SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy vs. B-Western | Why'd you choose?

Wade Butcher

I switched to B-Western as soon as it became a Category because I was already using B-Western legal gear and already had legal clothing. I later went back to Duelist Categories but still dress mostly B-Western. 

Randy

I shoot CC because I am a an old west history buff and truly a cowboy.   Besides if I was to get dressed up like Ralphie in Christmas Story I'd need to conduct an environmental impact study due to all the laughter I would cause.

image.jpeg.5b4c92d2063a583b5dfa3df23c894901.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:.   Besides if I was to get dressed up like Ralphie in Christmas Story I'd need to conduct an environmental impact study due to all the laughter I would cause.

image.jpeg.5b4c92d2063a583b5dfa3df23c894901.jpeg

We need a Ralphie category.  Must have a compass in the stock and “this thing that tells time”.

On 12/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, Wade Butcher said:

Hello, everyone. Ultra newbie, here.

I've read a bit about the two costume classes in the SASS rules book, but I'm stumped on why a shooter might choose one class over the other. Is it merely the difference between someone wishing to dress as either (A) an authentic, wild west cowboy versus (B) a romanticized, silver screen, Hollywood hero cowboy? It can't be that simple, can it? (Life seldom ever is.) Are there any other major differences that I may want to consider before choosing my own costume path? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

W.B.

You don't have to choose now.  Just get to shootin' in an age based category.  Then there's time to see whether you like to shoot duelist or two-handed, (or both), or gunfighter.  You can shoot any caliber in B-Western, but you are limited to .40 or above, (of cap n' ball), in Classic Cowboy.   You'll have to decide whether you can move or run in spurs without falling over yourself.

You also have to decide whether pulling the gun from a "high ride" holster or a drop holster is better for you.

If you have .38/.357 pistols or rifle, you'd have to get different guns to shoot Classic Cowboy.  If you already have larger calibers, you can shoot either.

What model rifle do you have?  The model has to fit into the category requirements or you have to buy a different rifle.

Classic Cowboys often is more like the dress of the 1890's when leather cuffs and batwing chaps came into fashion.   B-Western is "Cowboy Bling".   What would be most comfortable for you.  Both categories require quite an extra investment in clothes and accoutrements.

For now, just bring whatcha got.  Shoot in the category that fits your age, or a shooting style category, and take time making up your mind until you "learn the ropes" and can make a better informed decision. 

There are many reasons one may choose a category to shoot in. Speed, types of guns, calibers of ammo, clothing, the character you are trying to mimic or become.  #1 one thing to remember is be safe and have fun. #2 You can always change if you don't like it or don't feel comfortable.  

With that being said I shoot Classic Cowboy and love it. Part of the game for me is dressing the part. Note I said for me it's not for everyone.  And I enjoy shooting the 66 and the 73. And shooting duelist. 

One thing I'm learning is that Classic Cowboy's and Cowgirl's will stick together and look out for one another. And at the same time we are very competitive. 

What ever you choose have fun. The people in this sport are amazing.  If you choose Classic and have and questions or need pointed in a direction just message me I'll do my best to assist. 

It all depends on what guns you want to shoot and what style.  If you don't want to shoot duelist then don't shoot classic cowboy.  If you want to shoot a 73 don't shoot b-western.  87 and Hammered double are slower for me than a 97.  I think on a stage I am slower about 1.5-2.5 seconds shooting my hammered sxs and duelist in classic cowboy than shooting traditional style and with my 97.  In my opinion if your a new shooter and want to shoot faster and for overall time/finish I would pick b-western.  If you want to shoot one handed(duelist/classic cowboy) or a gun in each hand(gunfighter) like the historic cowboys did in the 1880's then try those categories.   I picked classic cowboy because I shot duelist for years, before that traditional and I wanted a challenge by shooting a new shotgun, larger calibers.  Next challenge will be gunfighter down the road.  I started shooting duelist style because that is how it was done in the 1880's.  I wanted to get good at it so I could do some cowboy movies.  If your new to SASS I would go try the different guns out especially the shotguns.  Then try shooting the different styles with your pistols.   

