SASS Wire Forum

.243 or .308

Anvil Al #59168

Don't know why. But I sold/traded all of my hunting rifles.

Now I want to get at least one of them back. I don't hunt. So really don't need one.

Just want one to have. (got AR's)

Have ammo for both. A little more .243 than .308

Was leaning toward the .243. But would not take much to tip me over to a .308 

I have no use for a 308 never owned one and never will.    My recommendation is a .243

Given your somewhat narrow situation, having gotten rid of your hunting rifles, and wanting to come back into the arena with just one in the 'category', even if you don't plan to hunt, then why not a 'Scout rifle' per the Cooper concept? Several good options. .308, which is one of your two choices.

Somehow it seems to me the perfect concept, given how I interpret your position.

I have a PTR 91 in .308. Got it about the time there was a panic on when Osama got elected. It was in short supply, but I was able to scrounge up considerable military ammo. One good reason for the .308.

JHC

Personally, I would go with the .308, but I am biased. It’s what I used in the Navy (7.62x51) and I am most familiar with it’s characteristics and have shot it on and off for years. 

The .308 fires a larger and heavier bullet. 
It has excellent range and stopping power. 
It’s a good cartridge for medium to large game. 
It’s an excellent long range target round. 

The .243 is also an excellent cartridge. It fires lighter bullets and has excellent long range abilities but I don’t feel it’s as versatile as the .308, but, I admit, I have no experience with it. 

The one important thing missing is:  what are you hunting. If you are hunting deer and antelope, a .243 will do the job. If you plan on hunting elk too, then IMHO the .243 is too light.

I shoot a .25-06 on all deer sized animals and smaller. I have taken over 100 animals with it and it does a fine job, as long as I do my part. Shot placement is the number one thing. I shoot a Weatherby .300 Mag on elk and larger and it is more than sufficient. I have shot elk and moose and it does a great job. 

I have owned and like both of these calibers (for different reasons).

You have stated that you don't hunt, so my assumptions will exclude hunting scenarios. Sell or trade all of your .243 ammo and re-invest the funds in a caliber you do shoot. That could include .308 if you go that route. In a SHTF situation, .243 may or may not be available, and .308 will certainly be easier to locate than .243. 

4 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Toss a coin. I find the 308 more versatile of the two. 

+1. Many more bullet weight options should you ever decide why you want one. 

Howdy,

I vote .243 but what do I know?

There are far worse choices and military ammo dont mean much if

your rifle isnt the right twist.

Neither is a BAD choice.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Don't know why. But I sold/traded all of my hunting rifles.

Now I want to get at least one of them back. I don't hunt. So really don't need one.

Just want one to have. (got AR's)

Have ammo for both. A little more .243 than .308

Was leaning toward the .243. But would not take much to tip me over to a .308 

Buy both, problem solved.  Maybe something like the T/C Dimension where it is a proper bolt action but barrels are easy to change at home.

well having thought on this for a spell , the 308 is a slightly better choise , More bullet weights , if you reload , better for med to large game , easier to find ammo 

I have had both cals , as well as many more , through the years 

the 308 is not a be all , end all cartage , has its limits , I feel a 30-06 is a much better round , 

the 243 , 7x57 , 8x57JS , are all very good rounds , as well as many others 

were I to be limited to one ctg , I fell it would have to be a 30-06 

Chickasaw 

What are you going to do with it?  A .243 is a decent rifle for deer-sized game, but not super long range like folks enjoy hunting antelope out here (I know a kid who took one at 1200 yards -- and this is not a gunstore commando exaggeration -- although I'm more of a 300 yard shooter).  If you're going to hunt elk, the .243 simply won't cut it; it's illegal here for elk-sized game.  

I'd go with the .243 simply because it's easier to shoot, capable of very good accuracy,

can be loaded fast enough to hit accurately out to well over 300 yds, and good enough

that if you change your mind and decide to hunt with it it will handle most game, excepting

maybe bears and elk. Even then - if it was a SHTF situation, you could drop them with head

shots and still feed your family.

SC

I like my Model 70 in .308, but that aside I think .308 will be easier to find ammo for.

I can't see out to 300 + yards.  I'm good with .22 LR. 

That said, I got my 30-06 for the heavy lifting, and .22 LR for giggles and kicks. All VIRTUAL of course.

In answer to your question, .308.

