SASS Wire Forum

Beware of Terry Wong

Fungames43232

If this is not allowed, please take it down but I felt the need to let everyone know who may be in the sport.  I was looking to get into CAS and found a set of used Vaqueros (not in the best shape) for $1200 on another very common site.  I contacted the owner and we agreed on a price of $1065 shipped.  After Payment, the owner called an said DHL, charges $250 for insurance.  I recommended another shipper and the owner said no, I called DHL and they said that is not the case.  To keep it short, we went back an forth for a day trying to get him to either return my investment or ship the guns.  The last straw was, I said I would pay DHL directly.  The answer from the owner was he would get me the bitcoin address of DHL and I could pay that way.

Good news is, I have reported the fraud to my local PD and they will be looking into it.

Beware Terry Wong of Sierra Vista AZ

Thanks for the heads up!

There may be confusion on shipping.

I recently sold two pistols thinking I could send them directly to an FFL. USPS requires it go from FFL to FFL. UPS requires it go next day air so there is a trail of possession. That costs a lot of money. DHL might require the same thing.

2 hours ago, Fungames43232 said:

If this is not allowed, please take it down but I felt the need to let everyone know who may be in the sport.  I was looking to get into CAS and found a set of used Vaqueros (not in the best shape) for $1200 on another very common site.  I contacted the owner and we agreed on a price of $1065 shipped.  After Payment, the owner called an said DHL, charges $250 for insurance.  I recommended another shipper and the owner said no, I called DHL and they said that is not the case.  To keep it short, we went back an forth for a day trying to get him to either return my investment or ship the guns.  The last straw was, I said I would pay DHL directly.  The answer from the owner was he would get me the bitcoin address of DHL and I could pay that way.

Good news is, I have reported the fraud to my local PD and they will be looking into it.

Beware Terry Wong of Sierra Vista AZ

DHL is an International shipper. That was your first and only warning shot.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

There may be confusion on shipping.

I recently sold two pistols thinking I could send them directly to an FFL. USPS requires it go from FFL to FFL. UPS requires it go next day air so there is a trail of possession. That costs a lot of money. DHL might require the same thing.

I have used Fed Ex in the past for shipping a rifle. No issues and the cost was reasonable. I would agree with what others have mentioned that using an FFL would be the best choice in the matter.

I recently shipped a pistol back to Glock for a repair. Shipped it UPS next day air and they took it from me and delivered it back to me in a couple days with a signature on delivery. I was surprised that UPS let me do this. The local UPS hub told me to bring in an unsealed box and I had to show them that it was not loaded and there was not any ammo in the box

1 minute ago, Salty Pawl said:

DHL is an International shipper. That was your first and only warning shot.

I have used Fed Ex in the past for shipping a rifle. No issues and the cost was reasonable. I would agree with what others have mentioned that using an FFL would be the best choice in the matter.

The requirements change from a long gun to a handgun. And it makes a difference if it is being shipped across state lines. It would be nice if the FFL holders that have experience in this would make a sticky on this topic. Some of what is thought as lawful policy on shipping firearms is incorrect.

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Armslist is well know for being frequented with scammers.

Armslist is so fraught with scammers I don't even bother looking at it.

3 minutes ago, Fungames43232 said:

I've learned my lesson the hard way.  As soon as he said pay DHL with bitcoin, I knew there was no hope the deal was legitimate.

Going forward I would limit deals to face to face or off this board. Even then, there have been a few issues that have arisen on this board.

12 minutes ago, Cholla said:

The requirements change from a long gun to a handgun. And it makes a difference if it is being shipped across state lines. It would be nice if the FFL holders that have experience in this would make a sticky on this topic. Some of what is thought as lawful policy on shipping firearms is incorrect.

That's because people ask and listen to advice on internet forums, much like this one. The best policy is to ask advice from the source of the legal authority from both the shipping location and the destination. One could get seriously screwed by the wrong legal advice....is it really worth the possible jail time and monetary loss?

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

That's because people ask and listen to advice on internet forums, much like this one. The best policy is to ask advice from the source of the legal authority from both the shipping location and the destination. One could get seriously screwed by the wrong legal advice....is it really worth the possible jail time and monetary loss?

Nope. That's why we need a sticky made by FFLs that know their business.

I’ve had to ship pistols to gun doctors and what UPS required was that I bring it to one of their hubs and ship it overnight.  That same thing applied to both a SAA going to the Cimarron gunsmith and one going to Glock.

