SASS Wire Forum

Converting standard OMV to birdshead grip

DeaconKC

Have a birdshead grip on the way to convert an OMV, what else do I need internally to complete this?

Hi Deacon  :rolleyes:

"If" your original Vaquero is "stock" and your Knew-Two-Ewe Birdshead is also "Original" compatible it's Remove and Replace.  That simple.  If, on the other hand, your dealing with an After-Market grip assembly, No clue without seeing the sample example. 

14 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi Deacon  :rolleyes:

"If" your original Vaquero is "stock" and your Knew-Two-Ewe Birdshead is also "Original" compatible it's Remove and Replace.  That simple.  If, on the other hand, your dealing with an After-Market grip assembly, No clue without seeing the sample example. 

2 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Many years ago (before Ruger offered a Birdshead grip), I installed a Qualite Birdshead grip. It was just a simple replacement.

Okay, it is the frame down at the bottom of the pics in this thread. Marked as a stainless Ruger grip and backstrap:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/309060-wts-clothes-wild-bunch-brass-etc/&tab=comments#comment-4015329

And my Ruger is stock.

A few years back, I had a pair of short OMV Birdshead guns and a pair of 7.5" OMV plow handle guns. I switched the gripframes. I still have the short plowhandle OMV's. Wish I still had the long Birdshead OMV's. Very nice looking.

Horace

Direct replacement. Just need to make sure the springs end up where the are supposed to. I usually make sure the pawl spring is in place Screw in the two top screws loosely. Then adjust the loading gate/latch spring into position. Install the final three screws into their respective holes snuggly, but not tight. Check function. Tighten the screws. Check function again...DONE!

As others have stated, your birdsheads should fit with no problem.

If your haven't done much disassembly with your Rugers, the video below should help: 

Ruger Single Action Revolver Disassembly - YouTube

Thanks for all the advice folks. Looks like I will use the old "bread bag trick" like when pulling the springs on a Remington 870.

Archived