SASS Wire Forum

All,

I am considering trading my Ruger 77/357 for a SASS gun, but new SASS gun will need to pull double duty as my brush busting gun.  I have a pet load I'm working on using the Lee 200 grain bullet in a .357 magnum case.  crimped at the crimp groove it has the same OAL as a 360 Dan Wesson without requiring any modification to the chamber.  this really ups the velocity for my bullet out of a rifle barrel.  The 360 Dan Wesson has an OAL .01 shorter than a 454 Casull so the Rossi 92 action should be able to handle this OAL.

My question is can it do it without modification to the carrier etc?  Does anyone have a R92 357 that they could see if a 1.76 OAL cartridge will cycle on?  I can send a dummy to someone if they want to try it for me.  I'd rather not modify anything in the gun as I would still like to be able to run 38's for CAS.  Please advise.  

What is your bullet profile? I have a 92 and could try it for you.

I assembled a dummy round with a 357 case and a 147g tapered flat nose head, 1.760" OAL , it will chamber but I don't think there is enough room on the carrier to feed out of the magazine tube and pivot up to feed into the chamber.  Another profile I tried was a 158g round nose flat.  It point would not chamber at 1.745" OAL, the crimp was in the lube groove and the bullet moved when I tried to tighten up the case with a slight crimp. 

I only tried to chamber by laying on the carrier when in the elevated position.  Did not want to have to clear a jam by disassembling the magazine tube.  Keep your Ruger 77 for hunting and buy a lever rifle for CAS. 

I like my original 92s but a better gun, in mr opinion, for cowboy action and field work is the Marlin 1894.  The flattop receiver is already drilled and tapped at the factory for optics.  My Marlin runs faster than any of my 92s.

13 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Get ahold of Nate Kiowa Jones (Stevesgunz).  He's the '92 expert.

I'll talk to him!

12 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

What is your bullet profile? I have a 92 and could try it for you.

Mold Dc C358-200-rf - Lee Precision

I could send you a dummy if you want to try it out, It crimps in the crimp groove and the extra OA length is all in the nose, so it shouldn't have any trouble chambering in a .357 rifle as long as it's not a tight throat made for only shooting jacketed bullets.  there is a driving band right in front of the crimp groove that may start to engage the rifling or throat taper depending on the throat profile. 

image.png.23be6060e01c633c4bd0283f7e22a3dd.pngimage.png.0676f0e3e9a4356aaaf49a99369e078d.png

here it is next to a Lee 358-158-RF for reference.

Having all that weight outside the case, allows for more capacity for H110 and increased velocity with the 200 grain projectile versus a 200 grain or 180 grain that's designed for a revolver.

I don't think there is enough room on the carrier to feed out of the magazine tube and pivot up to feed into the chamber.

That probably answers my question.  I might have to look at carrier modifications to get it to work, then I might be stuck using a 200 grain and BP load for CAS to get reliable feeding from the extra long carrier.  Single loading for hunting is also and option, but for close animals, I'd prefer fast follow up shots in the same loading.

Keep your Ruger 77 for hunting and buy a lever rifle for CAS.

If I had disposable income I would.

I have a Rossi and a Browning 92, neither one will reliably cycle anything that is much longer or shorter than 1.590".  Though I suspect if one was willing to directly load the chamber and use the gun as a single shot it would work with longer ammo. 

I would suggest if you want to swap your Ruger for a Rossi to go back to the drawing board and working up a new pet load that reliably feeds through the 92 action.  A 92 will make a great brush gun, but I think you will find the your existing 200gr load a less than ideal setup. 

Another option would be to keep the Ruger and work out an arrangement to borrow/barter for a loaner SASS rifle until funds are available.

9 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I like my original 92s but a better gun, in mr opinion, for cowboy action and field work is the Marlin 1894.  The flattop receiver is already drilled and tapped at the factory for optics.  My Marlin runs faster than any of my 92s.

