SASS Wire Forum

Are we seeing the start of a mass exodus

doc roy l. pain

With the combination of many things ie, wild bunch retiring, covid-19, lack of ammunition and components, along with cancellations of our largest gatherings, is it just me or are we seeing a lot of “selling out” going on in the classifieds. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the newest of folks, they weren’t prepared for all the shortages and cancellations.  I think the rest is just of us are still hanging in there, some matches maybe a little smaller and some local matches maybe a little less shooting but I don’t think it’s an exodus by any means.

I'm sure all of this will be the straw that broke the camel's back for some and there are others who will have to take a hiatus due to a lack of ammo, but I don't think we will see too many completely quit because of it.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Maybe the newest of folks, they weren’t prepared for all the shortages and cancellations.  I think the rest is just of us are still hanging in there, some matches maybe a little smaller and some local matches maybe a little less shooting but I don’t think it’s an exodus by any means.

That's my situation.  Before I joined SASS in July or August, I was only shooting my cowboy guns for fun a couple times a year, so my inventory of 1000 primers were plenty.  Now with up to 3 local shoots per month, I was caught totally unprepared.  Fortunately some pards on here helped me out, so I should be able to participate in at least one or two local shoots per month for another year or more.

I think us old timers who got caught in the last primer crunch were a little more prepared this time around. I'm sure some of the younger/newer pards probably were not prepared for this. We also added a Rim Fire class to our local club matches allowing 22LR in pistols & rifle. That can help some folks out as 22LR still seem to be available.

1 hour ago, Diamond Jake said:

That's my situation.  Before I joined SASS in July or August, I was only shooting my cowboy guns for fun a couple times a year, so my inventory of 1000 primers were plenty.  Now with up to 3 local shoots per month, I was caught totally unprepared.  Fortunately some pards on here helped me out, so I should be able to participate in at least one or two local shoots per month for another year or more.

That’s great to hear, to tell you the truth I’m not that surprised, I know some of the pards up your way and they are the finest of folks.  Just watch out for @Tennessee williams he’ll steal your ‘nanner split if you give him half a chance. 

The last "great exodus" took place after the 08 Crash.  Large numbers of folks just didn't come back.  This current unpleasantness will cause others to have "other" priorities.  Us "die-hards" just won't quit. B)

I'll shoot with ya, Doc.

We had more shooters than has been normal for the last few years at yesterday's monthly.

That’s great to hear, to tell you the truth I’m not that surprised, I know some of the pards up your way and they are the finest of folks.  Just watch out for @Tennessee williams he’ll steal your ‘nanner split if you give him half a chance. 

He stole mine! BOLO

6e450cc67c094306fa0a1ab1c5b2522a.jpg

And if he doesn't I will :ph34r::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i think its belt tightening and folks having time to evaluate then thin their herds , i doubt an exodus at this point , but i guess we shall see - churches are empty , do you think we will give up our religions because the liberals have some control ? 

5 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The last "great exodus" took place after the 08 Crash.  Large numbers of folks just didn't come back.  This current unpleasantness will cause others to have "other" priorities.  Us "die-hards" just won't quit. B)

1 minute ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Not quitting just cutting back on shooting.  Used to shoot 3-4 times a month, cutting to 2-3 matches a month and only with specific clubs. 

I think we're seeing a combination of situations like these, but no 'mass exodus'.

10 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

With the combination of many things ie, wild bunch retiring, covid-19, lack of ammunition and components, along with cancellations of our largest gatherings, is it just me or are we seeing a lot of “selling out” going on in the classifieds. 

I understand the WB is no longer on the board, they still own SASS. Which means they still have a hand in the business.

Yes, people will lose interest. Every month of not shooting  will distance some shooters. They will return to what they did before they started CAS.

How much longer can we sustain, considering the new memberships are not keeping up with attrition?

I seriously doubt folks are going to join a shooting org. without the ability to shoot due to the lack of ammo and components. 

The last "mass exodus" was due to the CC going digital and the increase of annual dues. Folks may not have quit shooting CAS, they did quit SASS.

The current political situation and incivility in certain parts of the country will also have a negative affect on the shooting sports. People are not traveling and saving money. Fear of the unknown is having an adverse affect on every aspect of our lives.

Both my wife and I are high risk.  When this insanity settles down I will be back.  For now I will follow my doctor’s guidance, “For every trip you take you need to ask yourself if that trip is worth your life?”.

