SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose

High Santa Ana winds has caused the power company to cut power to a large portion of San Diego county. I installed a stand by generator about 3 months ago so it’s going to get a work out.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Good grief!72 hours.  That is going to have a detrimental impact on a lot of people. :(

Yep. My wife doesn’t have standby generator at work so she’s on her way to pick up her computer so that she can work at home. I’ll be very limited in the work shop because my joiner, table saw, planer and dual drum sander all max out my generator.

1 minute ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Be good time to own a wind farm 

Wind farms don’t do a lot of good when the power lines are shut down that carry the electricity that they produce.

I saw this on Fox & Friends this morning! Good luck to you, hope you have a generator!;)

17 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Crack a beer and turn on all the Christmas lights.

Kinda hard to do with no electricity :o

6 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

He has a genset. 

Mrs. Lose likes Christmas lights, even now.

03CF227B-9CBF-405E-A3D6-2169EE71A263.jpeg

We had a multi day outage several years ago due to an ice storm. The neighborhood was really dark -except for my Christmas lights. They were beautiful! Some neighbor's won't talk to me yet. And I'm just dandy with it!

18 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

He has no power and I am back with fires in my area, again...In about the same place as last time....Got to love them Santa Ana winds....But we have lots of TP...

Texas Lizard

We had one about 8 miles away earlier this afternoon and they got it knocked down pretty quick. 75mph wind gusts just east of town this morning.

A few years back the City of Orange, California had a power outage.  Rowdy Yates said he and his wife were reduced to talking to each other.  He said she seemed like a nice person.  :lol:

Sorry, Rowdy, I couldn't help myself.  :P

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul, would solar work for you?

OLG 

I have solar. When the power is down the solar that I have has to automatically shutdown per state law if it is connected to the grid. This is to keep from electrocuting a worker working on the power lines. Some with solar have battery banks instead of generators. At the time I installed my solar about 15 years ago the battery banks were very expensive, they’ve gotten a little cheaper over the years.

Today I get to go find propane. Our little town has four places to refill propane tanks and none of them can refill them because the power is out. Three more days of this Crap!!! No wind at all last night and it’s dead calm this morning.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I have solar. When the power is down the solar that I have has to automatically shutdown per state law if it is connected to the grid. This is to keep from electrocuting a worker working on the power lines. Some with solar have battery banks instead of generators. At the time I installed my solar about 15 years ago the battery banks were very expensive, they’ve gotten a little cheaper over the years.

Know well of the safety concern.

Many folks tie there isolation switch for a generator in with their solar.

OLG 

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Know well of the safety concern.

Many folks tie there isolation switch for a generator in with their solar.

OLG 

??? My solar has to be disconnected automatically when the power goes down.

You have a non-islanding inverter(s); so, the inverter uses the utility voltage as frequency reference.  When the voltage or frequency is out of the inverter's voltage & frequency range it goes into standby mode.  Your inverter(s) can be replaced by dual mode inverter(s) which have a built in automatic transfer switch that senses utility loss & switches to internal voltage & frequency references.  It will be less expensive to add batteries to the system than a gas or diesel standby generator; because, a microgrid controller in addition to a genset that has compatible governor & voltage regulator are required.  Your Kohler, Cummins & GENERAC home standby's aren't compatible.

My wife and I have both found that there are very few cell sites out here with standby generator power. I guess they are on battery back up and when the batteries are depleted the cell sites don’t work. When I was coming back from my fruitless propane tank refill mission I got behind three ATT service trucks towing mobile generator units up the hill. 

The first propane dealer that I went to this morning wouldn’t fill my tanks because they were out dated. I said Huh and he said they couldn’t fill any tanks older than 5 years and I’d have to buy new ones, I left. The U-haul dealers pump was broke down and the next one told me that they were out of propane because they had filled so many tanks in the last few days. So I came back home and 1/4 mile from my house is a propane tank exchange place and I exchanged my old tanks for new filled ones. I have enough propane to get me through until Sunday night when the power is restored although the wind stopped blowing yesterday afternoon and it’s been dead calm since then.

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

You have a non-islanding inverter(s); so, the inverter uses the utility voltage as frequency reference.  When the voltage or frequency is out of the inverter's voltage & frequency range it goes into standby mode.  Your inverter(s) can be replaced by dual mode inverter(s) which have a built in automatic transfer switch that senses utility loss & switches to internal voltage & frequency references.  It will be less expensive to add batteries to the system than a gas or diesel standby generator; because, a microgrid controller in addition to a genset that has compatible governor & voltage regulator are required.  Your Kohler, Cummins & GENERAC home standby's aren't compatible.

TY!

Yul,  this is what I wad talking about. 

OLG 

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TY!

Yul,  this is what I wad talking about. 

OLG 

I know, but you’re talking some pretty big bucks and the way I’m doing it now gets me by. When I initially installed the solar system I tried doing it that way but at the time home solar was not as advanced as it is now and the county and the power company wouldn’t let me do it that way.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:55 PM, Yul Lose said:

My wife and I have both found that there are very few cell sites out here with standby generator power. I guess they are on battery back up and when the batteries are depleted the cell sites don’t work. When I was coming back from my fruitless propane tank refill mission I got behind three ATT service trucks towing mobile generator units up the hill. 

The first propane dealer that I went to this morning wouldn’t fill my tanks because they were out dated. I said Huh and he said they couldn’t fill any tanks older than 5 years and I’d have to buy new ones, I left. The U-haul dealers pump was broke down and the next one told me that they were out of propane because they had filled so many tanks in the last few days. So I came back home and 1/4 mile from my house is a propane tank exchange place and I exchanged my old tanks for new filled ones. I have enough propane to get me through until Sunday night when the power is restored although the wind stopped blowing yesterday afternoon and it’s been dead calm since then.

Outdated at 5 years? We have to re-certify and replace the valve at 10 years up here.

If you lose power too often, maybe a large stationery tank?

1 minute ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Outdated at 5 years? We have to re-certify and replace the valve at 10 years up here.

If you lose power too often, maybe a large stationery tank?

I think he was trying to con me into buying new tanks, they were all less than 10 years old.

Archived