Thank You! Parson Remington! Your explanation cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I've been shooting CAS for almost 2 years now and no one has been really able to help me get cleared up, until now. Reading the rules a newbie tends to believe, there are only 2 categories to choose from and you see all these other shooters not really fitting either one. As I see it now, age based category is actually a 3rd category, which makes sense now.  No one has ever asked me what category I shoot in at a match, only what style I shoot. I dress basic classic, but I need a straw hat in summer! Thanks Cowboy!

1 hour ago, Raven Law Dog said:

Thank You! Parson Remington! Your explanation cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I've been shooting CAS for almost 2 years now and no one has been really able to help me get cleared up, until now. Reading the rules a newbie tends to believe, there are only 2 categories to choose from and you see all these other shooters not really fitting either one. As I see it now, age based category is actually a 3rd category, which makes sense now.  No one has ever asked me what category I shoot in at a match, only what style I shoot. I dress basic classic, but I need a straw hat in summer! Thanks Cowboy!

Agreed. As a newbie myself, I'm still trying to get it straight in my head, especially when people mention side matches.

I picture, in my head, the the MAIN category is age-based, and there are a few extra SUB-categories to shoot depending on the guns/clothing that you prefer — Classic Cowboy, B-Western, Wild Bunch, and maybe even more.

What I really need is a good diagram that shows the hierarchy of all the categories. Better yet, a flow chart. You know, one of those flow charts that asks you a question to start, you answer it with YES or NO, which brings you to the next question, then to the next, until you finally discover which category is best for you. LOL

W.B.

20 minutes ago, Wade Butcher said:

Agreed. As a newbie myself, I'm still trying to get it straight in my head, especially when people mention side matches.

I picture, in my head, the the MAIN category is age-based, and there are a few extra SUB-categories to shoot depending on the guns/clothing that you prefer — Classic Cowboy, B-Western, Wild Bunch, and maybe even more.

What I really need is a good diagram that shows the hierarchy of all the categories. Better yet, a flow chart. You know, one of those flow charts that asks you a question to start, you answer it with YES or NO, which brings you to the next question, then to the next, until you finally discover which category is best for you. LOL

W.B.

There is a Facebook group (Duc?) in which you will find a category matrix that should suit your needs.

You are still a bit confused.  You are not the first.

Wild Bunch is not a category of cowboy action shooting.  It is a separate shooting sport with its own set of rules and its own categories (thankfully few).  

Try it this way.  The “open age category” (Cowboy/Cowgirl) is the broadest as there are no restrictions on age, equipment or costuming.  If it’s SASS legal it’s allowed.

The age based categories are very broad except that you must meet the minimum age requirement.  For example, a shooter aged 45 years cannot be in 49’er.  Otherwise wide open.

Other categories are more specialized based on shooting style (ie Gunfighter), type of ammo (ie Frontier Cartridge) with the most specialized being the two “costume based categories” that have a whole list of special requirements.

The specialized categories can be further subdivided by age.  Shooters must satisfy the requirements of the “parent” category as well as those of the “subdivision”.  An example is Senior Gunfighter, which means the shooter must satisfy all requirements of Gunfighter (eg, use fixed sight revolvers) and be at least 60 years of age.

Thanks, Abe! I see you and  Wade Butcher are both in Greenville area, I have my son and family in Laurens. Sounds like a good excuse to Shoot with you guys and visit trip. I plan to venture out a bit when the weather starts warming up again. When does your Posse shoot?

7 hours ago, Raven Law Dog said:

Thanks, Abe! I see you and  Wade Butcher are both in Greenville area, I have my son and family in Laurens. Sounds like a good excuse to Shoot with you guys and visit trip. I plan to venture out a bit when the weather starts warming up again. When does your Posse shoot?

We are fortunate to have three clubs in Upstate SC and we shoot year round.

The newest is Moonshine at Dark Corner in Northern Greenville County near Travelers Rest; match day is the first Sunday of the month.

The Belton Bushwhackers shoot on the second Saturday; they will host the 2021 State Match this Spring.

Greenville is my home club; we shoot on the 4th Saturday so we have a match right after Christmas.

All of our clubs are friendly and eager to welcome and to help new shooters.  Anyone with questions is welcome to message me.  Each of the clubs have Facebook pages that are kept pretty current.

Archived