SASS Wire Forum

Hopkins and allen hammered double

JP McLintock

Does anyone have any kind of information on the hopkins and allen hammered doubles?

One came into my possession, serial number in the 41xxx, appears to have steel barrels.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Thanks

IMG_20201208_192729066.jpg

IMG_20201208_192801536.jpg

Good information found here:

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/how-old-is-a-hopkins-allen-double-barrel-12-gauge-shotgun-manufactured-in...-31368218.html

Auction listing of an H&A hammergun:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/8978450

Video by Warden Callaway (I think!)

--Dawg

JP, I have one with s/n 4153* that I bought for $350 at an auction a number of years ago. It's a well made shotgun. Mine appears to have been possibly cut down to a coach gun length at 19" barrels, and mic's out to about a cylinder bore. Looks like the chambers may have been honed out a little also. I've shot it a number of times with my light SASS loads and it seems to be fine. I don't use it often though.

4 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

JP, I have one with s/n 4153* that I bought for $350 at an auction a number of years ago. It's a well made shotgun. Mine appears to have been possibly cut down to a coach gun length at 19" barrels, and mic's out to about a cylinder bore. Looks like the chambers may have been honed out a little also. I've shot it a number of times with my light SASS loads and it seems to be fine. I don't use it often though.

This one needs a good cleaning and a cracked stock fixed, it appears the barrels are steel and not twisted.

I paid $125 for it, seemed cheap enough for a fiddle around project.

May I ask what recipe you use for your light loads?

Yeah my barrels are steel also. I had it checked out at my local gunsmith. The sear on the left barrel hammer was worn and sometimes if I fired the right side first the recoil would cause the left to fire also so I took it in to get it fixed. They found nothing else of concern except the sear. Frankly yours at $125 was a good price, and the stock shouldn't be hard to fix.

Unfortunately my light reloads are loaded with my dwindling stock of Winchester AA Lite powder, which is no longer available, under 7/8 oz of shot. However I have been looking for a replacement load after my last pound of AA Lite is gone, and 14.8 gr. of Alliant Extra-Light powder under 3/4 or 7/8 oz of shot is what I will go with down the road.

19 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Good information found here:

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/how-old-is-a-hopkins-allen-double-barrel-12-gauge-shotgun-manufactured-in...-31368218.html

Auction listing of an H&A hammergun:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/8978450

Video by Warden Callaway (I think!)

--Dawg

Yeah,  that's my video.   I didn't mention I had chambers recut for 2-3/4" modern folded shells with long forcing cones.

6 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Yeah my barrels are steel also. I had it checked out at my local gunsmith. The sear on the left barrel hammer was worn and sometimes if I fired the right side first the recoil would cause the left to fire also so I took it in to get it fixed. They found nothing else of concern except the sear. Frankly yours at $125 was a good price, and the stock shouldn't be hard to fix.

Unfortunately my light reloads are loaded with my dwindling stock of Winchester AA Lite powder, which is no longer available, under 7/8 oz of shot. However I have been looking for a replacement load after my last pound of AA Lite is gone, and 14.8 gr. of Alliant Extra-Light powder under 3/4 or 7/8 oz of shot is what I will go with down the road.

Waalite was the same powder I was using for light loads, I'll have to take a look at extra lite, or I may find something using unique.

Thanks for the info

Warden, good to know, I have 4 different guns that need that done, more winter projects. :)

Archived