Maybe it's because I've only handled Winchester's and Henry BB's but I don't like Lever actions with scopes, the guns get too heavy and your cheek weld gets funny and sometimes it's hard enough finding your eye box on a rifle that's aligned for a scope from an improvised shooting position, much less one where you have to put your neck in a funny position.  If I get a lever and use it for hunting, It'll either be irons or red dot while kicking around the brush, and I'll convert my AR to 350 legend for hunting from a stand over a field out to 250 yards with a scope.

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Mold Dc C358-200-rf - Lee Precision

I could send you a dummy if you want to try it out, It crimps in the crimp groove and the extra OA length is all in the nose, so it shouldn't have any trouble chambering in a .357 rifle as long as it's not a tight throat made for only shooting jacketed bullets.  there is a driving band right in front of the crimp groove that may start to engage the rifling or throat taper depending on the throat profile. 

image.png.23be6060e01c633c4bd0283f7e22a3dd.png

This is very close to the profile on the 147's I used set at 1.760

"Single loading for hunting is also and option, but for close animals, I'd prefer fast follow up shots in the same loading."

Two suggested options:

1. Find a suitable 357 hunting load with a shorter OAL that will cycle in the 92.

2. Single load your longer load, then add more rounds in the magazine tube with a suitable 357 hunting load that will cycle in the rifle for follow up shots if needed.

ps: Should only take one shot anyway. :D

Is there not enough room for an adequate powder charge if you load that long nosed bullet in a .38 case?  I went to .38s loaded to .357 Mag overall lengths years ago to make finicky 92’s reliable.

Joe, the photo showed a gaschecked bullet which is illegal for SASS.

I don’t know whether it is possible or advisable to use such a bullet without the gascheck.  Perhaps the experienced bullet casters can chime in.

32 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Joe, the photo showed a gaschecked bullet which is illegal for SASS.

I don’t know whether it is possible or advisable to use such a bullet without the gascheck.  Perhaps the experienced bullet casters can chime in.

I usually powder coat and skip the GC if I'm not loading it to max velocities.

Also, I wouldn't use the 200 gr for SASS unless modifying the gun makes it the only one that'll function.

43 minutes ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

ps: Should only take one shot anyway. :D

it should, I had two tags and a 7 deer run right at me last Saturday, :D  

.Be aware that even it it will chamber your hunting load it may not work with 38 special without some work . I bought a '92 years ago for a backup to my Marlin. If I ran it slow it would work, if I tried to go fast a live round would follow the empty every time I levered the rifle. You might look at a Marlin with a Widdermatic  Conversion, I've seen them feed everything from a .38 Short Colt to a .357 Magnum.

Randy

On 12/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, El CupAJoe said:

All,

I am considering trading my Ruger 77/357 for a SASS gun, but new SASS gun will need to pull double duty as my brush busting gun.  I have a pet load I'm working on using the Lee 200 grain bullet in a .357 magnum case.  crimped at the crimp groove it has the same OAL as a 360 Dan Wesson without requiring any modification to the chamber.  this really ups the velocity for my bullet out of a rifle barrel.  The 360 Dan Wesson has an OAL .01 shorter than a 454 Casull so the Rossi 92 action should be able to handle this OAL.

My question is can it do it without modification to the carrier etc?  Does anyone have a R92 357 that they could see if a 1.76 OAL cartridge will cycle on?  I can send a dummy to someone if they want to try it for me.  I'd rather not modify anything in the gun as I would still like to be able to run 38's for CAS.  Please advise.  

The 454's have different carriers and levers to accommodate the longer rounds.  Even if you mod these parts I don't think it will work. This is because the 357/38 carrier comes up slightly more that the 44/45/454 rises. So the angle from carrier to chamber is more. So, your longer round won't make the turn into the chamber before the bullet hits the top inside of the chamber.

you might consider;

.357/44 Bain & Davis

Archived