SASS Wire Forum

Roller 45-70

DAYTON DAVE

I have an original REM. Rolling block #5 with a Numrich Buffalo 45-70 barrel. It’s 28” and very heavy.  I was thinking on cutting down the barrel to reduce weight.  I’d like to use it for hunting and target out to about 200 yrds.  I’ll never use it for competition or long range.  Just wanted opinions and hopefully someone who has done this. 

141A484E-13D4-48BA-BFA9-8D439D194B3C.jpeg

Dave, with a 28” barrel, how much does it weigh?  Have a Lone Star with a 30” barrel weighing 11 lbs 2oz

If it was mine, I’d leave the barrel length as is because cutting to 24” is not going to decrease the weight appreciably 

Increased recoil could be a very real problem.   I have a model 84 Trapdoor Rifle in this caliber, and recoil was not at all bad,   Then, when I got a 73 Trapdoor carbine, recoil was painful.  I eventually found a load that was comfy to shoot in the carbine, but I was surprised at how much more noticeable it was with the shorter and lighter gun.

I’m going to say this out loud ... folks come on the Wire asking for advice and you never hear from them again ... even though they have logged onto the Wire many times after their original post.  Anyone besides me feel like we are talking to ourselves ... and when was the last time you read a Thank You post from a OP

Something I would consider is will the shorter barrel allow the round achieve its maximum velocity? There are some cartridges that do not achieve their full potential unless they have a 24" to 26" barrel. I remember seeing this when shopping for hunting rifles years ago. Cutting a barrel back reduced the muzzle velocity to that of a less powerful round so what was the point of suffering heavier recoil for the same energy as a lesser round?

3 hours ago, John Boy said:

I’m going to say this out loud ... folks come on the Wire asking for advice and you never hear from them again ... even though they have logged onto the Wire many times after their original post.  Anyone besides me feel like we are talking to ourselves ... and when was the last time you read a Thank You post from a OP

Maybe he didn’t like the replies he got?

Archived