local folks)

I seriously have never 'seen' the word holster there!!! 

Thank you all for allowing me to be aware if the correct rules!

Edited by Singin' Sue 71615
Misspelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Page 3 2019 shooters hand book ammo required for loading belts  & holster etc, etc.

It's legal.

Quote: Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carries on the shooters person, in a bandoleer, cartridge / shot shell belt loop pouch, holster, pocket, or be  safely staged as required by stage instructions.. Unquote.

SASS hand book,  version 23.2,  January 2019 page 3.

 

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.