SASS Wire Forum

How Many Of You Will Get The Covid Shot?

Some folks must've taken the Statistics 101 class on Facebook...  

I've posted this before, but it's worth a watch - a doc explaining the numbers:

If my doc says get it, I will. I get the flu shot every year, the super dooper one for old people! :lol:

No thanks. After 22 years in the medical device industry I have seen firsthand how rushing a product through development effects the safety of the product. Pandemic or not this vaccine was developed far too fast and with not nearly enough testing to be considered safe. I believe I'll wait awhile.  

I posted on another topic but, COVID is a virus, and like influenza virus's mutate or evolve to stay viable. Why do you get flu shots each year? Because each year the CDC "guesses" at what flu virus will show up and create a vaccine. COVID will need a new vaccine each year. This is from my Doctor when I asked about vaccines for virus's.

The red flag for me is, 'where is the 2 years of clinical studies required by the FDA before a drug or vaccine can be used on everyone'?  Hasn't happened yet. So you'll be taking something without "known" outcomes and or side effects.

54 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

No.

I am 58, and the last physical I had the Doc told my lab tests were better than most of his 30 year patients and other than I weigh to much, I am in good shape ( round is an acceptable shape). I have lost about 40 lbs since March and my goal is to lose 100 lbs more to get down to 175 lbs. I don't take any prescription meds on a daily basis and the only thing I use is a spray for my sinus and Sinutabs when I get stopped up from allergies. I have never taken a Flu shot and the last one my sister took put her in the Mayo clinic and almost killed her.

After a couple million or so take the vaccine, I may consider it but right now my feeling is the cure may be worst that the disease and I don't fell like being a Guinea pig. I will keep doing what I normally do to stay healthy and good luck to all that take it and I hope you all stay healthy.

Unless you are policeman, fireman, health care worker or resident of a nursing home or assisted living facility there will be 20 million Americans who have been vaccinated before you can get vaccinated.  That is a large sample so side effects will be well documented by that time.  Considering what dementia Joe has been saying for months it is possible that by the time the re are enough vaccinations to inoculate the citizens, legal & illegal aliens He will mandate that to enter a federal facility or fly on ca commercial aircraft requires proof of inoculation or notarized medical certificate that you had Covid.  The latter may not do because there is anecdotal evidence that people who had Covid in March & April have been infected in Sep-Nov.

Video is full of crap - from July which means cherry picked short data time frame. There is going to have to be a year, at least, of comparable data - partial data sets done by other researchers have suggested no increase in over all death rates. Early research said the virus was 10 times as lethal as the flu, then it was 2 and 1/2 times as lethal as the flu, now it's on par with the flu. Those statistics have changed over time as more data came in. Year over year deaths will need to be gathered for the full year before we know. Like I said we won't know until we have at least a solid years worth of data to compare. So any other conclusion is premature and selling a narrative. That's the danger of getting your statistics from Youtube or Facebook approved videos as they have a definite narrative they are selling that they allow on their platforms. 

I suspect we will see a year over year increase due to the virus but what that will actually be is not known yet. 

Yes.  With several "pre-existing conditions", I'm fairly certain that if I did catch the virus, I wouldn't survive.  I've been vaccinated for everything else, might as well get this one too.

All I know is when is the last time hospitals were completely full due to a pandemic? My wife was a ICU Surgical Nurse so most of our friends are in that category. Every one of them say wear a mask, get the shot. That does tell me something and these nurses are across the entire nation.

I'm leaning towards it.  Just as my wife and I are going to get flu shots this year.

One thing in the video Hardpan posted, and which I have seen over and over in official sources, was the comment that the actual number of people who have been infected is likely 10X the official number of cases we constantly see in the press. But then,  when talking about the mortality rate the official number of infections is used.  If there really are 10X the number of infections wouldn't that mean that the mortality rate would be an order of magnitude lower?

My mother is going to die of covid 19. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago today. On Friday they were planning to move her back to her regular room in the nursing home this week. 

Yesterday her oxygen levels were low. She has been put on oxygen and morphine. 

She is 96 and probably won't make it more than a couple days. 

It will be classified as a virus death. More likely it is because she hasn't been out of bed for 2 weeks. 

On topic, yes I will get the vaccine as soon as I can. 

