SASS Wire Forum

Sea food salad

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Look up recipes for Shrimp Louie Salad dressing.

Or heck... I've just used a decent Thousand Island.  :)

A good Ranch might go well with it.

I agree with the oil and vinegar approach. I use a basic Italian-type with seafood salad; a little more herbed than just oil and vinegar.

Those old standbys-- variations of Thousand Island-- used in restaurant Louies mask the seafood flavors too much for me.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What's a good dressing for this?  It will have crab, salmon, shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, and many non-dark-leafy-green veggies.

It will be served at, or just below, room temperature.

This 1000 Island:

Sour Cream

Catsup

Sweet Pickle Relish

optional Boiled Eggs

I don't have a recipe. I just use enough catsup to turn it light pink.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

An oil and vinegar with some light seasonings in the mix. Maybe salt and fresh pepper but not much more. 

It sounds like a good salad and the dressing should complement the ingredients, not overpower them. 

I tried the one first.  It was GOOOOOOD!

Note: make sure of your ingredients before you start.  I didn't have mussels and about half as much clams as I would have liked.  I use balsamic vinegar and EVOO, Real Salt (Brand name.. Try it You'll like it) and fresh ground black pepper.  I also added a pinch of granulated sugar to ease the balsamic vinegar a bit.

Washed it down with a bottle of Sioux City Sarsaparilla and finished the whole thing off with an apple fritter.

Now I'm back to my new diet to see if I can get back to a decent weight, so...................two weeks of 'healthy', then I'll try one of the other recipes.

Thanks, pards.

I have used a creamy Italian dressing on seafood salad and it was good. Costco creamy Italian or Ken’s Creamy Italian. Ken’s is better. Costco more vinegarie, if that’s a word. 

1/4 cup Light olive oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, a dash of lime, 1/8 tea spoon each chives, basil, dill, 1/4 tea spoon kosher sea salt, coarse black pepper, and garlic to taste.

Mix/shake thoroughly and allow to marinate for a couple of hours, shaking again occasionally. Serve at room temp.

5 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

A good Ranch might go well with it.

Ranch is good with everything!;)

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have used a creamy Italian dressing on seafood salad and it was good. Costco creamy Italian or Ken’s Creamy Italian. Ken’s is better. Costco more vinegarie, if that’s a word. 

it's a word now.

4 hours ago, Fast Tracker said:

Poppy seed. Just don’t go in for a drug test after eating it.

I have had a DOT drug test after eating poppy seed muffins the day before, they said it would be no problem, it would show some of the evidence but would not look like the drugs. Was a clean test.

12 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

I have had a DOT drug test after eating poppy seed muffins the day before, they said it would be no problem, it would show some of the evidence but would not look like the drugs. Was a clean test.

The test levels were raised to differentiate between drug use and dietary use years ago. The excuse “I ate a poppy seed bagel the day before the test.” no carries no weight. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....;)

Archived