SASS Wire Forum

What is this?I have a b0x o maybE 500+ loose ammo.

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have maybe 500 or more loose 7.62 Russian ammo that I can't identify.

It appears to be standard military surplus, but it's covered with a copper-colored "wash" on everything but the primers.  The copper is untarnished, but looks like it might have been sprayed on for whatever reason.  It might be steel cased, but my magnet doesn't really stick to it...just a mild attraction.

The only markings are on either side of the primers and appear to be a 61 above and 94 below.  This is some weird-looking ammo, but.........what do I have.........and does  anyone want to buy it?

A quick search turned up:

The case was drawn from a copper-clad steel cup. When the extractor groove was cut, it exposed bare steel, so lacquer was applied to prevent rust.

This is typical for this caliber and case material. A notable exception is North Korean 7.62x39mm which have the entire steel case copper plated after the extractor groove is cut. Early Soviet and Chinese steel cases that were brass plated also appear to have been done after the extractor groove was cut, but why this was not done the same way with copper is unknown to me. Perhaps using copper-clad steel was easier on the tooling compared to bare steel.

AKMS

Without a pic it sounds like Chico’s or N Korean

The Russian 7.62X54 was copper washed. Used in Mosin_Nagant rifles.

kR

PS I will be in Prescott on the 13th of December, shooting at the Whiskey row gunslingers and would be glad to meet with you and buy it from you if it is 762X54. Let me know if that is ok with you.

I have a case of Chicom 7.62-39 like that. It's steel core ammo. People pay real money for the stuff! I got it for $88.00 for 1400 with a SKS rifle.

Archived