SASS Wire Forum

Chrome plating and other unusual finishes.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

In an attempt to be amusing, I would like to point out that a certain pard named "Snakebite" said in another thread...

"Only a Drug Store Cowboy would Chrome plate a gun. ;)"

Oh...  Uhm...   Well then what does this...

4440Right.thumb.JPG.c7e377d870437eba6b19e09a717056eb.JPG

...make me?

Granted, it was like this when I got it.   There are of course many interesting ways to finish a gun.   In addition to the "default" finishes of blued with a casehardened frame [which over time can fade to all sorts of interesting shades of gray] and nickel, I have seen guns at the range that are all blue, parkerized, a kind of flat black finish, and my personal favorite...

645165862_GoldIvory.thumb.JPG.dda99c7322cdf0a9e44c455b7788af53.JPG

...gold.  With [mammoth] ivory grips to boot.

I am sure there are other interesting ways to finish our guns.

Please note that this post is only for amusement and not an attempt to revive a closed thread.   

Other than "Parkerized" or some "Matt Black" finished guns, I rather like some of the more "unusual" finishes.  I consider Hard Chrome a plus, it's tough as nails and quite resistant to BP staining, as is Nickel.  Gold, not so much.  Gold isn't very tough and wears rather quickly.  Just a couple of thoughts.

There is also a finish done by and outfit here in PA called "Metalife."  Looks sort of like Brushed Stainless or Silver-plate.  It's also tough and resistant to BP staining.  Been meaning try it.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

HK,

Not to be a offended by a "sm***a*s" :Pfrom CA, I know that individual was referring to a particular "drug and gun" dealer in Texas.

bb (yes, what SB said:D)

Note: chrome plating and cerakote done by APW. Some engraving by Aspen Filly (before plating/coating).

20201203_151501.jpg

20201203_151217.jpg

20201203_151426.jpg

8 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

HK,

Not to be a offended by a "sm***a*s" :Pfrom CA, I know that individual was referring to a particular "drug and gun" dealer in Texas.

bb (yes, what SB said:D)

Note: chrome plating and cerakote done by APW. Some engraving by Aspen Filly (before plating/coating).

20201203_151501.jpg

20201203_151217.jpg

20201203_151426.jpg

Billy... Bet you're referring to the same East Texas Drug & Gun Dealer that I got many of my Cowboy Guns from :D

That shore is a Purdy Shotgun !!!!!!!

And here's a couple more Hard Chrome Beauties (USFA Rodeo's) from APW for Snakebite to drool over...........

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.db10e3e2673b404d0ce02c8558cb0da3.jpg

I have been to matches in  Texas with a colorful shooter that has a four barrel shot gun and Rugers painted red, white and blue with automotive engine paint.  His name is Gunzilla! Irish ☘️ Pat

Humm, you guys down in the SE part of the country, with all that Humidity might like to try a good can of Cold Galvanize on your guns. Ought to do the trick, and would be easy to apply and maintain. :P

Ah, Gunzilla.  Shooting as PEEKING DUCK, JACK IN THE BOX, LOUISIANA GAMBLER with the Lucky Whore's Shoe and on and on.  Love to shoot with him.  A good response to those that tend to take themselves too seriously.

His shooting category is always "NO CLASS".

His shotgun was two over under shotguns bolted together with each pair of barrels enclosed in a stainless steel pipe.  Controls were set so that a pair of barrels would fire with each pull of the trigger.  It was known as the "DRAGON GUN" and was attractive enough that it was stolen.  There was never any doubt when the Dragon roared.

We need more character: Ever look at Bill Carson's 12 ga?  The barrels are held in place with twisted wire.  My first experience with shooting with a "WartHog".  At the time 100 grs of FFg in each barrel.

Big Ole Brad and his 10 ga "BEAST".  Stock hand carved with it's name in high relief.  I've never asked but it looks like he started with a walnut 3"x8"x 24" stock blank.  Fun to shoot!

Got to include "Half a Hand Henry". Some pieces missing and always shoots barefooted.

How 'bout the lady shooter that puts her whole hand in the lever loop and upon closing the action fires the shot with her thumb.

You get out of a match what you put into it.  I like to shoot with the characters.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:58 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

In an attempt to be amusing, I would like to point out that a certain pard named "Snakebite" said in another thread...

"Only a Drug Store Cowboy would Chrome plate a gun. ;)"

Oh...  Uhm...   Well then what does this...

...make me?

Ha! What you missed pard was the "Inside" joke.... Billy Boots is a retired Drug Store owner!:P

8 hours ago, Noz said:

Ah, Gunzilla.  Shooting as PEEKING DUCK, JACK IN THE BOX, LOUISIANA GAMBLER with the Lucky Whore's Shoe and on and on.  Love to shoot with him.  A good response to those that tend to take themselves too seriously.

His shooting category is always "NO CLASS".

His shotgun was two over under shotguns bolted together with each pair of barrels enclosed in a stainless steel pipe.  Controls were set so that a pair of barrels would fire with each pull of the trigger.  It was known as the "DRAGON GUN" and was attractive enough that it was stolen.  There was never any doubt when the Dragon roared.

We need more character: Ever look at Bill Carson's 12 ga?  The barrels are held in place with twisted wire.  My first experience with shooting with a "WartHog".  At the time 100 grs of FFg in each barrel.

Big Ole Brad and his 10 ga "BEAST".  Stock hand carved with it's name in high relief.  I've never asked but it looks like he started with a walnut 3"x8"x 24" stock blank.  Fun to shoot!

Got to include "Half a Hand Henry". Some pieces missing and always shoots barefooted.

How 'bout the lady shooter that puts her whole hand in the lever loop and upon closing the action fires the shot with her thumb.

You get out of a match what you put into it.  I like to shoot with the characters.

I was on Half a Hand Henry’s posse at CAC this year, we had a blast.  I had her laughing so hard when she was my TO, I either told her a joke or I changed the starting line, she laughed all during the stage.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Ha! What you missed pard was the "Inside" joke.... Billy Boots is a retired Drug Store owner!:P

And, a drug store with an ffl.:D

In "Sixguns", Elmer Keith mentions a copper-plated SAA he traded for. The previous owner had traded his red-headed "wife" for it. :rolleyes: 

As copper is an underlayer in the nickel-plating process, it may be that the nickel wore off. However, how it could have worn off so completely that Elmer didn't notice any remaining traces of nickel, or places where both nickel and copper wore off, I don't know. Maybe it was copper-plated.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, Snakebite said:

Yessir! I referred to him as the Gun running drug dealer from Bogata (Texas).

Archived