SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1984 Carbine, Made in 1981, extractor question

Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

I have a 357 Marlin made in 1981 that I got from cowboy when I lived in Alabama and it has never wanted to feed anything fast. I tried different bullets, 357's, 38 spl, adjust the length, the bullet weight, bullet shape and nothing seemed to work. So, I thru it in the back of the safe and left it there. I had talked with a cowboy gunsmith that worked on Marlins a year or so back at a match and he suggested the spring on the extractor was too heavy. I was bored tonight and dug it out of the safe and looked at the extractor. I compared it the my 44 mag Marlins and the extractor was twice a wide as the ones on my 44's. The spring was excessively heavy compared to my 44 mag Marlins. This is my only 357 Marlin I have at the moment but I don't recall ever seeing an extractor that is almost a 1/4 in wide. I believe that this is the problem that makes it not feed well (heavy spring and wide extractor). The question I have has anybody seen this wide extractor in a 1984 357 before? I looked at some replacement parts and they all seem to be the same as my 44 mag Marlin. My 44 mag are both 1980 models with a short ejector  and the 357 has a long ejector.  My plan is to replace the extractor and the ejector. First pic 357, 2nd 44 mag. Any Comments?

20201202_213433[1].jpg

20201202_213620[1].jpg

2 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I can highly recommend the extractor sold by Ranger Point. 

Better check before you buy.   I don't think they make one that will fit this earlier design bolt. 

I have several pre-safety 1894 44 magnum that have the sheet metal extractor.  I'll get one out in the morning. 

Reading comments on the Marlin Owner's Forum,  one guy figured out cleaning the bolt face of carbon buildup solved his problem.  

I've seen them.   That style Extractor is a 1-piece.   The new ones, like your .44 Extractor, are

2-piece, which is the Extractor body & spring.     The older style is just a spring with a funny wide head on it.

To answer your question..... yes, that spring style Extractor could be your problem, especially if it has A LOT of tension to it.

In this particular rifle, you might be better served with the new style Extractor or get the Ranger Point Precision style

Extractor.

TEST:   pop your .44 Extractor and put in it the .357 bolt.   See if that helps remedy your problem.

If you've never taken out the Extractor before, let us Wire Pards know because you need to know about

that 'pinched' pin before driving it out.

P.S. - There should be nothing wrong with that old style EJECTOR.   But if you desire, they can be swapped out

with the newer and shorter style EJECTOR.

..........Widder

I took a look at 1894 bolt with flat spring extractor and one with the two-piece extractor and the new style should work.  The hole is a little higher but that changed from year to year.

I have an 1894cs made in 83 that I installed a Sure-Claw exreactor.  It fixed my feeding problems. 

I already had bolts pulling out of a pre-safty and newer model.  I was waiting for daylight to take a picture.  Bolt on left is from pre-safty 1894, originally a 44 magnum that I rebarreled to 44WCF.  Bolt on right is out of a newer 45 Colt CBC.

1404114916_Marlin1894pre-saftyboltfaceDec2020.jpg.d896567066abbc0aadd5b304d475d1d5.jpg

:ph34r:  Quote "..... one guy figured out cleaning the bolt face of carbon buildup solved his problem. "

As Momma used to say, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness.....",  and it is certainly so regarding function of extractors on any number of models.

Good luck on trouble shooting.

What Widder said. I too had a carbine with the the spring extractor, changed to the Ranger Point extractor made all the difference, be sure to look at the pics. of the bolt faces they show to match yours as the extractor hole can be different by the year made. I also used the short spring ejector worked fine.

Rob 

Thanks guys,

I had about 4 or 5 Marlins in 357 at one time and some that ran very well, but had to part with all of them  and kept my 44's due to financial problems. I did not remember any of them having the wide extractor and most had a gold trigger but this one does not. I will be getting a couple pre-safety Marlins in the future and wanting to get every working well. I have seen the long spring ejectors in one or two guns and I think I will replace it. I have a lot of Marlin parts so time to see what is in the parts drawer for changing stuff out in this rifle. The Ranger Point website  shows out of stock and Brownells shows out of stock on Marlin parts so I may have to wait a while to work on this project.

14 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I can highly recommend the extractor sold by Ranger Point. 

+2  I put a Ranger Point extractor in both of my Marlin 1984 .357's and they work like a charm!

Archived