.308 for me, but the one you always wanted. Can't go wrong there.

5 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

North Texas is a wide open arena and could include mule deer so my vote is for something in order of the 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe.  But if there are no options and strictly deer I'd go for the .308.

I like the 6.5’s and have a 260 Remington. Absolutely love it. Easy on the shoulder. Good killer if game without a lot of bloodshot meat. Good match grade brass available from lapua, but can be easily made from 243 or 7-08. Easy on the shoulder. Very accurate. Bullets from 100-160. Good for 1000 yards. Downside is ammo availability. Never seen any in stores, but I reload 

8 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

North Texas is a wide open arena and could include mule deer so my vote is for something in order of the 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Creedmoor or maybe.  But if there are no options and strictly deer I'd go for the .308.

My personal preference is the 6.5 Swede for accuracy, mild recoil, good long range performance, but  I give the edge to the 6.5 Creedmoor because it's a bit more likely to be found in a gun store.

On edit:  My comment is based on using a modern rifle chambered in 6.5 x 55 and not the military surplus Swedish Mausers which are fine rifles, but like most older military surplus rifles have lower limits on what the action can handle.

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I'd go with the .243 simply because it's easier to shoot, capable of very good accuracy,

can be loaded fast enough to hit accurately out to well over 300 yds, and good enough

that if you change your mind and decide to hunt with it it will handle most game, excepting

maybe bears and elk. Even then - if it was a SHTF situation, you could drop them with head

shots and still feed your family.

SC

You and the 10,000 other guys!

243 is a barrel burner... it is a large over-bore in the same range as 7mm Ultra Mag, 8mm Remington mag and 300 Winchester mag.

308 is much less a barrel burner, same class as 223 Remington, 7mm-08, and 416 Ruger.

My interest is prairie dogs, and 243 has better ballistics than 223.
I found some very nice 75% published loads for 243 to throttle back some of the chamber wear.

7 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

What are you going to do with it?  A .243 is a decent rifle for deer-sized game, but not super long range like folks enjoy hunting antelope out here (I know a kid who took one at 1200 yards -- and this is not a gunstore commando exaggeration -- although I'm more of a 300 yard shooter).  If you're going to hunt elk, the .243 simply won't cut it; it's illegal here for elk-sized game.  

Which state are you referring to?

Here is Colorado Big Game regulations for 2020. Have not found any restrictions on center fire rifles specific to game size.

1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES

a. Must be a minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).

b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long.

c. If semiautomatic, a maximum of six rounds are allowed in the magazine and

chamber combined.

d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh a minimum of 70 grains for deer,

pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact

energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.

Using non-premium PowerPoint ammunition

100 Grain Winchester, 2960 fps ((100x(2960x2960))/450400 = (876160000/450400) = 1,945.2 foot pounds of energy at muzzle. (Using Winchester stated velocity)

100 Grain Winchester, 2697 fps ((100x(2697x2697))/450400 = (727380900/450400) = 1,614.9 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards. (Using Winchester stated velocity)

100 Grain Winchester, 2449 fps ((100x(2449x2449))/450400 = (599760100/450400) = 1,331 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards. (Using Winchester stated velocity)

Still over minimum.

e. It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with

a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk

seasons west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season.

A small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required.

NOTE: SMART RIFLES are prohibited, including any firearm equipped with a target

tracking system, electronically controlled, assisted or computer-linked

trigger or a ballistics computer. Any firearm equipped with a scope containing

a computer processor is considered to be a smart rifle.

NOTE: FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLES are prohibited

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Hunter lesson # 9 Mid range ballistics for Elk hunting

To legally hunt elk with a rifle in Colorado, you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards. The rifle must also have a minimum barrel length of 16 inches and if a semiautomatic rifle, can hold no more than six rounds in the magazine and chamber combined.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm reloading .243 for Kaya. Seeing what a cheap little Mossberg rifle can do and recovering two perfectly mushroomed bullets has left me very impressed. I was worried that it wasn't big enough. I'm certainly not worried now. And watching her hit a coyote at 200 yards with a heart shot was thrilling! I'm sold on the caliber.

Thanks all.

Think there was more votes for the .308

But ended up getting a .243 Remington 700 (had them before and was always happy with them) 

Shot it this afternoon. It a good shooter but have a better scope to put on it.

Have a 4x16x50 that will go on it. Much better than the POS they come with.

Archived