SASS Wire Forum

73 Dilemma

Hells Comin

73 Main spring thickness: 

Youth model .047"

16" carbine  .062"

After market .078"

I did call Taylor and they have no Clue. 

About 3/4's into the stroke the .080 bottoms out on the lever safety spring which increases resistance . Why the 3  Different thicknesse's ?

By the way I have no business working on firearms but I do anyway,  then I sent it to a gunsmith to fix 2 problems. 

So, first off, replace the factory lever safety spring with a much lower profile "torsion"  (AKA mousetrap) spring.    It really lightens the last part of the lever closing stroke.  That will get rid of the springs interfering with each other.     Someone arced that main spring to have more bow than normal.  That should have been caught at the factory.

Main reason for thinner main springs would be to have a lighter lever stroke.   I could see Uberti putting that in a youth model.  In a carbine - less reason, but there is less gun weight in the carbine, so perhaps they are aware that a light gun with a heavy lever stroke throws the aim off a lot more between each shot.

Yeah,. I can see why you have a reason working on your own guns - it keeps your favorite smith employed!  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

1 catalog item for the 73's

Each has a consistent thickness from end to end. 

If that really has been true over the years, then you are measuring various after-market light weight springs.

Good luck, GJ

FWIW ... I pulled out (of my "removed" parts box) the original mainspring from my 73 carbine ... 

... AND ...

At the base near the screw pad it measures .080 ...

... AND ...

At the end near the double hooks it measures .050 ...

Mine is tapered (thickness wise) ...  s10.gif.b7ce95939fc3c2ff2a87b09d6176a0d4.gif

OK.  My Turn.

I built Toggle Link Rifles for competition for around 20 years.  The Taylors Parts guy is correct.  There only is and only has been one item number for '73 Main Springs forever.  Just one.

The Main Spring for an 1866 is different.  The '73 Main Spring is suppose to have a slight "dog leg" to clear the Trigger Safety Spring and Arm.  The 1866 spring is a constant bow.  No dog leg and the constant bow of the '66 Main Spring will interfere with the '73 Trigger Safety.  With after-market Main Springs, the Trigger Safety lever has to be modified to provide clearance for the spring's bow.

Depending on the production "run" there may be inconsistencies with Uberti Springs.  They are actually ALL way too heavy.  And yes, they are tapered slightly.  

Archived