SASS Wire Forum

.22 as Main Match guns

Waimea

On 12/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, Chickamauga Slim said:

I'm set with both and my Wranglers have lighted springs. I'd almost welcome the chance to use them in a match! The loading gate is still a %$Tch to open on those Wranglers.

Try this. Don’t get carried away. I trace with a sharp pencil first for reference, and I squeezed about half the thickness of the loading gate spring.  It helps a lot with the loading gate. 

07AA97CD-EE39-4552-96D1-9B9349880E5C.jpeg

678F4563-4FA3-4636-91B2-BD234E0C3198.jpeg

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

Try this. Don’t get carried away. I trace with a sharp pencil first for reference, and I squeezed about half the thickness of the loading gate spring.  It helps a lot with the loading gate. 

07AA97CD-EE39-4552-96D1-9B9349880E5C.jpeg

678F4563-4FA3-4636-91B2-BD234E0C3198.jpeg

I would only try this after obtaining spares.  I am ham handed and can see myself snapping that spring.

The person who designed the loading gate/cylinder latch interface is headed for a special place:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVxLz6O6MaI

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I would only try this after obtaining spares.  I am ham handed and can see myself snapping that spring.

The person who designed the loading gate/cylinder latch interface is headed for a special place:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVxLz6O6MaI

The spring isn’t that brittle., just squeeze a little.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I got a hard gray look from my wife when I joked about having to possibly buy two .22 SA revolvers and a .22 lever gun so I could shoot CAS.

I decided to leave this subject alone for a while. :lol:

I just bought my 22 wranglers and a henry for our "daughters" . So I have a nice practice pair and rifle that are cheaper and safer to shoot at home. There are all kinds of angles to throw at her. LOL

My daughter has started shooting also. So just in time for my birthday I got my own henry, cause of current gun control scare and I got lots of .22. I'm working on second pair of wranglers however....hmm Xmas?

I bought a Winchester 94 in 22lr many years ago and have used it for practicing for SASS as it is very close to my Marlin main main rifles. I had a Browning 22 and a Marlin 39 but the Winchester felt more like my Marlin 1894 so I sold them. I have had many different single action 22's over the years and I sold my 3-screw Single Sixes and planned on getting a couple Colt peacemakers or Scouts but have not gotten them yet.  I have plenty of 22lr after the shortage i stocked up and I have plenty of primers for now. I sold 6000 primers to two cowboys that was short on primers a couple months ago for a fair price as they were a odd brand I picked up during the shortage and I never got around to using them . I might sell a cowboy a couple hundred primers or 22lrs  if he needed them as I am at about what I consider my minimum level until I get some more.

On 12/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'd enjoy shooting a .22 match just for the fun of it.  Gotta pair of Colt's and and Lightning in the caliber.

Wish I'd bought that FourTen SxS I saw a few years ago, but I didn't...

I have a .410 SxS but I can still find 12 gauge shells a lot cheaper than .410

Randy

Our club has had adult 22 classes for a couple years now, and we do two 22 only matches per year.  We have three reactive targets for pistol/rifle.  On the plate rack with a 22 a hit is a hit, does not have to go down.  On the rolling cowboy take two shots at the activator then move to the target whether it is moving or not.  On the teeter totter, it will trip on 22 anytime so no change.

As noted in another thread, biggest thing is how to check some revolvers at the LT.  We have found some plastic wall anchors are just the right size for snap caps and cheaper, plus wax pencil marks on reach side of the top strap on the empty.  For my kids 22's we used nail polish, including a few layers inside the 6th chamber, no way they could get the 6th in, but came right out with a little cleaner.

i think all clubs should adopt some 22 events for adults - if nothing else it might attract some new shooters , we need them im told , we certainly dont need to lose any because of all the things going on right now , 

ill shoot them if i can - got what i need and ill drag along a couple others as i can equip about three of us or more , have ammo too ,

• 2 weeks later...

I did a match many years ago that used two stage guns [not for every stage], my Ruger .22 vaquero and a model 39 Marlin.  It was a little different having 2 rifle or 3 revolvers. 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:58 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

not caring about brass was nice 

What did you do about the brass? You didn't just leave it there as litter did you? I think of our average winter match in Phoenix at Ben Avery, 120+ shooters! I think it would be harder to find and pick up than normal centerfire brass.