I suspect I had the 'rona about a year ago, before it was a "thing." If it wasn't the 'rona, it was real similar... Maybe HKU1? My lady and I both had the same thing (she gave it to me). She lost her sense of smell, we both coughed really bad, to the point I stressed my hernia mesh. I had a confusion incident (total loss of sense of time, even loss of orientation to what year it was) that had me almost calling 911.

It hung on for a long time (weeks), thought we would get better, then no energy after going up three steps.

Anyway, I am in the list as "everyone else" after those with priority for one reason or another. So herd immunity will likely exist before I get the chance or the choice of vaccination.

Flu shot is next week though. Will get that.

just took my covid shots I distill it my self 

1995 a friend wanted to make absente  she gave me her CC and said make the best still you can  

after 2 months of drinking that stuff she stopped drinking everything and gave me back the still 

can buy 200 pounds of corn flour adn 200 pound of sugar at costco with  no calls the reveners 

Not doing it.  No politics here, either, but 1) I have a healthy - sometimes overactive - immune system, very rarely get a viral illness (& if I do, it's mild - when I had chicken pox, I had about six blisters) and 2) not sure who I inherited the genetic predisposition for allergies from, but it was probably allergies from Dad & migraines from Mom (the same gene is involved).  When I was in middle school my Dad got a job-required flu shot & wound up in the hospital.  Mom told me then not to take anything that would mess with the immune system she had actively worked to strengthen all my life.

That being said, I hope my husband & daughter are pretty close to front of the line.  They are virus magnets.

I will pass , I don't even get the flue shot .

Lord I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam.

And they both tried to kill me in 1973 .

I think I will be OK.

So Saithe The Rooster  

Nope.

This vaccine is a version 1.0 release... rushed to production without the usual rigorous testing for political expediency.
I remember Thalidomide...

Mom always said, "Just say No to One dot Oh."

Two of my daughters are COVID nurses.
Both are adamant about NOT getting this vaccine.
They say the other nurses are equally as adamant.

The gov't will force this on everybody eventually.
Cannot fly, cannot travel, cannot return to work, etc, without proof of vaccination.
By then, it will have advanced beyond a Version 1.0 product.

Let's look at some numbers.

During the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, the CDC estimated that there were 60.8 million cases in the U. S. (range: 43.3 - 89.3 million cases).  

To date (about nine and a half months into the Covid pandemic) in the U. S. we have almost 15 million cases reported.  If indeed there are ten times as many cases as recognized (I suspect that may be somewhat of an overestimation), then there could actually be 150 million cases - or over twice the number of '09 H1N1 pandemic.  And, of course, the number is growing.

But the bottom line is the number of fatalities.  If you are a fatality, you ain't gonna recover.

In the '09 pandemic (remember, this was "the Flu!"), there were 12,469 deaths recorded.

As of today, 12/06/2020, there are 287,825 fatalities recorded.  That's TWENTY THREE TIMES as many dead - so far.  And the fatality rate is climbing ~ we'll most likely see 300,000 by the end of this week.

Are the numbers a little fuzzy?  Undoubtedly - it's the nature of the beast when working with numbers like these.  Is the pandemic a hoax?  Uh... I'm sure some will think so.  After all, there are those who claim we never landed on the moon, the President of the United States was responsible for the 9-11 attack, Elvis is still alive and the Earth is flat.

Actually, I think I saw Elvis once, down to the 7-11.  He was disguised as a midget.  :rolleyes:

I will get it and hope by the time I am eligible to get it there have been enough innoculations given to begin to see any side effects.  When the great Swine Flu panic of 1976 took place a vacine was created and after millions received it serious side effects started showing up.  So many that a special branch of the U.S. Court of Claims was created.  The Court of Claims is now the United States Court of Federal Claims and there is still a division of the court that hears nothing but vacine cases.

https://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/vaccine-programoffice-special-masters

Pass..Yes there is a Chinese virus & yes you have to be careful  BUT' I am not very trusting as to the effect or content of a vaccine !!

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll get it before anyone in my family gets it. I'll guinea pig for the team.

4 members of my immediate family have had it. None have been hospitalized but the general consensus is "it ain't no fun".

I get the annual flu shot so I will be in line when available.

