SASS Wire Forum

.22 as Main Match guns

Waimea

In an effort to save precious primers our club has said that we can shoot .22 cal as our main match guns.

It brings up an interesting issue, maybe two.

SOMETIMES we have kd that are shot with pistol or rifle. I guess it's a miss if it doesn't go down. (Answering my own question.):lol:

SOMETIMES the KD is an actuator for a buffalo or bad guy that runs across the stage. Most times the instructions say to shoot actuator until it goes down. What if it never goes down?

Your kind response is appreciated.

If using "Buckaroo" firearms, why not follow that category's rules"?

Knockdown targets are not required to fall for Buckaroo category shooters. A hit will be scored as long as the target is clearly hit.

SHB p.5

8 minutes ago, Waimea said:

In an effort to save precious primers our club has said that we can shoot .22 cal as our main match guns.

It brings up an interesting issue, maybe two.

SOMETIMES we have kd that are shot with pistol or rifle. I guess it's a miss if it doesn't go down. (Answering my own question.):lol:

SOMETIMES the KD is an actuator for a buffalo or bad guy that runs across the stage. Most times the instructions say to shoot actuator until it goes down. What if it never goes down?

Your kind response is appreciated.

pop it with your 45 colt derringer bond arms assures me everyone of you is carrying...

2 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

pop it with your 45 colt derringer bond arms assures me everyone of you is carrying...

That'd be fun too.:lol:

3 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

If using "Buckaroo" firearms, why not follow that category's rules"?

SHB p.5

Yep.

That crossed my mind. And is prolly the way to go.

For an actuator we will probably just use a sg most of the time.

This kinda of brings up another question. Would you share your primers if your cas bud needed some? .22s are as valuable as primers. Give him a match worth, a pack, a brick? Charge him pre election [about 30.00/brick is what I paid last time I bought a brick] or current market value? 

Just now, Baltimore Ed said:

This kinda of brings up another question. Would you share your primers if your cas bud needed some? .22s are as valuable as primers. Give him a match worth, a pack, a brick? Charge him pre election [about 30.00/brick is what I paid last time I bought a brick] or current market value? 

Primers, maybe.  .22 probably.

Spotters will have to step up their game. It's hard enough to spot .36 revolver hits!

I shot a match  with a 22 when  I got my BT-22 

It knocked down plate if I hit the top half  

it knocked down the release plate of our tetter totter 

not caring about brass was nice 

IMG_0518.JPG

Another thing with the .22's.

Anyone (except Buckaroo/ette) shooting .22's should not be scored in any normal category. The way the scoring is recorded these days, you'll need to use an "unused' category like buckaroo or some other category with no one in it. 

The TO should be extra careful to make sure that the timer records the shots or at least the last shot if pistols or rifle is/are last.

The Match Director at Firelands said if the primer situation doesn’t get any better he would allow.22’s and we would score them separately. 

The most important issue I find as TO is to make sure the timer can record the 22 shots, or at least the last shot. We try and have the shotgun or pistols as the last firearm used as the 22 rifle gives the most timer shot recording issue. Just need to make sure any knockdowns are set up so a light hit will make them fall. 22's really haven't given us any problems the last couple of years we have allowed them.

5 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

I don't intend to "share" primers, but I'd gladly give a pard' enough ammo to get him thru a monthly match if he/she needed it.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I may have to break down and get a pair of Ruger Wranglers to go with my Widder softstroke Henry.

I'm set with both and my Wranglers have lighted springs. I'd almost welcome the chance to use them in a match! The loading gate is still a %$Tch to open on those Wranglers.

9 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I shot a match  with a 22 when  I got my BT-22 

It knocked down plate if I hit the top half  

it knocked down the release plate of our tetter totter 

not caring about brass was nice 

IMG_0518.JPG

See, now THIS picture was worth the whole thread.:lol:

I gotta have one of these.

We will most definitely have a separate category. Might not even score in the overall match. Kinda like the .22s are shooting a match of their own.

9 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Yes, I am. Within reason but I'll not have a good pard run out. I also have enough .22 rounds to last my grandson's lifetime. We ran out during the great Obama panic when Kaya was a buckerette. Never again. And when the sanity comes back I'll stock back up on enough primers to blow up my neighbor's house when mine goes.

18 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll stock back up on enough primers to blow up my neighbor's house when mine goes.

I remember the local fire department once telling me there was no way they'd go in my house if it was burning due to all the "stuff" I had stockpiled. Funny thing, I was the Fire Chief at the time!!!!!

9 hours ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

New category... "Squirrel Hunter" and "Lady Squirrel Hunter":lol:

LOL this is a must ! If our club comes down to allowing it I will definitely suggest this name. I will give you the credit of course.  Gunfighter Squirrel hunter LOL

7 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

I'm set with both and my Wranglers have lighted springs. I'd almost welcome the chance to use them in a match! The loading gate is still a %$Tch to open on those Wranglers.

Yes I would love to shoot a match with my wranglers! They are great shooters and comfortable. I also lightened the hammers, that is a must. They are great for gunfighter actually. 

I got a hard gray look from my wife when I joked about having to possibly buy two .22 SA revolvers and a .22 lever gun so I could shoot CAS.

I decided to leave this subject alone for a while. :lol:

16 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

And when the sanity comes back I'll stock back up on enough primers to blow up my neighbor's house when mine goes.

That's the Spirit, Slim!:lol:

1 hour ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

The only thing I have against .22’s is with my hearing I have to pass on spotting duties as I just can’t reliably hear or even see 22 hits.

I'm gonna be so danged happy that I'm shooting and not using primers, the spotters can call me for 20 misses every stage AND I WON'T CARE!:lol:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I got a hard gray look from my wife when I joked about having to possibly buy two .22 SA revolvers and a .22 lever gun so I could shoot CAS.

I decided to leave this subject alone for a while. :lol:

You could always trade for your Detective Special. :D

Our club has had buckaroos shooting 22s for years.  I don't see a problem with it as a special category during the primer shortage.

In my experience, the 22LR pistols are louder and easier to spot for than some of the really light 32 or 38 special pistol rounds.  Having good, hard AR steel that rings helps.

YMMV.

we shoot 22 lever guns with  CCI  Quiet 22s  no ear plugs required  the bullet hitting the steel is louder than the round being fired  .. out of pistol a little louder but still does not ring out ears . only 710 FPS so they barely knock down heavy targets 

I would enjoy shooting my .22s in a monthly match.  I would only be interested in my raw time for each stage, don’t care about misses.  It would be a great speed drill; see how fast I can make’em empty.  :)

Archived