SASS Wire Forum

Your favorite Christmas song

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

7 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

My wife abhors "All I want for Christmas, is You" by Mariah Carey. I'm at a loss why, but try to cover my ears when she hears it start up. Me, I don't have a problem with it:rolleyes::blink::lol::blush:

That one, "Last Christmas" by Wham! and anyone else, and a few others are all able to make me search for another station. I am certainly a more traditional kind of guy. There are a few modern ones that I like, or at least tolerate, but give me carols, instrumentals and choirs and I am much happier.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking and trying to come up with only one.  

I guess my go to  would be Adeste Fidelis, then,  in no particular order,  The Holly and the Ivy, Gaudet Christus Est Natus, and Il Est Ne le Divin Enfant. 

Oh! I  forgot Stille Nacht.

58 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

and words I can understand

That might be one of the reasons I like so many of them in Latin, French, or German.  If I'm not going to understand the words, let them be in a language I don't understand.

I like any artist rendering of  "Little Drummer Boy" same for "Silent Night".

On 12/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Mary Did You Know !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Which version?

On 12/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, doc roy l. pain said:

Mary, did you know?          Pentatonix 

Kenny Chesney - Just a Kid

Christmas songs, eh?  Where to begin.  7th, 8th and 9th grade boys glee club.  High school choir and swing choir. Church choir.  4 years of college acapella choir.  2 years in the college swing choir.  I learned a few songs, most of the harmonies.  Sang 1st tenor.  Wish I still could.  Age has deepened my range a bit.  Anything that has come out since 1977 that is new, I'm not as familiar with.  77.  That is when I did done gradiate from college.  The gived me a diploma and everthing.   Did a little barbershop in the mid 80s.  Learned the classics, Messiah, Hallelujah Chorus, every song inside and outside a Lutheran Hymnal.  Sometimes I make up my own lyrics.  When my kids were little they thought that was hilarious.  Mom frowned on it.  Every party needs a pooper.

I guess my favorite is Oh Holy Night.  Follow the durn music as it was written.  I really get ticked by all these "professionals" who take liberties with the melody and go off on a riff that they think makes it their own.  Really, that goes for any song.  You want to make it your song?  Write a song your own durn self.  Our college director would give you dirty looks if you warbled something that wasn't part of the original music or lyrics.  He could pick it out of a 4 - 6 part harmony, 35 voices and who did it.  Pay attention!  I'm talking to you!

I like and enjoy most songs of the season.  New or old.  Bing, Nat, Karen, Beach Boys, Abalama, Reba, Elvis.  I'm not hung up on too many.  I don't like it when someone tries to modernize a song, put it to a different beat.  Just sing it like you was learned.

I've been asked to perform a few solos at mid-night mass and did.  I faded out when the priest left the parish and a new priest came in.  I'm way out of practice anymore.  I can hear the songs buzzing around in my head but the sound that comes out is a bit rough sometimes.  Not as perfect as I'd like.  I guess the most important thing is to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.  Well, it is a noise and I hope the Lord appreciates my effort.

Ya all have yourself a merry little Christmas.

Same here,Finagler. Have contributed to many Christmas services over the years, instrumentally. Have changed churches in the last year and was wanting to contribute to the music program. Haven't played anything in about two years and have lost a few of my front teeth due to loss of bone density. Wife uncovered my double horn case yesterday and I got one out and serviced it. Tried to get a decent sound out of it and failed miserably. Will have to see about some sort of replacement of my missing fronts to get anything accomplished. Bitter pill to swallow:(:blush:

5 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Boy, that Gaudette is quite different for a carol. Very fast tempo and heavy on drums/tambors:blink::blush:

Don't recognize the language,either:mellow::blink::blush:

Carol didn't originally mean a song, and especially not a Christmas song.  

ORIGIN OF CAROL

1250–1300; Middle English carole ring, circle (of stones), enclosed place for study (see carrel), ringdance with song (hence, song) <Anglo-French carole,Old French *corole (compare Old Provençal corola), apparently <Latin corolla garland (see corolla), conflated with Latin choraula<Greek choraúlēs piper for choral dance, equivalent to chor(ós) chorus + -aulēs, derivative of aulós pipe

This song dates from the 16th century, first published in A.D. 1581.  Old enough that the dance aspect of the music was still in the public mind.  It is a fairly standard style of Latin praise/worship text.

Gaudete, Gaudete!
Christus et natus
Ex maria virgine,
Gaudete!
Rejoice, Rejoice!
Christ is born
Of the virgin Mary,
Rejoice!

Tempus ad est gratiae,
Hoc quod optabamus;
Carmina laetitiae,
Devote redamus.
It is now the time of grace
That we have desired;
Let us sing songs of joy,
Let us give devotion.
Deus homo factus est,
Natura mirante;
Mundus renovatus est
A Christo regnante.
God was made man,
And nature marvels;
The world was renewed
By Christ who is King.
Ezechiellis porta
Clausa pertransitur;
Unde lux est orta
Salus invenitur.
The closed gate of Ezechiel
Has been passed through;
From where the light rises
Salvation is found.
Ergo nostra cantio,
Psallat iam in lustro;
Benedicat Domino:
Salus Regi nostro.
Therefore let our assembly now sing,
Sing the Psalms to purify us;
Let it praise the Lord:
Greetings to our King.

No Christmas concerts or much else in Alberta for the next 30 days.  Effective 00:01 hrs 13 Dec 2020 all events are closed down, restaurants can only serve take out, the bars are closed, barber shops, hair dressers, all closed until mid January and only if the Covid numbers come down.  No family gatherings at Christmas, only persons allowed in your house are when you need a plumber or a electrician to repair something.  Family not living in your residence are not allowed in.  Mandatory masks at all times when out in a public area or a business that is still open.  Stores that are allowed to stay open are limited to 10% of legal capacity at a time.  No back yard gatherings except for the residents of that household.  You can still go to the Mall but, only for shopping and no hanging out.  The food court can only serve take out, no seating allowed.  Only a max of 10 people at a wedding or funeral with no reception afterward.

We normally have 13 family members at Christmas but, not this year.

On the bright side, they start giving Covid vaccinations next week.

Archived