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Let's look at some numbers.... we'll most likely see 300,000 by the end of this week....

Using your 300,000 estimate and Al Bore's Internet search result of 328,200,000 population of the United States, POINT zero nine (.09) percent chance of dying of the China flu.

After reading through this thread, looking at numbers,  reading articles online and talking to my wife I am sure that I will not be in that first 20 million batch of people that will be eligible to get the vaccine.

I have decided that by the time those 20 million folks  get the vaccine that more  will be known about it and if there is  no seriously detrimental effects I will go ahead and get the shot if it's offered. I have decided that my attitude about the possibility of a vaccine and me not taking it has been selfish. From what I have read the side effects of the existing vaccines have been headaches for a day or two, some nausea and pain at the injection site.  If that is all for the immediate effects then I can handle  that, I'm sure. But, the little devil  that rides my shoulder whispers "What about the long term effects?" I guess we'll know that in the long run, won't we?

Have a wonderful day everybody. :)

My wife and I are not healthcare workers or in the high risk category, other than our age.It's been estimated that we will not be offered the vaccine until as late as May or June.By then there should be some feedback on after effects,effectiveness,etc, to make a more informed decision.

Until then I sit squarely on the fence.

Choctaw

17 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Will I take a vaccine that is projected to be 95% effective against a virus with a known 99.6% recovery rate?  No.

Agreed.

From what I saw today it takes two shots (28 days apart) to be protected, and the protection could last as little as 2-3 months up to 6 months.? The virus has been with us since around the first of the year. I don't think I want to put up with side effects for that kind of protection.
My mother and father-in-law both had it. My sister-in-law had it as well as her daughter and son-in-law. all of them have survived.
I'll take a pass.

16 hours ago, Snake River Clay said:

My mother is going to die of covid 19. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago today. On Friday they were planning to move her back to her regular room in the nursing home this week. 

It will be classified as a virus death. More likely it is because she hasn't been out of bed for 2 weeks. 

My mother died at 1:30 this morning. She was 96 and had dementia for several years. She had a fantastic life that she didn't remember. She is at peace and has her memories back. 

I find it odd that some people seem to be more afraid of the vaccine than the virus.

1 hour ago, Snake River Clay said:

My mother died at 1:30 this morning. She was 96 and had dementia for several years. She had a fantastic life that she didn't remember. She is at peace and has her memories back. 

God bless and be with you and yours. 

20 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Some folks must've taken the Statistics 101 class on Facebook...  

I've posted this before, but it's worth a watch - a doc explaining the numbers:

Here is another good video from the doctor in the video that you posted, Hardpan. The MRNA vaccine is the platform for the CoVid  Vaccine.

19 hours ago, Snake River Clay said:

Sorry for the bad news. Keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. . 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I find it odd that some people seem to be more afraid of the vaccine thasn the virus.

I'm afraid of both, to some extent!

We're both over 65, so vulnerable, but we also take very good care of our health (according to our physicians).

We live rural enough and quietly enough that we face little exposure to the bug, but there is always a non-zero chance of exposure.

We're willing to wait a year or so to take a shot for this disease, especially if it is by then proven to be safer than getting the bug.

We do not take the Flu vaccine - it is at best 50/50 effective on a good year but this one may become a pre-requisite for international travel.

I'm not concerned about some Gov't conspiracy, but I accept that sometimes mistakes are made and it takes a while to see them fully

and to understand the unanticipated results.  There may be markers in one's health or gene profile that contra-indicates one or the other

as a viable medicine - more knowledge is good.

SC

4 minutes ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I'm afraid of both, to some extent!

We're both over 65, so vulnerable, but we also take very good care of our health (according to our physicians).

We live rural enough and quietly enough that we face little exposure to the bug, but there is always a non-zero chance of exposure.

We're willing to wait a year or so to take a shot for this disease, especially if it is by then proven to be safer than getting the bug.

We do not take the Flu vaccine - it is at best 50/50 effective on a good year but this one may become a pre-requisite for international travel.

I'm not concerned about some Gov't conspiracy, but I accept that sometimes mistakes are made and it takes a while to see them fully

and to understand the unanticipated results.  There may be markers in one's health or gene profile that contra-indicates one or the other

as a viable medicine - more knowledge is good.

SC

Well put, sir.

Archived