SASS Wire Forum

Big Boy X, Bad choice for Sass, Legal?

El CupAJoe

So I figure a Big Boy X, being a Henry, is probably a really bad choice for SASS, and with only a 7 round capacity doubly so, but my question is, is it legal, because outside of SASS it seems infinitely more useable for anything I might do with it compared to say a 73 or a 66, which for me, would be a game gun only. 

My major considerations are that I'm getting out of debt, I don't expect to have $1000+ to drop on a gun for another 5-10 years, I also don't see myself going to a SASS match more than 2 times a year for the next 5 years or so, so gaming is one of the least considerations for this gun.  By the time I'm ready to go more often, I'll probably have the cash to get a nice 66 or 73.  The only way I'm getting a lever action right now, is by trading my hunting gun, which means that my game gun is going to be pulling double duty as a hunting gun and range gun/fun gun for my kids.  It will probably pull backup defensive duty around the house as my neighbors are probably less put out about things if they see someone carrying a lever vs an AR.  

When i had a Winchester 94AE in .357 magnum, I couldn't have any fun with it, because it was essentially a safe queen, and in KS we have to unload our long guns before transporting them, and since it was my bedside gun, all the ammo had to come out through the action anytime I wanted to go to the range with it.  the Big boy X is a polymer stocked gun, should be a fun range toy, I can just open the tube and dump the ammo anytime I need to go somewhere with it and if I ever get a suppressor, I'll have something to put it on...

I no longer have the Winchester, I traded it for an AR and a bunch of cash which I invested in my reloading equipment.  The Big boy x should be more friendly to taking out hunting on a rainy day, or getting knocked around at the range.  Also, I've never felt right about putting a scope on a Winchester due to the way it just comes so naturally up with the irons right on target.  Most of my shooting I like to have magnification so I can spot my impacts, and identify my targets better, the Henry seems better suited to this.

Just some things I'm thinking about, so I guess my question is, bad choice for sass or no, is the Big Boy X legal for SASS under the Henry Big Boy exemption?  would it require modification to the sights to be legal?  I imagine I could work something up to address the capacity issue, at least for game days.  I'm not too worried about Henry hiccups and bobbles, I'm planning on shooting frontiersman, and am mostly looking to have a good time with great people, make a big black powder mess, and provide scores that make other people happy to have me on their posse  :D.

If it's not legal, I'll probably end up with a Rossi 92 and figure out how to convert my AR to a more suitable hunting cartridge or just hunt with the Rossi and Iron sights.

.  image.png.fbfdb875073f442a0d8e241469459d4c.png

I vote for the Rossi.  Holds 10 rounds, much better function for CAS, strong action for heavy hunting loads, light weight, legal, and it "fits" our time period.

You can back rounds out of the loading gate on a '66 or '73.  Not sure about the '92.

When I think of (bigger than small game) hunting, it's with a bolt action rifle.  Savage and Ruger make some very affordable rifles (sub $300 even) in light center fire cartridges.   .243 has long been a favorite of mine, 6.5 Creedmore is the hot ticket now, of course.

My guess is with the modern mods like the fiber optic sight, and the limited mag capacity (meaning some reloading on most stages on the clock), you won't be either legal or satisfied with the BBX.     Sorta like bridging the 14' creek with a piece of 12' lumber - it doesn't quite get there on either end.   B)

Good luck, GJ

If I was looking for a jack of all trades I'd probably lean toward a Marlin in 44 Mag.  Magnum rounds for hunting.  Magnum or hot special rounds for home defense.  Special rounds for SASS.  True, you'd have to jack out all the live rounds before traveling but in my mind that's wayyyyyyyy down on the list of priorities.  (My opinion only.  You obviously have to decide what's important to you.) 

I don't know what the hunting conditions are in your area, but I had a CVA Hunter in 7mm-08 which was a dandy little deer rifle up to about 300 yards, and it cost me less than $300.  That would give you enough budget to also get an acceptable SASS rifle.

You can get a Rossi '92 in 454 Casull and shoot 454 Colt with it in SASS matches.

