SASS Wire Forum

Bayonet for my M1

Perro Del Diablo

Cosmoline. Such a manly scent. :D

I bought a bayonet for my M1 from Sarco. I am not impressed with it at all. I didn’t read the fine print, only the “great price”. It’s an Asian knock off that I am pretty sure was made by a Vietnamese guy by a fire pit in a camp using only his feet to make and assemble it. If that were so it would be impressive...I am sure it is not so...not impressive at all. I wasted some money. I won’t even attempt to attach it to my M1 as I am afraid it would induce some kind of disease into my pride and joy.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I bought a bayonet for my M1 from Sarco. I am not impressed with it at all. I didn’t read the fine print, only the “great price”. It’s an Asian knock off that I am pretty sure was made by a Vietnamese guy by a fire pit in a camp using only his feet to make and assemble it. If that were so it would be impressive...I am sure it is not so...not impressive at all. I wasted some money. I won’t even attempt to attach it to my M1 as I am afraid it would induce some kind of disease into my pride and joy.

At least you could use it to throw at logs until it breaks

9 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

At least you could use it to throw at logs until it breaks

That is a good point...and a good idea. ;)

so , just curious but which M1 - carbine or garand ? 

so , just curious but which M1 - carbine or garand ? it does make a difference and pretty much most were made in foreign factories over the years after our service use , 

mikes photos - 2 005.JPG

mikes photos - 2 008.JPG

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well IF , I am reduced to using the pointey thingey 

it be time to liberate the other guys rifle 

CB 

I want one for roasting weinies and marshmallows. :rolleyes: :D

Damnit! Auto communista drives me nuts v

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

so , just curious but which M1 - carbine or garand ? it does make a difference and pretty much most were made in foreign factories over the years after our service use , 

mikes photos - 2 005.JPG

mikes photos - 2 008.JPG

When fellas here in the Saloon say M1 they are talking about their Rifle, Cal .30, M1 aka Garand. 
Except a few guys who might be talking about an Abrams. :P

8 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Got bayonet from CMP few small nicks on blade. I almost couldn’t see them through the cosmoline think be month until I wash all of it if my hands. :P

M1 or M5?

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I may have mentioned I’m paring down my collection. I have a 1943 dated United Cutlery cut down spear point I will part with. It ain’t cheap but it’s authentic. ;)

5B567203-07BD-4EE3-AF9E-CEA45EE4765C.jpeg

844B333F-81DC-48E1-B197-7C19737893BA.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I may have mentioned I’m paring down my collection. I have a 1943 dated United Cutlery cut down spear point I will part with. It ain’t cheap but it’s authentic. ;)

5B567203-07BD-4EE3-AF9E-CEA45EE4765C.jpeg

844B333F-81DC-48E1-B197-7C19737893BA.jpeg

Wow. Nice! Thank you for the offer. My M1’s receiver was made in 1943. What do you consider “ain’t cheap”? ;)

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

not completely familiar with the CMP offerings , they dont have any M1905 or M1905E1 ? all would be proper 

No. Not any more. It’s been a while.

51 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wow. Nice! Thank you for the offer. My M1’s receiver was made in 1943. What do you consider “ain’t cheap”? ;)

Well, cheaper than  thisn.....

EBA5F2F3-EAEA-44C0-B55B-200E48D20229.png

39 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, cheaper than  thisn.....

EBA5F2F3-EAEA-44C0-B55B-200E48D20229.png

Maybe after Christmas if you’d be interested in selling it, I would be interested in buying it. :D

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Maybe after Christmas if you’d be interested in selling it, I would be interested in buying it. :D

$125 Black Friday special. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

$125 Black Friday special. :lol:

After Christmas I can call it an early birthday present to myself. ;)

I would like to buy it from you. I will PM you. 

