SASS Wire Forum

Let's put the government in charge of EVERYTHING!!!!

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I have a few coins I wanted to submit to be graded, certified, and encapsulated.  Two of them are 1955 Franklin half dollars with the "bugs bunny" variety.  The other is a 1938 buffalo nickel with the D mint mark over the S.  I chose to use ANACS because the coins are not extremely valuable and they are the cheapest of the three major third party graders.  If they were multi-thousand dollar coins I would go through NGC.

In any event, I filled out the paperwork, packaged them up according to the directions, and went to the post office.  They put it on their scale, and charged me the amount of postage as indicated.

Four days later, the package arrived at my house, $2.40 short of the correct postage.

SO WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF PUTTING IT ON THE SCALE?!?!?!?!?!? 

I work 40 miles from home, and used the post office near my work, so this thing traveled farther to get back home than if they had sent it to ANACS, which is in a Denver suburb.  Because I'm rural, it literally changed hands more times and went through more post offices than if they had sent it to the addressee.  They probably wasted more than the $2.40 it was short by shipping it to my house. 

Holy Moses, these people are stupid.

As to the title of your post, LET’S NOT AND JUST SAY THAT WE DID!!

my mailman is 3 months from retiring 

he sez he will miss visiting the with all of us 

but he will sent his wife in if he ever needs to mail or pick something up at his old branch

"I am afraid  I would go postal on one of the counter morons "

when they make the error they should deliver for free - thats what a small business shipper would do .......but then there are all those that think the fed govmnt is so good at what they do - except retirees , vets , anyone that has been unemployed [that wanted to work] and those of us that pay taxes 

That has happened to me before to. :angry:

So I got a scale and weigh it myself add an ounce or so fudge factor and then  pay and print a label from the Post Office website. Haven’t had any problems since I started doing that.

My ex works for them. From the stories I hear it's unbelievable how such lazy, inept and stupid people can remain employed. She says firing any of them would take an act of Congress. The two most frequent comments she hears in the back room are "That's not my job" and "Don't do my job for me because you're making me look bad". Not kidding.

I have used USPS almost exclusively for the last several years. Mostly, they have outperformed other carriers by a good bit over that span.

This summer/fall their performance has been, to say the least, dismal.

I ordered a small part from a supplier located just outside of Chicago, a little over 450 miles away!

The package was sent to Joliet, back to the little town where it originated, back to Joliet, to Pittsburgh, to somewhere in New Jersey, to Memphis, and FINALLY to Nashville and on to my local post office.  It took almost two weeks to get here after being shipped on a guaranteed next day delivery!!

A few weeks earlier, I ordered some parts from a friend in Washington state. The package was sent Priority Two Day mail and, because of its size, I was charged $62.50 in shipping fees. It went from the small town of origin to Seattle and disappeared!!  We were told that it was in route but given no updates as to its location.  Repeated requests for information were answered with nebulous replies that we received for the better part of a month!! Both the sender and I filed inquiries, more than once in my case, and suddenly the package appeared in Memphis!! 27 days of travel that nobody knows what route my parts took!!  STILL took two more days to get to my door!!

In both cases, it was necessary to file investigations to get the package moving!!  The package from Illinois apparently sat at the facility in Pittsburgh for well over a week!  Did the package from Washington sit in the Memphis post office for three weeks or more? Who knows!!

The gooberment took over The Mustang Ranch, a brothel in Nevada that had thrived for YEARS!!  Under the management of the IRS, the business failed!!

I wouldn’t trust the government to make a run to the outhouse!!

Part of the problem with USPS is that it isn't gub'mint run anymore!  I just packaged and attempted to print labels for two packages to got to my wife's brother and sister-in-law...same address.  I have previously mailed out two separate packages to a custom for my leather goods.  Both of the latter were mailed Priority 2-day.  It took a week for each of them to get there.  I have packages picked up on my front porch, and that works okay. With the stuff going to my customer, no problem printing the labels.  Today, I had fits trying to print out the labels going to my brother- and sister-in-law.  Just wouldn't print either label until I  fiddled with the printer and the USPS website.  Site kept sending me back to the previous screens!  :angry:  Finally go them to print out.  Enough to make a gopher sick in his hole!  :wacko:

If you have a package you need delivered by Christmas, get it sent as soon as possible, by whatever service you want to use.

