SASS Wire Forum

Save the Primers

Waimea

South Florida Gunslingers who shoot in Punta Gorda the 3rd Saturday and 4th Sunday will be allowing .22 for pistols and rifles.
This is an effort to help our shooters save primers for the large matches.

I'd be interested in knowing how this turns out. I'd like to know if many folks actually have the guns. I have a Henry Golden Boy Rifle. All the rest of my 22s are Auto loaders. Will be interesting. Hope it works for you.

Snakebite

Well,  it will save primers but have you looked for 22LR lately.  It's about as hard to find as primers and getting just as pricey.

BS

Winter rules around here means wear whatever keeps you warm, everything can be staged if you want, and .22s are OK.  The .22 thing started to avoid chasing brass in the snow, but it seems fairly popular even when we don’t have any on the ground.

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

Well,  it will save primers but have you looked for 22LR lately.  It's about as hard to find as primers and getting just as pricey.

BS

I have WAY more .22 cartridges than primers.

When my kids shot .22's in matches with Single Sixes I just marked the outside of one of the chambers with red fingernail polish and never loaded that chamber. Turn the cylinder so the polish is just to the left of the topstrap, pull the hammer until the polish disappears, lower the hammer  on an empty chamber.

We have had a 22 Rim Fire Class at a couple of our local clubs for a couple of years now. I have two Heritage pistols and a Henry Golden Boy. I shoot that class maybe a couple of times a year. I made a gauge out of a piece of dow rod and a wooden cap for the pistols. After loading slide the dow down the barrel. If it goes all the way down it is an unloaded chamber. If the red section painted on the dow shows it's a loaded chamber. Quite easy for the loading table officer to see.

13 hours ago, Waimea said:

I have WAY more .22 cartridges than primers.

I'll gladly trade you two for one... maybe even three! ;)

On 12/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Revolvers are a pain to check if you load 5 and down on empty as they all have chambers with rims recessed. Just the nature of the beast.

Ruger Wranglers have free spin pawls. They solve the problem.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Revolvers are a pain to check if you load 5 and down on empty as they all have chambers with rims recessed. Just the nature of the beast.

Yeah my 58 conversions have same issue. But it can b done

Archived