I am reasonably certain I am not alone is hanging back for awhile.  But, I will be back.

i get it folks - we each evaluate our own circumstances and deal with life as we deam correct for ourselves , no one -not me- would ever criticize that , i look forward to seeing everyone back when this is not hanging over our heads , [that is assuming they ever let go of it - or dont try to pull the next out of there arse at the next available instance] 

please all be safe , stay well , and keep your shootin irons oiled and ready 

I didn't go out and spend nearly $10k on guns, leather, clothes, boots, reloading press, range time, etc, just to give up because of some virus I'll probably never catch and if I do, I'll have only 99.6% chance of surviving. I grabbed 5000 federal 150's, 2 of the big cans of trailboss and 2500 bullets back in September because I saw the writing on the wall. Past experience getting caught low on ammo after newtown taught me to stock up early. I'm set for at least another year or two... If there are matches, I'll be shooting. If there isn't matches, I'll still be shooting. If I have to buy a timer, go to the range and shoot a match 3 times against myself, I will...

However, I did get caught with no 45fmj bullets right before qualification is due. I figured if my rock island, auto ordnance thompson, and Iver Johnson 1911's along with my 2 hi point 45's would all cycle lead rnfp with no trouble, my $1000 H&K would.... Boy was I wrong! Glad I tested it just to find out it jams every. single. round. of pure lead I try to feed it... But thanks to the great folks on this forum, I have enough bullets coming to requalify with my HK45, otherwise I'd be carrying a hi point for the next year or worse, a s&w sigma...lol

55 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I've cut back on the travel part but I ain't leavin' just yet.

I have thinned down the herd though.

If’n you going to thin the herd some more let me know I can fit a couple more heads in the safe.

I think the covid-19 has caused all of use to cut back on our sport.  When we first started going back to cowboy shooting some of the clubs allowed only members of that club to shoot and with limited shooters, now some of the club restrictions have have been eased, all shooters are welcomed with covid  rules in place.  With all this PANIC buying of everything related to shooting, ammo, bullets, powder, primers, and guns has added more problems, but this too will pass, hang in there pards, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Myself, I can't wait to get back into shooting my shooting sports in the new year.  I didn't get to shoot many cowboy shoots this year, but I did a bunch of other shooting, military matches, woods walks, 3 gun, Wild bunch, and just going to the range for some fun trigger time.   The new year will be better.  Attica Jack

If the primer/ammo shortage doesn't get better by April, I'll be cutting back to maybe 2 shoots a month but I'm certainly not quitting, I've been doing this too long to pack it in! 20+ years!

Prices are high on everything, assuming it is available at all.  Many folks, especially those that have been in the game for a while, have collected far more toys than they will ever need or likely use.  We had bought stuff for our kids and grand kids to use, but for various reasons, our kids interests have moved to other things and in today's environment, getting the grand-kids involved is challenging at best.

I have thought about thinning our herd a bit, but then I smack myself back to reality.  Someday it will likely happen, but today is not that day, nor tomorrow, nor the next day, nor the next....

I am cutting back for now, but not for the above reasons. 

Here in West Virginia Mother Nature determines our amount of shooting.  We are willing to shoot the same, but the weather has to be somewhat accommodating.   Of course, as Spring comes and it surely will, I will be back to shooting as much as always as-long-as the clubs still have their matches.

11 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I didn't go out and spend nearly $10k on guns, leather, clothes, boots, reloading press, range time, etc, just to give up because of some virus I'll probably never catch and if I do, I'll have only 99.6% chance of surviving. 

Stumbling on great deals like that SKB you bought from Twin also helps alot in saving money.

There is no doubt that things are in a Turn Down mode. ANYONE that does not see that is just blind. HOWEVER things will be back... the Game will never be as Big as it once was, but it will in fact return. There are far too many of us still left in the parking lot to just quit and start playing the Corn Hole Game full time. This mayhem will not last forever and even if the new administration is not as friendly as we would like, the Sky is not falling.... just a few stars have dropped out of the sky. The single best thing that YOU can do is to continue to support your local club so that it can stay afloat during this Turn Down. If you do, they will still be there after this mess is over. Remember, if you are on a full posse shooting any match, that match is full! It doesn't matter if there are 100 or 800 shooters... the view from you horse will be the same. So just sit tight, be safe, keep a little gas in the truck a WAIT it out. 

Snakebite

I'm taking a break for now. Planning on shooting different clubs next year for something new. May travel with the camper some if the clubs have the resources for that. Lots of great shoots I've never been to.

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Lots of great shoots I've never been to.

That was our plan, but then we went to some of those great shoots.  Now they're on our established route & our calendar's about full.  I STILL want to get back to Appalachian Showdown.

We've had several new shooters contact us recently to get started even as others have nearly disappeared.

All is certainly not lost.  Current events have everyone in a cautious holding pattern.  Some more and some less.  For good reason.

People have come out to play as they are able and rules allow.

I have been frankly amazed, considering everything, how good it has been lately.  There's still strong support for cowboy shooting.

Archived