SASS Wire Forum

45 70 dies - recommendations welcome

Raylan

Just ordered a Cimmeron 1886 in 45 70 and need to get dies. What dies do you use and/or would you recommend? Also any recommendation for bullets would be welcomed. 

I've been pretty happy with my set of inexpensive Lee dies.  My "go-to" mold is a Rapine 460-405.  Similar to the Lyman mold Sedalia Dave was selling, but with a broader meplat.  Sadly, Rapine is no more.  :(

But I've also had good luck with a similar Lee mold - Lee 457-405-F, under $20, with handles, from Midsouth.  Out of stock, but "backorder OK." 

Double Cavity Mold 457-405-F

You might consider the Lee 459-405-HB  still under $23 and in stock.  Also comes with handles.  Might need to size 'em (slug your barrel when you get the rifle!), but that's simple.   

Single Cavity Mold 459-405-HB

I'm kinda fond of the 405 grain pills.  Have fun with that Punkin' Slinger!  :)

I have two sets of RCBS for sale.  PM if interested.  Also have new brass for sale.

Howdy Raylan,

With all due respect to Lumpy, I know that many folks have pet choices for dies, but even if you don't want to use Lyman dies, you should consider their "M" neck expanding die. It opens up the case neck, then opens the case mouth a little more for smooth insertion of the cast bullet with reduced lead shaving. If needed, the die can be further adjusted to slightly flare the case mouth. By the way, I have had no problems using Lyman 45/70 dies for years.

Rev. Chase

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

RCBS has been great. 

Stay away from Lyman.....

OLG

I agree with the RCBS endorsement, been using an RCBS two-die set for my Marlin 1895 CB for a good many years with great results.  I disagree with the suggestion Lyman dies are to be avoided for some mysterious reason.  Nothing wrong with them either.  Good grief, these things aren't benchrest rifles.  There's nothing simpler than .45-70.  Any of the common die manufacturers will work fine.  

RCBS is what I've been using for decades!  Bullet mould: Lyman #457124 plain base similar to 405gr original Army bullet;  #457483GC for a 385gr gas check, cast with Lyman #2 equivalent (9lbs old wheelweights + 1 lb 50/50 lead/tin bar solder).  For a heavier bullet: Lyman #457125 for 500 gr. nominal (might be lighter with #2 alloy.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Thanks for all the feedback. Decided to go with the RCBS cowboy dies and then add a Lee factory crimp die and a Lyman cartridge checker. Now to find powder, primers, and bullets. I've got powder and some primers but would be stealing from what I have for .308 and other rounds. 

4 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Raylan,

With all due respect to Lumpy, I know that many folks have pet choices for dies, but even if you don't want to use Lyman dies, you should consider their "M" neck expanding die. It opens up the case neck, then opens the case mouth a little more for smooth insertion of the cast bullet with reduced lead shaving. If needed, the die can be further adjusted to slightly flare the case mouth. By the way, I have had no problems using Lyman 45/70 dies for years.

Rev. Chase

About all the die makers are making that kind of expanding die now days!! except Dillon

6 hours ago, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

I agree with the RCBS endorsement, been using an RCBS two-die set for my Marlin 1895 CB for a good many years with great results.  I disagree with the suggestion Lyman dies are to be avoided for some mysterious reason.  Nothing wrong with them either.  Good grief, these things aren't benchrest rifles.  There's nothing simpler than .45-70.  Any of the common die manufacturers will work fine.  

Lyman dies scratch easily because of softer steel. BTDT.

Went to RCBS many years ago-no regrets.

OLG 

Hornady Dies !!!

Got two sets of RCBS dies one in .38 Spl./.357 Mag carbide They are "ok" Nothing special but will do for my use which is seldom ... And only in Revolvers...

But the other set is a newer set of RCBS Cowboy dies in .38-40 they are very nicely made , but for the price they better be ...

I have maybe 8 or 10 sets of Lyman they are much better made than LEE and every set of RCBS I used to own ....

I have 4 sets of LEE dies for calibers seldom used ... 

But I do have several dozen sets of Hornady Dies ...

For a Number of years whenever I sold a gun I threw-in a set of RCBS dies, thereby purging my bench of them even if it meant going right out and buying a new die set in the same caliber ....

Jabez Cowboy

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Dies for the most part.

Their moulds are hit and miss.

OLG

I have read that older Lyman molds are better than new molds yet I have no way of knowing what is a new mold and what's old unless it comes in a cardboard Ideal box.

Archived