SASS Wire Forum

Found one - WTB 1897 Shotgun in Colorado

Tortoise

I have a 1956 Winchester 97' (serial number over 1 million) great production year, that I can make cowboy ready for you.  Nice tight lock up, clean bore, worn finish, currently stock with 30" barrel, will make a great cowboy shotgun.

I'm in New Mexico and would have to ship to CO ffl.

Ken Griner

20200616_093524.jpg

6 hours ago, John Hicks Adams said:

Hi:

Looking for a 1897 D or E ready for CAS in Colorado.  Anybody got one?

Thanks

Tortoise (aka John Hicks Adams)

John, before you invest in any 97, I suggest you talk with 69 Cent Wizard or Maker Wright, both shoot at Briggsdale and both have extensive experience with the 97. I shoot a 97 on occasion but I rely on SxS. The 97's don't hold up as well, in fact most Cowboys say unless you have 3 97"s don't plan on being able to rely on the Damn things. Maker Wright shoots the 97 all of the time and is very good, check out his video on YouTube. I love the damn things but Wizard's advice seems to hold true. Of course the Champions with the 97 around here are Cobra Cat (all around), and Crazy Indian Dude. Well that's a long 2 Cents worth, but the more I listen to the Cowboys I mentioned the better my experience.

Welcome aboard. Briggsdale is a wonderful club filled with the best of people.

Russ the Red

I shot a 97 for the first 6 or 7 years that I shot with never a failure I would still shoot one but the rules mandate that you must shoot

a double in black powder classes. There are more shooting technique issues with the 97. Can one break sure but my experience and 

many others is that if you keep them maintained run it like ya stole it they are a fun gun to shoot and can be really fast.   

Just another opinion here as I don't shoot '97's any more (I shoot SxS's) but if El Mulo Vaquero says he can get one running for you I am inclined to believe him. His gunsmithing is very good and if I recall correctly he used to build guns for the Evil Roy School. I have drooled over several of his guns thru the years. A very humble guy so I will be glad to put out the shameless plug for him.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I would second Gateway's opinion about El Mulo Vaquero.

He slicked up my wife's pistols just like he does for Evil Roy.

They are a joy to shoot  !

He's a great gunsmith !

Archived