SASS Wire Forum

Sellior & Belot primers?

Currahee

Buy all I could.  Mostly used for practice,  a few fail to fire but better than some more expensive brands.     GW

I use S&B large pistol primers a lot and like them much more than Winchester and CCI but still use only Federal for multi day matches. I’ve had so many fail to fires with Winchester that I’ve began giving away a brick every now and then as a raffle drawing at the Cowboys matches in Norco, maybe the gunfighters that I shoot against will win some and give me a slight edge when they have fail to fires.:P

Everything I've ever had from S&B has been top quality!!  

I liked them but for reasons unknown to me S&B stopped exporting to the US a couple of years ago.  As I recall they were a NATO supplier, so they made good stuff.

Factory explosion with a couple deaths in 2015. I think most of the primers disappeared shortly after Cabelas  became major importer( I think ) a year or so later. Canada & Australia  still have some I believe. Canada won't export & shipping from Au would not work.

Okay, explosion in 2015 killed 3.  Probably why there are not a lot of primer manufacturers. (The Czechs are no dummies, by the way: think of the excellence of CZ pistols-rifles  and the fact that the very best of the Warsaw Pact weapons were made by the Czechs).

S&B has a USA website with primers listed as one of their products.  Emailed them asking where I can buy large pistol primers.  Doubt if I will get a response, but no harm in trying.

S & B work fine..avoid Fiochi if you come across them..luckily I have a good stock of Federal.

Winchester shotgun  primers are reliable, not so nowadays their pistol primers. !!

I like the S&B primers, they do seat harder than Federals. I've used them for BP and 9mm loads and Federals for everything else. Don't hesitate to buy them if you find them.

Said I emailed S&B USA and surprise: got a reply.  Here it is:

SB Dvořák <dvorakj@sellier-bellot.cz>

Mon, Dec 7, 11:59 PM (6 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me

Hi Mike, 
we do not ship our primers to US anymore. We have no intention to do that....
With regards, 
Josef Dvorak
Export Manager

So, forget about S&B primers.

A few years ago Ballistic Products had a sale on S&B primers and covered the hazmat charge so I ordered 5 cases. I’ve went through one case and just started another case. If I remember correctly the price was $17.95 per 1,000 ordered by the case.

2D4B3F43-C3C2-4097-9D2D-B712A0FF8F26.jpeg

S&B small pistol primers are some of the Easiest/ SOFTEST seating primers I have ever used.

I don't know anything about their large pistol primers - but S&B small primer cartridge brass primer pockets are "just a skoosh" tighter than everyone else and their primers are that same "- skoosh" smaller to accommodate;  which has a twofold result - loading S&B brass with "normal" primers can be a workout - but loading S&B primers into standard brass is a JOY.

I have never had a S&B primer fail to pop.

Crazy... I had 5K of them. Got em at a good price. Had so many FTF that I gave them away to a friend that loved SB small primers. As far as I know he had no trouble with them at all. I've heard other folks say that they liked them too. They especially liked the soccer cards that came with them, but the gum was stale. I also had trouble with Magtec primers and with WW Brass colored primers. Heck... even some of the most recent Federal primers have given me some FTF and that never use to happen to me. I have no problem with my older Federal, my old nickel plated WW in the White/Red boxes or even Wolf. At this point if I needed primers I'd buy any Small pistol primers that I could find, regardless of brand as long as they were for sale at a non-scalpers price. 

Snakebite 

In Germany, S&B are among the cheap brands. Sold at half price from Federal. 
Example: https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=12784899 

In addition to the hard setting, they cannot be used for weapons with spring tuning. 
On some Shells manufacturers (especially S&B tubes) it is so difficult to set, that the shellplate 
carrier broke on my Lee Pro 1000. Our top western shooters don't use S&B primers.

Archived