SASS Wire Forum

Hunting slings, how do you carry?

sassnetguy50

The ask: Seeking advice for comfortable sling carry.  This will be a bolt action hunting rifle carried over the prairie and through the woods.  Quick times for sling to firing position is not a concern here.  How do you carry and why?

Background:  Sling carry has always been cumbersome and uncomfortable.  Possibly do to an ill fitted sling.  Hand carrying rifles and breaking shotguns over the shoulder has become the common carry method.  Older, fat and seeing more options on the market lends to giving slings another chance.  Front, back, side, vertical, diagonal, horizontal, what is best?  Does anyone use a small backpack with a rifle pouch?

I have tried a number of slings and sling styles. 
A sling that looks good usually doesn’t carry well. 
A sling that’s fast to get off the shoulder and into shooting position is usually a PITA when carrying the rifle as it slips off the shoulder and usually has no padding which gets uncomfortable after a while when carrying the rifle. 
Slings that can be used as a brace for shooting, like a military or “Ching” sling do not carry well over time and distance. 

For transporting a rifle I recommend something like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Rifle-Swivels-Baktrak-Technology/dp/B00TY424FC/ref=zg_bs_3413391_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W5VS4WED99MQDE9NPPQP

But! Notice the rubbery backing to keep the gun on your shoulder? This backing is great if you are wearing a light cotton or denim jacket. This backing is just awful if wearing a nylon or polyester jacket or coat because it grabs the material as you try to don or doff the rifle and sling for carrying. 
When you go to pick a sling think about what you plan to be wearing. 
A suede or rough leather backing works great on natural materials like cotton and wool to keep the sling on your shoulder but doesn’t work so well if wearing a synthetic fiber jacket or coat. 

Slings are like holsters. Every long time shooter has a drawer full of them that didn’t work out. If you can, take your rifle to a store that has a nice selection of slings and actually try them out if the store will let you. Also, wear clothing that you will more than likely be wearing when you are carrying the gun. That will go a long way to helping you select a sling. 
What works for me may not work for you. Slings are a personal thing. 

The best sling arrangement for me is the single-point style that allows the AR-type rifle to hang in front of me with one hand always on the rifle. Unfortunately I don't see how that would work on a traditional bolt-action, unless you built a BA based on an AR frame, which are offered on the market. For me the stock up/muzzle down was always to most comfortable BA carry as the muzzle up/stock down pinches my shoulder. The very best way is to hire a gun packer and change your name to Bawana.

I prefer short barreled (16-18 in.) bolt action hunting rifles.  I'm right handed.  I carry muzzle down on my left sholder with the sling to the front, rifle to the rear.  This way I can grip the forearm at hip level with my left hand for control.  This carry allows me to lift the rifle, swing the butt across my body, take a right hand grip & shoulder it.  I am also able to keep my left elbow in the sling with this technique to aid shooting support.  This carry style probably has a name.  

+1 for Pat Riot.  Get a good, grippy, wide shoulder strap.  Mine are hooked with the shoulder strap at the rifle's butt.

I have short bolt guns or my Marlin 1894, muzzle down, right shoulder ( right handed).  Mounting the sling upside down with the pad near the buttplate allows the pad to be on my shoulder and puts the narrow leather on my left forearm for cinching in.

I also carry a handgun for dispatch, snakes and wild dogs on my left hip.

When hunting, I use a sling to comfortably transport a long gun.  The operative word here is "transport;" hiking to an area where I will actually hunt.  When on a stand or still hunting, the gun will be in my hands.  I don't need - nor want - a "combat ready" SWAT rig.

My favorite for years has been a leather, suede-faced "cobra" style sling, where the weight is eased by a wide part of the strap.

1488453625_50_444_1.jpg  1488453625_50_444_3.jpg

2 hours ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

I prefer short barreled (16-18 in.) bolt action hunting rifles.  I'm right handed.  I carry muzzle down on my left sholder with the sling to the front, rifle to the rear.  This way I can grip the forearm at hip level with my left hand for control.  This carry allows me to lift the rifle, swing the butt across my body, take a right hand grip & shoulder it.  I am also able to keep my left elbow in the sling with this technique to aid shooting support.  This carry style probably has a name.  

+1 for Pat Riot.  Get a good, grippy, wide shoulder strap.  Mine are hooked with the shoulder strap at the rifle's butt.

+1 Works fine for 22" barreled rifles.  Also, where legal, carry a sixgun butt-forward on my right side for a righthand cavalry (twist) or lefthand crossdraw, if necessary.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Archived