I have several rifles, I've killed at least one deer with each of them (including my Uberti '73 in 45 Colt).  I don't think I'd ever own anything made by Henry Repeating Arms Company, except maybe an 1860.  Nice guns for what they are designed for, but they don't fit what I look for in a firearm.

Thank you all for your feedback!  All my logistics are built around .357 Magnum and I can extend the ballistics out of a rifle such that it's suitable in my area for deer.  I have a Ruger 77/357 with a nice scope on it right now and I don't want to complicate my supply with non-35 cal projectiles.  I do my own casting, so I'll probably just get a 350 legend barrel for my AR when they drop back down to $70 and call it good or see if I can chamber my 360 Dan Wesson equivalent loads in a Rossi or marlin.  the 77/357 is my budget for a lever gun, whatever I can get for it is how much I can spend.  

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The Henry Big Boy rifle is an approved rifle for SASS.

The "X" model is NOT.

And with a polimer stock it is unlikely it would ever be considered...... 

I would recommend a Marlin as others have mentioned.

Also you can transport a loaded rifle in Kansas, it doesn't need unloaded.  Now Crossing state lines may be a different matter.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-kansas/

11 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I would recommend a Marlin as others have mentioned.

Also you can transport a loaded rifle in Kansas, it doesn't need unloaded. 

Another plus for the Marlin if you do need to unload it for transport is the fact they have a cross bolt safety. While most of us don't care for the looks of that safety on a lever gun in your case it would make sense.

41 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Marlin makes 38/ 357 that would do all the jobs you mentioned.  They will take a heavy load.  Bullett

I own and am very proud of my Marlin 1894 FG.  .41 Mag.  It will take a heavy load as well but it also will punish you for doing so.

You can find a deal on a 73 or 66 if you look around you may be surprised what you can find!

13 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Also you can transport a loaded rifle in Kansas, it doesn't need unloaded.  Now Crossing state lines may be a different matter.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-kansas/

When I took my CCH class in '14 they said there was still an antiquated Anti-Poaching law on the books that prohibited carrying of loaded long guns, even though the CCH and now constitutional carry permit the transport of loaded handguns.  neither my CCH nor the constitutional carry laws in this state permit the concealed carry of loaded long guns per the information I received in '14.  My information may be out of date, things may have changed since then.  I had a fender bender on the way home from the range in '15 or '16 and when I spoke with the officer at the scene, this interaction lead me to believe that in his mind anyways, there would have been a citation or something if my long gun was loaded.  changes in law like this don't always filter down to law enforcement, and I'd rather not have to make a presentation in court to avoid a fee or something even if I did nothing wrong.  I don't currently have a reason to transport a loaded long gun, so I just don't worry about it.

3 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

When I took my CCH class in '14 they said there was still an antiquated Anti-Poaching law on the books that prohibited carrying of loaded long guns, even though the CCH and now constitutional carry permit the transport of loaded handguns.  neither my CCH nor the constitutional carry laws in this state permit the concealed carry of loaded long guns per the information I received in '14.  My information may be out of date, things may have changed since then.  I had a fender bender on the way home from the range in '15 or '16 and when I spoke with the officer at the scene, this interaction lead me to believe that in his mind anyways, there would have been a citation or something if my long gun was loaded.  changes in law like this don't always filter down to law enforcement, and I'd rather not have to make a presentation in court to avoid a fee or something even if I did nothing wrong.  I don't currently have a reason to transport a loaded long gun, so I just don't worry about it.

I get what your saying... I may have to dig in a little deeper... Just for my own curiosity

9 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I say Rossi 92 in 45 colt. It will handle "Ruger only loads", is sass legal and is just a good reliable rifle.

maybe a R92 in .357, the only reason I'd mess up my reloading setup with another caliber is if I could shoot Classic cowboy which the 92 isn't eligible for, or if I found a gun deal that was too good to pass up and I could afford to shoot factory for a while until I traded for a .357...

Both Rossi and Marlin lever action rifles come in stainless steel models.  These are desirable for hunting in rainy weather.  I shoot a stainless steel Marlin with the cross-bolt safety intact in case I want to hunt with it.

Archived