SASS Wire Forum

Reloder 7/44-40 loads

Savvy Jack

Can't tell back in the day how much flack I got about mentioning 240gr bullets for the 44-40. Then to use Reloder 7 along with it. Not that it would be a good combo for CAS, but it did exist. Hercules and Alliant published the data around 1995-2005, respectively, and so did Lee...and look at the velocity!  10% to 20% more power than the 200gr factory loads back in the day. Safe for the 73'.

Untitled (2).jpg

Tan some numbers through quick load a while back and it appeared the pressures could be kept in limits while pushing it up around 44 mag performance. Even the original BP loads were no slouch. 

26 minutes ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Tan some numbers through quick load a while back and it appeared the pressures could be kept in limits while pushing it up around 44 mag performance. Even the original BP loads were no slouch. 

I did one even better, ran them through the Pressuretrace II strain gauge program. 

link

Reloder 7 Pressuretrace II Results

SAAMI Max PSI is 11,000 with a MAP of 11,300psi. Each test is the result of a ten shot group.

1 hour ago, Salty Dave said:

For hunting I use 23.2 Reloader7 with a 220 grn lead RNFP in my 73’ and 92’, both have 20” barrels. Average velocity 1235 FPS. No signs of over pressure.

Awesome Dave. You won't see any signs of "overpressures" until about 25,000psi......don't load until you see it. Well, in a 73', you will probably blow the toggles before seeing high pressures signs.

11 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

What would be the max safe load for a Uberti '66 in .44/40, Savvy Jack?  I'm thinking of doing some deer hunting with my '66.

Anything on that chart is safe for all firearms chambered for 44-40. I will get a better photo

Archived