SASS Wire Forum

Flightradar24 and the Dragon Lady

This morning I heard an aerial grumbling outside, something small was flying over but sounded a bit throatier than the usual Cessna traffic.

I happened to have my tablet in my had, so out of curiosity I opened Flightradar24.com - but my eye was immediately distracted from the "local" traffic by an icon that appeared to be directly overhead:  a silhouette totally unlike any I've seen here before; it looked very similar to the late Concorde.

Naturally I clicked on the icon.  It immediately turned red, and the data panel reported it was a U-2S!  The Dragon Lady Herself!! Lockheed U-2S  #68-10336!  :lol:

So I've been watching her progress... flight originated near Lancaster, in Southern California, meandered north over the Sierras, then westerly to just south of Fresno.  She next followed Highway 99 to Sacramento; passed over Sac and it's 'burbs three times, then to the Bay Area, south over San Jose, Monterey Bay, a short jaunt over the Pacific then back south.

Interestingly, the data panel showed a fixed altitude of 50,175 ft and reported speeds changing from a low of 232 kts to a high of 630 kts ground speed - much faster than her listed maximum speed capability.  Must be some tailwinds up that high!  The indicated altitude might be a maximum limit for Flightradar - it never varied; I suspect she was a LOT higher.

She now appears to be headed home... probably a training flight, although I s'pose they could be checkin' up on Emperor Newsom....  :rolleyes:

What a fun way to waste time on a Wednesday Mornin'~!  ^_^

1313683771_U-2SHeadedHome.thumb.jpg.db9522827a668082fac739b4207b4f58.jpg

2118601754_U-2S68-10336.thumb.jpg.17fe151d2ba3f3c33b05a6188db3f581.jpg

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... from the title I thought you had news of my ex-mother-in-law ........    :mellow:

Does her broom have a transponder...?  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I still want to know what it was you heard flying over.

I dunno ~ got distracted right quick!  ^_^

Do believe it was something with a round engine....  :)

23 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Saw many U2 flights when living near Plant 42 in PMD.

It's the drones that are really impressive. 

OLG 

Undoubtedly this is one of the birds you saw...  :)

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I believe there are 30 to 33 U2 airplanes still operated by the USAF today.

NASA has one or two. Saw this one land at Salina, KS in the mid 2000s. 
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-046-DFRC.html

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

NASA has one or two. Saw this one land at Salina, KS in the mid 2000s. 
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-046-DFRC.html

NASA has a U2 & SR71.

They are both painted blue and white.

OLG 

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

To me, and I know nothing about anything like this(cue SGT Shultz music) it sounds like a training flight

Nope.They’re tracking Covid carriers. When they shove that probe up your nose they insert a transmitter. I seen it on the Internets! :P

5 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Hardpan, can anyone use that radar tracker?  I think I tried a couple years back and seem to recall you had to have a subscription.

Yep... flightradar24.com is free - but the free version will have an annoying little advertisement in the lower right hand of the screen, and times out after 30 minutes.  When it does time out just hit the refresh button and it'll pick up where you left off.  :)

Like I said earlier, a fun time-waster!  ^_^

11 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Hardpan, can anyone use that radar tracker?  I think I tried a couple years back and seem to recall you had to have a subscription.

Yes.  Today I used it to find the ETA of a charter and it failed to find the flight.  Flightaware was able to find the Cessna right away, listing the ETA and the flight plan arrival time.  Both websites are free.

10 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...she did strange things, ...... besides riding her broom ........   :blink:

Wonderin' if she was related to my ex....  :huh:

Every time I see a full moon rising, I literally have to bite my tongue to keep from blurting out "Son.... Yo' Mama Riiiiides Tonight~!!"   :unsure:

103068256_WitchMoon.thumb.jpg.2af59dd15724f66482c2140c4ddc73c8.jpg

They have to transfer fuel between the various tanks to keep the weight distributed evenly, but no matter how well they balance it for landing one wing will go down when it stops because it's basically like a bicycle without a kickstand. It's a unique combination of 50's technology and some of the most advanced stuff we have. 

Archived