SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms Winchester 1866 parts

Chantry

I have an old Navy Arms Winchester 1866 (serial number in the 3000 range) with the lever safety.  I managed to lose the pin that holds the tubular firing pin bolt to the firing pin and extractor assembly.  VTI does not seem to stock this part and Numrich is out of stock.  I am wondering if anyone has an alternative source for the part or can tell me if a drill bit (trimmed to fit) is strong enough to use as a replacement or something else can be used as a replacement?

Thanks

I would readily use a new drill bit (of quality US manufacture if you can find it).  It would exceed the strength of the original, I'd wager.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, The shank of the proper size drill bit works well, I've done a couple like that.

Just take the bolt down to a GOOD Hardware store... if you can find one... and get a bit that's a snug fit in the hole, trim it to length and you're good to go!!

PLUS ONE for Garrison Joe and Silver Sam.  A drill shank is the best choice.  Finding ANY part for those old old guns is akin to an Immaculate Conception.  The only source of parts is someone else's gun.

piano wire also works and is more elastic in shear.  

Archived