SASS Wire Forum

Your favorite Christmas song

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my proudest moments:  Friend of my bestie was the choir director of their church.  After a word (and  photocopy of music) from me, she had those little 'piscopal children singing Rise Up Shepherd and Follow.  My personal favorite is Break Forth, O Beauteous Heavenly Light.  But you can't have Christmas without Silent Night.

image.jpeg.713d362e98867169ca8f5fc47d71f984.jpeg

I have to go with Nat King Cole's The Christmas song. You know........"chestnuts roasting on an open fire..............;)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing - in pretty much all of it’s forms and renditions. :)

When I was growing up in Logan, Utah my Dad made it a tradition to drive the 85 miles down to Salt Lake City for one of the annual Tabernacle Christmas shows.

I don't know if they still do that every Christmas season, but if they do, and if you can get there, you  should see it.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When I was growing up in Logan, Utah my Dad made it a tradition to drive the 85 miles down to Salt Lake City for one of the annual Tabernacle Christmas shows.

I don't know if they still do that every Christmas season, but if they do, and if you can get there, you  should see it.

My wife and I have talked about going to see that. Maybe someday.

I hope this doesn't ruin the mood of the thread, but that is an amazingly difficult and somewhat emotional question for me. I performed in choir, chamber ensemble and show ensemble my junior and senior year of high school. We performed out constantly during the Christmas season, and of course, our own concert as well. For just about all of us, it was our favorite time of the year, and our favorite performances.

My ensemble partner and I became incredibly close friends, to the point that when we were out performing at reunions, dinners, etc... We were the pair that people always assumed were dating. We weren't, and were never more than close friends, while several others did. At any rate, Five years after we graduated, after I had just gotten back from AIT, there was a knock on my door, and our high school choir director was on my porch. He was there to tell me Mary had been raped and murdered. I can't type that to this day without tears welling up.

So, I have a difficult time listening to a lot of Christmas music without becoming melancholy. But, I still enjoy those songs we sang probably more than any others. "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," in particular, because it was simply fun to perform, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. "Silent Night," of course is at the top of most lists. Yes, as most of you know, I still celebrate the holiday, despite my religion. The past couple of years, though, this has been one of my favorites to listen to.

Thanks Doc. While many of us don't readily admit it. Christmas is often a time of reflection and strong mixed emotions.

Allison Krauss has an amazing voice. That particular rendition was simply outstanding. Thanks for sharing that.

BTW, I absolutely HATE Christmas season car commercials.  If I see another dang Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, or Buick commercial with a big red bow on top of their cars sitting in a driveway as if it is some kind of "surprise", I'm gonna puke.  Bah, humbug.

Rye Miles and Four-Eyed Buck have it right.  A Christmas Song, written (and best sung) by Mel Torme.

27 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

BTW, I absolutely HATE Christmas season car commercials.  If I see another dang Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, or Buick commercial with a big red bow on top of their cars sitting in a driveway as if it is some kind of "surprise", I'm gonna puke.  Bah, humbug.

Hear, hear. Talk about rubbing it in our faces that some folks are so loaded they can treat their significant other to a brand-new car like it's nothing. Same with all the fancy jewelers' ads.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife and I have talked about going to see that. Maybe someday.

C'mon, Pat.  It's only a 12 hour one way drive for you, maybe a bit more in the winter time.

My hometown used to put together a Christmas Cantata every year, too.  Held it in a local theater or up at the USU campus, once in the Logan Tabernacle.  All the local schools were involved with some of the greatest under eighteen year old talent you ever saw.  Leftist, anti church, "you can't spend tax money on that", separation of church and state pukes killed that long ago.  Too bad! It was beyond marvelous.

30 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My hometown used to put together a Christmas Cantata every year, too.  Held it in a local theater or up at the USU campus, once in the Logan Tabernacle.  All the local schools were involved with some of the greatest under eighteen year old talent you ever saw.  Leftist, anti church, "you can't spend tax money on that", separation of church and state pukes killed that long ago.  Too bad! It was beyond marvelous.

If it is like we did, It probably brought in a chunk of money for the school music program, helping to buy music, instruments, and more, at no taxpayer expense, and helped some of that talent get ready for college, where some of them majored in music, and did well for themselves as a result. Then those same jerks complained about the lack of those same things that they killed off.

For celebrating the season, Oh Holy Night.

For those who commercialize the season, A Christmas Song, by Jethro Tull!!

For the kids, Santa Claus is Coming To Town!!

Unfortunately, I got Mel's moniker wrong. Thanks for the correction, Alpo. For some pretty good covers of Christmas songs, try Youtube and search up Glee season 3 episode 9. They did a nice job with some good music and dance numbers. Did some Mariah, Springsteen, an excellent song and dance to Let It Snow, threw some Elvis in there and a good group of It's Christmas Time/ Feed The World. They were amazing together. It's a shame three of them are gone now.:rolleyes::(:blush:

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

Delete

I'm not really familiar. Is that done to the tune of Greensleeves?

Archived