SASS Wire Forum

Making my new Freedom Arms 97 SASS legal...?

Wade Butcher

WW4YsDn.jpg

4yuyIdX.jpg

WADwEzv.jpg

DsHTi4N.jpg

Hello, everyone. Newbie here.

I recently purchased this Freedom Arms Model 97 revolver, and I want to make it SASS-legal. I know that I'll have to replace the front sight with a simple blade. (I'll search the web for one later today.) However, the rear sight is adjustable, so I'll have to replace that with a non-adjustable rear sight, correct?

Any recommendations on a SASS-legal rear sight that may work with this 97 model?

(I'll worry about finding a holster for this oddity a little later. LOL)

Thanks in advance, everyone.

W.B.

Adjustable rear sight is legal in age based categories and B Western. It’ll be  good to go, only issues in Classic Cowboy, FC , gunfighter, duelist,etc....;)

7 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Adjustable sights are legal, but I think you will have to remove the orange part of the front sight, just use the front sight without the orange insert, the targets are not that far away.

With that barrel length you could just push the targets over.

12 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Adjustable rear sight is legal in age based categories.  It’ll be  good to go, only issues in Classic Cowboy, FC , gunfighter, duelist,etc....;)

LOL That sounds like all the categories! =)

8 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Adjustable sights are legal, but I think you will have to remove the orange part of the front sight, just use the front sight without the orange insert, the targets are not that far away.

Oh! Removing just the orange part makes the front sight legal? That's awesome! Such a brilliant quick fix. Thanks!

W.B.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you have a second handgun?

That's gonna be a very cumbersome piece.

OLG 

Yes, I have an Uberti El Patron Competition (357) with a 4.75" barrel on the way, and I'll be buying a very nice matching pair of Ruger New Vaqueros (45 Colt) once the seller gets back from his trip. The Vaqueros will be my main pistols. This FA monstrosity was bought on a whim in case I feel like being silly at a match someday. (I'm not competitive; I'm just doing this for fun, friends, and a few laughs.)

W.B.

Wade,

Beautiful gun, however I do not believe totally a FA product.  I have a number of octagon barrel FAs (and have let a few 10" octagon Model 83s go, with exception to one 454), yours barrel does not appear to be an FA but a Power Custom.  Of course the action is 97 and i could be wrong about the barrel but the sling attachment on barrel is certainly different from any I have had them install.  In my opinion there is no finer revolver.  In my IHMSA days I ran three calibers in 10" 83s and I have taken numerous game with my 454s.   If I am right about the barrel, might be that Power's could help you with the front sight (which also does not appear to me to be a FA sight).

Is this the 32 caliber chambering?  Understand they, as most FAs, are very accurate.

Have fun with that sweet piece.

454s 014.jpg

100_0501.JPG

Wow, Billy Boots. You have a sweet FA collection!

Yes, the barrel does say " ~By Power Custom~ ", so maybe that's an aftermarket replacement? I do hope that it's as well made as the original FA barrel. :unsure:

SIDJyuN.jpg

And to answer your question, the caliber (as setup) is 357, but I have a separate 38 Special cylinder for it too.

W.B.

Oh, and it's good to hear that the action is a legit FA 97 action. This is the first "tuned" revolver that I've owned as well as my first FA firearm. The action certainly feels exceptional, but then again...what do I know (since I have no other tuned SAAs with which to compare it)? I'm left with taking my FFL owner's word for it when he cycled it and said, "This isn't a gun; it's a Swiss clock that shoots bullets." :D

W.B.

19 minutes ago, Wade Butcher said:

Wow, Billy Boots. You have a sweet FA collection!

Yes, the barrel does say " ~By Power Custom~ ", so maybe that's an aftermarket replacement? I do hope that it's as well made as the original FA barrel. :unsure:

SIDJyuN.jpg

And to answer your question, the caliber (as setup) is 357, but I have a separate 38 Special cylinder for it too.

W.B.

And, a few of many.  I was a long time FA dealer, know the family, enjoyed hospitality there, and so on.  I too have some 38 extra cylinders but couple years ago I had opportunity to purchase another pair of nice  97s from Happy Jack that did not have the extra cylinders.  After testing this pair with my 38 loads, I realized the extra cylinders probably gained me very little.  I now find the 357 cylinders offer a couple  advantages.  Of course most CAS shooters shoot 38 in their 357 all the time and would not think of the change.

I will send you a PM so we might chat more and perhaps I might offer advice and helpful comments.  This way we can keep the conversations from cluttering the SASS Wire.  There a number little tricks that can be done to FA 97, free spin is not one, and the tricks are certainly fewer than with many other revolvers.  The biggest disadvantage I have experienced in them thru two decades of CAS shooting is they share same type of main/hammer spring setup as Colts...flat spring.  I think Ruger is for superior there, and  Snake Oil George and I have discussed possible conversion of flat to Ruger style coil.

b

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

454s 014.jpg

100_0501.JPG

Very, very, very, very nice. :D

I do love me some FA or even the BFG line of revolvers.