Deliveries by all services are starting to show delays. major vendors are already being told by all services that the volumes they are shipping are above contractual levels and delivery "guaranties" are not going to be met.

We get good USPS service here.  One (of three) scheduled carriers is outstanding, one is not bad.  I don't go to the counter.  I let Petey take outgoing mail to his office to pay for & process.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

We get good USPS service here.  One (of three) scheduled carriers is outstanding, one is not bad.  I don't go to the counter.  I let Petey take outgoing mail to his office to pay for & process.

I don’t have any problems with the local service!  The national service has gone to hell in a handbasket lately!!

On 12/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I have a few coins I wanted to submit to be graded, certified, and encapsulated.  Two of them are 1955 Franklin half dollars with the "bugs bunny" variety.  The other is a 1938 buffalo nickel with the D mint mark over the S.  I chose to use ANACS because the coins are not extremely valuable and they are the cheapest of the three major third party graders.  If they were multi-thousand dollar coins I would go through NGC.

In any event, I filled out the paperwork, packaged them up according to the directions, and went to the post office.  They put it on their scale, and charged me the amount of postage as indicated.

Four days later, the package arrived at my house, $2.40 short of the correct postage.

SO WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF PUTTING IT ON THE SCALE?!?!?!?!?!? 

I work 40 miles from home, and used the post office near my work, so this thing traveled farther to get back home than if they had sent it to ANACS, which is in a Denver suburb.  Because I'm rural, it literally changed hands more times and went through more post offices than if they had sent it to the addressee.  They probably wasted more than the $2.40 it was short by shipping it to my house. 

Holy Moses, these people are stupid.

Stupid? When I was a clerk in the Postal Service they would pay me 2 hours overtime to bring a piece of Express mail out so it would not be late on the delivery promise. If it was late they would have to pay the sender the $8.50 postage. That is if they put in a claim. I asked them why didn't they just return the postage with an apology. I got no answer on that. what I did get was time out of the office and a nice ride in the Maine countryside visiting some of the small town Post Offices.

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My ex works for them. From the stories I hear it's unbelievable how such lazy, inept and stupid people can remain employed. She says firing any of them would take an act of Congress. The two most frequent comments she hears in the back room are "That's not my job" and "Don't do my job for me because you're making me look bad". Not kidding.

Those stories are true.

Retired July 2016 from the USPS.

But there are some good ones.  

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The national service has gone to hell in a handbasket lately!!

& not just USPS

5 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

If you have a package you need delivered by Christmas, get it sent as soon as possible, by whatever service you want to use.

Deliveries by all services are starting to show delays. major vendors are already being told by all services that the volumes they are shipping are above contractual levels and delivery "guaranties" are not going to be met.

Which Christmas? :rolleyes:

i have got enough experience working with a delivery service to defend them this time of year , it seems every individual that ships thinks theirs is the only package in the system , and just how many votes did joe biden get overnight ? 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

i have got enough experience working with a delivery service to defend them this time of year , it seems every individual that ships thinks theirs is the only package in the system , and just how many votes did joe biden get overnight ? 

The two packages I told about were sent in early August and the first of October. <_<

What I’ve noticed during the last couple of years is that FedEx and UPS are using USPS to complete a lot of deliveries for them!!  Until recently, that was a plus, but now, not so much!!

federal government

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is a large business enterprise operated by the federal government. It has more than 600,000 employees and more than $70 billion in annual revenues.  They're supposed to be self funded. The Fed's still subsidize to cover the losses each year.

If this were a private business it wouldn't be in business.

Folks would have the Spring Florida Post Office weight their package and pay the postage.  Package would arrive to my Post Office marked postage due.  This happen on more then one occasion.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:43 AM, watab kid said:

While this season is undoubtedly very challenging for anyone in the shipping business, my post had absolutely nothing to do with delivery time.  

20 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:
federal government

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is a large business enterprise operated by the federal government. It has more than 600,000 employees and more than $70 billion in annual revenues.  They're supposed to be self funded. The Fed's still subsidize to cover the losses each year.

If this were a private business it wouldn't be in business.

600,000 employees on the government payroll, with government benefits, and pensions.  

Archived