Pondering getting an appropriate "pointy thing" for the Kid for Christmas, to complete his 1953 IH.  :)

1798823250_RysIH.thumb.jpg.712f2e43500e18ae2617e15f8b02e366.jpg

13 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Got bayonet from CMP few small nicks on blade. I almost couldn’t see them through the cosmoline think be month until I wash all of it if my hands. :P

I lucked out. The one I got from them looked darn near.unissued.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Pondering getting an appropriate "pointy thing" for the Kid for Christmas, to complete his 1953 IH.  :)

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=4

Pic no workee

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

mikes photos - 2 005.JPG

mikes photos - 2 008.JPG

1941 Springfield garand

the 41 springfield would have been issued with the longer M1905 and could have had walnut scales or the bakelights with any of the longer scabbards M1910 canvas covered or M3 fiberglass but after 42 they were "E"xperimenting with cutting down the M1905 with either a spear point or the drop point as the M1905E1  and the M3A1 cutdown scabbard and by 43 they were making the shorter M1 bayonets with M7 scabbard and continued to cut the longer ones down , these would all be correct for WWII era rifles , 

the M5 version with the M8 version scabbard is korean war era , 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pic no workee

That's odd... I can see it, even in your quote.   :huh:

Lemme try that again:

1798823250_RysIH.thumb.jpg.712f2e43500e18ae2617e15f8b02e366.jpg          1594196700_RysIH2.thumb.jpg.f4e3775768b56254b7bfe1718acedd34.jpg

What I never could figure out was how you were supposed to "fix" a bayonet, when it didn't appear to be broken! :rolleyes::lol:  So far as I know, the last bayonet charge occurred in Korea...maybe at Pork Chop Hill.  Didn't the M5 fit both the M-1 Rifle and the Carbine?  I'm not sure how good an idea it was on the end of that little carbine.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What I never could figure out was how you were supposed to "fix" a bayonet, when it didn't appear to be broken! :rolleyes::lol:  So far as I know, the last bayonet charge occurred in Korea...maybe at Pork Chop Hill.  Didn't the M5 fit both the M-1 Rifle and the Carbine?  I'm not sure how good an idea it was on the end of that little carbine.

No. The M5 was specifically for the M1. It was fielded in the last year of the war, developed based on complaints from the troops that the M1 bayonet was impossible to fish and unfix with heavy gloves due to the small release button.
The M4 was the only bayonet designed for the carbine. 1st models had the leather grip.

Nice pics of many pointy things here

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Well I need the M1905 for my M1903

So it'll look like this?  :)

(Disclaimer ~ this is a replica.  It was actually pretty darned inexpensive.  Bayonet, that is... not the rifle! ^_^)

893995480_RodSpringfield.thumb.jpg.7f01a81e50a4d565ea530bc7639ab61e.jpg

57 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So it'll look like this?  :)

(Disclaimer ~ this is a replica.  It was actually pretty darned inexpensive.  Bayonet, that is... not the rifle! ^_^)

893995480_RodSpringfield.thumb.jpg.7f01a81e50a4d565ea530bc7639ab61e.jpg

Yep

My M1903 fought with the Greeks during WWII.

I have these for my military rifles:

677184725_Bayodisplay-3.thumb.jpg.22766ff0c4c6a1037452ce9a99e87dc3.jpg

In the collection are bayonets for:

• Trapdoor Springfield
  • 1873 Winchester Musket (2)
  • Krag
  • 1917 Enfield
  • 1903 Springfield (RIA 1917 16 inch)
  • 1903 Springfield / M1 Garand (1942 UFH 16 inch "untouched")
  • M1 Garand (1942 UFH "cut down spear point"
  • M1 Garand (United Cutlery)
  • M1 Garand (AFH) << I bought this one for $0.50 back in the 60's! 
  • M1941 Johnson (repro)
  • M1 Carbine (2 USM4's)
  • M1 Garand (USM5)

There are five other knives shown:

• Confederate Bowie (handmade repro)
  • Fairbairn-Sykes
  • Colonial Jackknife (Issued to my FIL (RIP) during WWII)
  • Kukri
  • USN Mk 2 (Issued to a fellow Cowboy during WWII who gave it to me)

Archived