SASS Wire Forum

A disconnect between the ears

Trigger Mike

My 15 year old son tore his labrum.   We went to see a 2nd dr for a second opinion yesterday .  

Not only did this dr say yes to surgery but he went and showed me that his other shoulder is prone to do the same.   This dr also said repeatedly to avoid football.   He suggested tennis or baseball since the left arm won't move much in those sports.   

My son still says he wants to play his senior year so the dr repeated it.  

I told the coach the dr said no football in 2 different text.  His reply, "we have special pads for players with shoulder problems for next year and I'll get with him about it "

What benefit does playing on a high school football his senior year bring? Is he good and will he get a scholarship? Or is it just to play and meet girls?

So many kids mess themselves up for life playing sports just so Dad or the Coach or even the kid him or herself can get an ego boost. 

Sounds like the coach had him 86d most of the time and is hoping that he will be better in his senior year and does not give a hoot if he gets injured trying. Exercise parental discretion and say NO. the kid might hate for it for a year or five but it is for his own good.

I lost count of the number of times my wife and I have told him no more football.   My son just wants to be cool is all I can figure and cool is not an excuse worthy of fostering.  

Supposedly my son says he heard the school pays for his surgery but I have not heard that from a reliable source so before I tell the coach what I think I am going to see if that is true.  

Meanwhile NO FOOTBALL  , EVER.   They only had 14 players and yet played him 5 minutes a game.  The only game they won was when the other team got the china virus and forfeited 

27 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Supposedly my son says he heard the school pays for his surgery

Read the waiver you signed before he even stepped on the practice field. This rumor has circulated among high school athletes since forever. It ain’t true. 

what pat riot said - permanent damage is not worth the risk , the rest of his life is a long time , 

"So many kids mess themselves up for life playing sports just so Dad or the Coach or even the kid him or herself can get an ego boost. "

You need to take his Doctors diagnosis and go over the coaches head. Knowingly ignoring the advice of 2 doctors and lying about how a different set of pads will suddenly eliminate the risk of permanent injury is criminal and he needs to be stopped.

The coach gets paid for football. Your son does not. The coach probably gets paid even more for winning seasons and may even move up to the JC or College level with even more pay. 

In the end, it doesn't matter who pays or gets paid. What matters is your son. Dad is the most important job you will ever have. Sometimes it comes with tough choices that will piss off your son. Choose wisely, your son is counting on you.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Tell your son no.

Tell the football coach to piss off.

Don't even be that polite if he doesn't listen.  Might consider having a registered letter to that effect sent to him in case he tries to get the kid to bypass you.

Notify the school board and superintendent and Principal at a board meeting with a written letter and blame the coach for the injury.

Nothing get a school boards attention as fast as bad publicity and parents with lawyers.

My son was not interested in sports and straight A thru high school and was an honor student. These things will help him more in life than any high school sport. He could have played but did not have any interest and I told him to do whatever he wanted when it came to sports. He ran cross country for a week and dropped out when his buddy that talked him into it dropped out. He has shot cowboy with me a couple time and likes it, but does not shoot very often. He likes going to Black Gold in Kentucky.

Archived