SASS Wire Forum

Green Dot Load Question

German Jim

I have some 205gr., .45 Colt Bear Creek Bullets sized at .452.  I want to load some .45 Colt ammo with Green Dot smokeless.  What would be a good STARTing load for Green Dot?

TIA - Jim

Green Dot makes the best 16 ga. 1 oz. loads for Smokie less  Cowboy shooting ....

In .45 Colt with your light bullets I would start with 6 gr. and work up ...

Jabez Cowboy

I realize this isn’t the same caliber, but I had a great CAS 200grn 44 magnum load with 5.5 grns of green dot.  

Shot POA out of 5.5” vaqueros.

starting loads of almost any powder suck in .45 colt, because it's a huge case.sooooo don't load a thousand and wish you hadn't .Just a thought.(no,not  something I did. )

I used to use Green Dot in my regular cowboy loads ... because (at the time) I was also using it for 45acp as well as long range pistol caliber cowboy loads in 45.

(For me) ... A 200gr Bear Creek over 7.9gr would go 1200fps out of my 20 inch Rossi ... when zeroed 2 inches high at 25yds it was a POA shot at 100yds.

For the regular (cowboy) loads ... I used 5gr w/ the 200gr (205) Bear Creek bullets. Those went  640fps out of my 4 3/4 revolvers and 720fps out of the Rossi (20 inch). 

Thanks for all the replies.  I've got lots of Green Dot and use it when I shot smokeless (shotgun, rifle and pistol).  For rifle and pistol, I use a 255 gr. Bear Creek Bullet.  I came across a bunch of 205 grainers and was wondering how much Green Dot to use.  That's the reason for my question.

Archived