Just now, Tequila Shooter said:

I’ve had to ship pistols to gun doctors and what UPS required was that I bring it to one of their hubs and ship it overnight.  That same thing applied to both a SAA going to the Cimarron gunsmith and one going to Glock.

I called UPS today asking how to ship pistols to a licensed gunsmith and they told me the same thing.

14 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Going forward I would limit deals to face to face or off this board. Even then, there have been a few issues that have arisen on this board.

GunBroker is a good source.  Sellers have to provide proof of identity. Their rating system helps out as well.

12 minutes ago, Chalky Beason 40142L said:

Tried Armslist once, figured out the guy was a scammer before any money was sent, haven't been back. I stick to this forum, Gunbroker, and a local forum!

And even then, I like to see a track record of 100s if not 1,000s of sales and a positive rating, or in the case of this forum, some history of participation.

Actually have found this forum to be very trusting on the seller's part, many have shipped my purchase before getting my payment. In a couple of instances, they did so before I even sent my payment.

I used to use Gunbroker to sell but they are such a PITA to deal with that I quit selling there. I still buy there, after checking seller's feedback, but now my selling and much of my buying is done here or on Guns International. No problems with scammers at either sites I use now.

The minute I read the OP's first post I knew it had to be Armslist. That site is becoming so good at letting people get scammed, allowing illegal gun transactions and just all-around giving us gun owners a collective black eye that it's the main reason why so many in the gun control crowd want to ban online sales entirely.

I've never been screwed with Gunbroker or AuctionArms/GunAuction. However, here on the SASS wire classifieds, I've purchased revolvers four times that were in pretty sad shape, contrary to the seller's description, and required parts. One was so bad, I didn't even try to fix it, and the seller eventually refunded my $225 and told me to keep the revolver. (S&W 1905 .32-20)

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

For all internet purchases, I use a Visa card.  Not a debit card and certainly not Paypal friends and family or bitcoin.   If I don't receive the product, I just do a charge back.  

You can do this on a personal check too.  A first time customer did it for thousands of dollars.  We got a judgment against him, he had since emptied his account so we just had a piece of paper.

2 hours ago, cowrustler said:

I used to use Gunbroker to sell but they are such a PITA to deal with that I quit selling there. I still buy there, after checking seller's feedback, but now my selling and much of my buying is done here or on Guns International. No problems with scammers at either sites I use now.

Also look at the bidders feedback, is it zero?  Gunbroker only charges a dollar to make an account.  Some yawho may be running up the bid. 

I’ve had a couple bad experiences, the seller typically takes care of it.

It's funny, I've made a few deals here on the SASS Wire Classified ads and always had good outcomes, both buying and selling.  I've bought twice via Gun Broker, and both were good transactions.  Once I worked a trade deal over Armslist, and funny enough, the guy I was trading with was a friend of another guy on here.  He vouched for the other guy, so I agreed to the trade, and it was one of the best deals I've made!

I guess I'm lucky.

10 hours ago, Fungames43232 said:

Sure I just was not sure what the rules were for other sites.  It was armslist.

Beware Armslist. Probably more gun scams there than anywhere online

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've never been screwed with Gunbroker or AuctionArms/GunAuction. However, here on the SASS wire classifieds, I've purchased revolvers four times that were in pretty sad shape, contrary to the seller's description, and required parts. One was so bad, I didn't even try to fix it, and the seller eventually refunded my $225 and told me to keep the revolver. (S&W 1905 .32-20)

I am a total sucker for mudpuppies. If you ever decide to sell that S&W let me know.

I have purchased two guns on Gunbroker, both SASS firearms.  One a used old model Vaquero 357 Lipseys special & an NIB Uberti deluxe 1873 rifle in 357 w/20" half octagon barrel that I had been looking for for 2 years*.  The LIpseys was a fall back when I lost an action for a SS Vaquero that matched my orphan.  My experiences were satifactory.  I have also searched AuctionArms but haven't found anything that I was looking for.  I haven't looked a Armslist because of the bad press from the gungrabbers.

*This was when new Uberti rifles were scarce as hens teeth in 2013-2014.

I tried three different deals on Armslist. All three were bad. Two were outright scams. One was either a flake or a scam. 

Three for Three?! Never again. I don’t even bother looking at their sight for references in pricing. 

Im glad this has remained up, now maybe we will be able to identify those, admitedly, few from within our community with poor reputations for service or quality work.

Imis

Archived