SASS Wire Forum

16" 1886?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

6 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

With 4 or so rounds capacity and one hell of a muzzle blast?  Why?

I believe the correct answer is:  "Because he can."

A friend once had an original '86 in .40-65 WCF that had a 16-3/8" octagon barrel.  It started out as only the barreled action.  The barrel was marked "W.F. EXP Co xxxx" which was etched or lightly stamped.  There was no way apparent to attach a magazine near the muzzle (dovetail).  The Wells Fargo Museum in SFO said that even though the marking wasn't the standard one (W.F.& Co EXP. for example), it was probably legit and a local purchase item, possibly for use in an express car, where it would have been handier than a long barrel, but would have provided more range than a shotgun.  It was restored with a button magazine, which held three rounds, plus one in the chamber, depending on the length of the bullet.  Barrels with that odd 3/8" appear to have been fairly standard for most Winchester factory tubes, so it may have been ordered that way.  It was missing the lower tang, so there was no way to letter it.  The inventory number on the barrel would serve as identification.  I shot it with light smokeless loads, IIRC 27gr IMR4198 with a 2" square of single-ply toilet paper poked lightly into the case (re-formed .45-70 brass), for a MV = 1437 ft/sec, with a cast 253 gr bullet sized .407".  Accuracy at 50 yds was fair to good, possibly due to the short sight radius.  Recoil wasn't bad, as I recall.  52 gr of Pyrodex "RS" with a MV = 1450 ft/sec.  I would imagine that a .45-70 would kick harder and muzzle jump would be considerable with that short of a  barrel.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Winchester actually made a limited run of "Trapper" 1886 .45-70s with pistol-gripped stocks.
Found some past sales on various sites by searching for "1886 Trapper .45-70"

12 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

With 4 or so rounds capacity and one hell of a muzzle blast?  Why?

Because I really want to make one of these...

IMy86MaresLeg.thumb.jpg.1e664da2b87671e336c003ce5246cea5.jpg

This is not real.  It's is a photo manipulation of what an 86 would look like in Mare's Leg configuration.   No way I'd do this to a real Winchester.   I did some checking, and as long as the overall length of the contraption is over 26" inches, it remains a legal rifle.  I think the pistol grip stock would look "cooler" on the finished product.  Also, if I can find one that comes with the 16" barrel, I know the barrel is legal, and don't have to worry about cutting a longer one too short.  Plus, with only the but stock to modify, it would cost less to to do the mods.   I call this a "Mare's Buntline."

Would be fun to pair it with one of these...

4570Revolver.jpg.1527479aaf3254af13a795db20b8e919.jpg

...if I could ever find one here in the PDR of Massachusetts.

Not SASS legal, of course.  But I think it would be a hoot and half of fun to show up with them and do a few practice rounds in the dirt for people to go "OOH AHH" at.   Maybe even with black powder.

8 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Winchester actually made a limited run of "Trapper" 1886 .45-70s with pistol-gripped stocks.
Found some past sales on various sites by searching for "1886 Trapper .45-70"

See the source image

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Cool looking pic, Palewolf.  That could be the basis for the project.   And since it's a total fantasy gun, I can live with the stupid safety.   Wish it had a "full length" mag though.   Oh well.   

It'd be a start....

How hard would it be to deactivate the tang safety and install a longer mag tube?
Chop the stock down and you've got your .45-70 "Mare's Leg".

24 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

How hard would it be to deactivate the tang safety and install a longer mag tube?
Chop the stock down and you've got your .45-70 "Mare's Leg".

The longer mag tube would be quite easy to do.   The tang safety/rebounding hammer, I dunno.   I've read that there are people who specialize in it.  I'd probably get a second stock to do the chopping just so I could "go back" if I ever needed to.   Now all I have to do is FIND one of these.  :)

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The longer mag tube would be quite easy to do.   The tang safety/rebounding hammer, I dunno.   I've read that there are people who specialize in it.  I'd probably get a second stock to do the chopping just so I could "go back" if I ever needed to.   Now all I have to do is FIND one of these.  :)

Nate Kiowa Jones seems to be real familiar with them pesky tang safeties and bouncy hammers.

Check with him if you need to.

Archived