5 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Very, very, very, very nice. :D

I do love me some FA or even the BFG line of revolvers.

And they have some rather awesome single shots as well.

I wish FA would market a gun chambered for the Spencer cartrridge, but let that go.   

Very beautiful gun, Wade.  There is something about octagon barrels on a revolver that is just super cool.  So much so that I [had one] made for myself.

1240187631_BigIron.thumb.JPG.afbe0749e8b1d7279fffb6d89124a788.JPG

We need to have some sort of a "Big Iron" side match.   How "Big Iron" would be defined could be open to interpretation.  "Bigger than a 7.5" barrel Colt" would be the simplest way to do it, I suppose.   As long as the gun is big enough, the caliber doesn't matter.

Had a friend of mine, some years back, who had an 83 with a 7-1/2" octagon barrel and a scope on it. At the time, he was a Professional Hunter, licensed in several African countries.  IIRC he took a Cape Buffalo with that piece! Packed it in a shoulder holster I made for him.

Other than one of the .22 mini revolvers from FA, the only other one I've owned is a Field Grade 555 .50 AE that I sent back in to have a convertible .500 Wyoming Express cylinder fitted about fifteen years ago. I've never known anybody else who has one.

.500 Wyoming Express! You're right, a scarce one. I think that's a handloaders only proposition anymore unless Grizzly still offers it. What a cannon!

The more I read this thread, the more I think that some sort of a side match for big guns is a good idea.  Big could be defined as either some sort of size definition, or in an unusually large caliber regardless of size.   Several of the guns pictured here, or the unusual calibers mentioned would be quite facinating to see in action at the cowboy range.   

Might need special targets if people are running something like .44 Magnum at standard factory loading or larger calibers, but it sure would be fun.   Perhaps there could even be two "categories."  Guns that are large, like my Big Iron or converted Walker that use standard calibers, and guns that are chambered for things like 454 Casull or other "super magnums."

Any takers?

Actually there Wade, that swell Glow Worm in your front sight is designed to be replaceable.  Just R&R it with a length of Brass Rod.  Permanently altering it to SASS Legalities would wind up cutting it's actual value in half.

Buy a sling.  Take it for the walk inna woods it was intended for. 

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

.500 Wyoming Express! You're right, a scarce one. I think that's a handloaders only proposition anymore unless Grizzly still offers it. What a cannon!

Brass is still listed on their Web site, but I read on a Freedom Arms owners board earlier this year that they don't have any, have no current supplier, and have no immediate plans to contract any more. All it would take is a phone call to find out, I guess. I've got dies and 320 pieces of brass, so I'm probably set for life anyway - it's not something you step outside with every week and touch off a hundred rounds. 

23 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Actually there Wade, that swell Glow Worm in your front sight is designed to be replaceable.  Just R&R it with a length of Brass Rod.  Permanently altering it to SASS Legalities would wind up cutting it's actual value in half.

Buy a sling.  Take it for the walk inna woods it was intended for. 

What a fantastic idea! I have brass rods that I use for restoring straight razors (peening the scales together). That would be perfect! Thank you! :o

W.B.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Actually there Wade, that swell Glow Worm in your front sight is designed to be replaceable.  Just R&R it with a length of Brass Rod. 

Just to be the wet blanket - R&R of the fiber optic with a brass rod will not make the sight SASS legal. 

Per the rules - the ENTIRETY of the rear sight blade must be the same color - this specifically disallows tubes or beads on a blade sight - exceptions for post front sights.

Replacing the fiber optic with a brass rod would effectively present to the shooter as a bead sight.

Perhaps, (and I'm saying "perhaps"),  replacing the fiber optic with a material the same color as the rest of the front sight would be legal.

OR brass channel is widely available at hobby and modeling stores - a little work with tin snips and you may be able to form something that "covers" the entire rear surface of the sight - a little adhesive and viola - legal sight.  When or if you decide to sell; remove the brass cover,  clean off the glue and return to factory spec without removal or damage to your factory sight.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Just to be the wet blanket - R&R of the fiber optic with a brass rod will not make the sight SASS legal. 

Per the rules - the ENTIRETY of the rear sight blade must be the same color - this specifically disallows tubes or beads on a blade sight - exceptions for post front sights.

Replacing the fiber optic with a brass rod would effectively present to the shooter as a bead sight.

Perhaps, (and I'm saying "perhaps"),  replacing the fiber optic with a material the same color as the rest of the front sight would be legal.

OR brass channel is widely available at hobby and modeling stores - a little work with tin snips and you may be able to form something that "covers" the entire rear surface of the sight - a little adhesive and viola - legal sight.  When or if you decide to sell; remove the brass cover,  clean off the glue and return to factory spec without removal or damage to your factory sight.

Or paint the fiber optic black or silver or whatever color the sight is. 

Archived