4 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

What did you do about the brass? You didn't just leave it there as litter did you? I think of our average winter match in Phoenix at Ben Avery, 120+ shooters! I think it would be harder to find and pick up than normal centerfire brass.

we rake it all up later .. yes 22 brass is pain to pick up.. my roller only gets half of it 

still waiting for Brass magnet 

I shoot a monthly steel challenge-type match.  It required a center fire firearm to compete.  During one of the many ammo shortages the rules were changed to allow .22 rimfire, with the caveat that only center fire shooters could win or place in a match.  Add a few years and rimfire overwhelms the matches.  Rule change again, rimfire competes with center fire, any gun can win or place.

Over time I have mostly migrated to rimfire.  The equipment is good and the after market flooded with kits to make your gun even faster.  Heck, with my worked over Ruger 10/22, I can sometimes crack the Top Ten.  Of course to do that I spent $500 on a $200 gun.

Fair warning, adding rimfire is the equivalent of letting the proverbial camel get its nose in the tent.  On the other hand, it is huge fun.

2 hours ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

I shoot a monthly steel challenge-type match.  It required a center fire firearm to compete.  During one of the many ammo shortages the rules were changed to allow .22 rimfire, with the caveat that only center fire shooters could win or place in a match.  Add a few years and rimfire overwhelms the matches.  Rule change again, rimfire competes with center fire, any gun can win or place.

Over time I have mostly migrated to rimfire.  The equipment is good and the after market flooded with kits to make your gun even faster.  Heck, with my worked over Ruger 10/22, I can sometimes crack the Top Ten.  Of course to do that I spent $500 on a $200 gun.

Fair warning, adding rimfire is the equivalent of letting the proverbial camel get its nose in the tent.  On the other hand, it is huge fun.

My favorite caliber has always been .22.

I have also learned to love .38 and I was even edging towards .45 LC but now it's back to .22 for the foreseeable future. Times being what they are.

4 hours ago, Bullet Hole Kid SASS#81025 said:

Would a Winchester model 62 a be legal as a 22 main match rifle?

Looks like a .22 Lightening.

We'd probably have no problem with it at our range.

32s shooting  70gr bullet at 900fps (63 power factor) has 128 ft # of energy...22High velocity 40gr has 137 ft #. So if a 32  can do it so should a 22. Having run years of rimfire ruckus, I can tell you 22 HV pistol shots are loud. The rifle almost always set the timer off also!! In the Ruckus we used  a single barrel shotgun or single load any shotgun and the times were on par with centerfire. And we were only shooting one pistol (5 shots). 22s weren't any faster than centerfire. Also 22s seem to ring steel pretty good. Wiamea, at Orlando's match, we were shooting the plate rack on one stage, our 22 shooters took them down!! (Rifle). Some low hits (38s) didn't.

A few local clubs have begun allowing .22s to be used at their monthly matches.

They do have more ignition volume, and whack the steel harder than some of the loads that a few .38 shooters are using.

And they're helping to get some new shooters through the current ammo shortage.

Cheers,

FJT

On 12/10/2020 at 11:52 PM, Caboose said:

I took a bit of the leg pushing the loading gate, found that the spring was interfering with the bolt stop, not rising to the end and causing over rotation.
Side effect was a lighter loading gate ;-)

22 hours ago, Bad Hombre #23212 said:

32s shooting  70gr bullet at 900fps (63 power factor) has 128 ft # of energy...22High velocity 40gr has 137 ft #. So if a 32  can do it so should a 22. Having run years of rimfire ruckus, I can tell you 22 HV pistol shots are loud. The rifle almost always set the timer off also!! In the Ruckus we used  a single barrel shotgun or single load any shotgun and the times were on par with centerfire. And we were only shooting one pistol (5 shots). 22s weren't any faster than centerfire. Also 22s seem to ring steel pretty good. Wiamea, at Orlando's match, we were shooting the plate rack on one stage, our 22 shooters took them down!! (Rifle). Some low hits (38s) didn't.

Good stuff to know.

Thanks Hombre!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, Baltimore Ed said:

This kinda of brings up another question. Would you share your primers if your cas bud needed some? .22s are as valuable as primers. Give him a match worth, a pack, a brick? Charge him pre election [about 30.00/brick is what I paid last time I bought a brick] or current market value? 

I'd loan him a brick, and then he can replace it when/if they become available again.  Same for .22s

Archived