SASS Wire Forum

IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, DON'T OPEN THIS

Outlaw Gambler

These were some of the items that were stored inside "fire rated" safes in a house that burned in September 2020 during the Beachie Creek Fire located in Gates Oregon.

image.png.1ba965f6d2fee11cd84e2869d11a322f.png

image.png.b57573ee078a72a6fe695bb1b27d9666.png

https://www.deansafe.com/pages/an-explanation-of-fire-ratings-for-home-safes-and-gun-safes

This is important these days, especially here in California lately.

"According to several firemen that I have questioned over the years, a normal house fire ranges from 800 to 1,200° F and will usually, but not always, be under control - if not extinguished - within 20 minutes. This is not the case in a fire storm, which can rage through an entire neighborhood at anywhere from 2,000° F and higher. These fires can level a neighborhood within minutes."

in the Oakland hills fire  they had cars that Melted 

only  hard steel nuts and bolts where l 

Aluminum block melted to very pretty art work 

I am very lucky I have my gun safe in garage the water line ifeeding the house is right behind it .. I offered a Sprinker fitter I worked with a BBQ dinner to hook it up right 

I sure hope I never need it 

Looks like an 87 Winchester in the first pic. Jay Leno has a video about a original cobra stored at his garage for the fires. He said he knew a guy who lived in a fire prone zone that built a "fire proof garage" to store his very expensive car. I don't remember if it was a Lamborghini or what but when he got back the garage still stood, inside was a puddle of melted aluminum. I've also heard of gun safes that were in a basement or fell into the basement, the drains clogged and the guns sat under water for a few days.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Looks like an 87 Winchester in the first pic. Jay Leno has a video about a original cobra stored at his garage for the fires. He said he knew a guy who lived in a fire prone zone that built a "fire proof garage" to store his very expensive car. I don't remember if it was a Lamborghini or what but when he got back the garage still stood, inside was a puddle of melted aluminum. I've also heard of gun safes that were in a basement or fell into the basement, the drains clogged and the guns sat under water for a few days.

If my guns had to sit in a fire for a few hours, I'd be glad if they did so while soaked with water.  It takes a lot of energy to boil off the water.

When I bought my first safe I did some research. First most of the safes you buy may be fire rated but not burglary rated. Watching YouTube videos the safes are easy to break into. If a thief has about 30 minutes. Second in a "house" fire the seal around the door expands to prevent heat and water from getting in. Once the fire is out the seal is compromised and will shrink. No big deal except the heat of the safe draws in moisture. If you don't get in and remove everything within a few hours, you'll have a pile of rust and ruined documents. The issue there is will the police/fire departments let you in?

I bought a fire and burlary rated safe. The safe interior walls have concrete instead of gypsum board.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

That will buff right out....NOT!  :o

While some of those are likely replaceable, likely, some are not.  I sure hope he was insured. 

Oh it's nothing a little wd-40 can't fix.......

Makes me think I should wrap my safes with some thick cloth, and put a big plastic bucket on top full of water.Fire melts bucket, cloth get wet. Easy to do and might increase the fire protection. 

When we had the Queen's Canyon Fire and then the Black Forest Fire in the mid-10's, just over 300 homes burned in each of those fires. When I went through the area, I expected to see piles of burnt rubble, to include things like charred refrigerators, washing machines, etc. Nope. The homes and all their contents were burnt flat to the ground and the ashes blown away...the only thing that might be standing of a home would be the remnants of a fire place chimney. No fire safe out there is going to survive that type of fire. Best case, the safe's fire protection may save something in a smaller fire that the fire fighters might get under control quickly.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you for posting this Outlaw Gambler. You just reminded me that I need to upgrade my insurance. Thank you. :)

Anymore, some insurance companies would turn a guy in as a terrorist who wanted to insure a "healthy amount" of firearms. After all, who really needs more than a shotgun for rabbits? Not sure I'd trust some of these Insurance companies anymore or your itemized list at said company not being "hacked"  by any number of entities anymore.

Conspiracy rant off. Sort of.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Anymore, some insurance companies would turn a guy in as a terrorist who wanted to insure a "healthy amount" of firearms. After all, who really needs more than a shotgun for rabbits? Not sure I'd trust some of these Insurance companies anymore or your itemized list at said company not being "hacked"  by any number of entities anymore.

Conspiracy rant off. Sort of.

USAA wouldn’t  :FlagAm:

Excellent organization. 

Archived