SASS Wire Forum

Coach Gun Recomendations

Bo Bender

26 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

SKB 100/200 or Browning BSS are the best after being tuned up.  Everything else is just till you can do better.  I personally like the SKB 100.

Do you know of any CAS gunsmiths currently selling the SKB's

Johnny Meadows and Fast Eddie are the go to SKB gunsmiths.   If you let them know your are seriously looking for one, they can probably find one for you and do the action job.  The SKB's are out there.  You just have to find them.  The last one I bought was advertised on Guns International by Cabela's in Nebraska.   A good SKB 100 will run about $1,000.

I just did a quick check and there is an SKB 100 12 gauge on Gunbroker for $1026.00.  

11 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Johnny Meadows and Fast Eddie are the go to SKB gunsmiths.   If you let them know your are seriously looking for one, they can probably find one for you and do the action job.  The SKB's are out there.  You just have to find them.  The last one I bought was advertised on Guns International by Cabela's in Nebraska.   A good SKB 100 will run about $1,000.

I just did a quick check and there is an SKB 100 12 gauge on Gunbroker for $1026.00.  

That one has been on there for a couple of weeks, it is a little rough.

There is one on there for $2,100 +/-

12 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Can I trouble you for an item number, I just checked every category on GB and couldnt find this gun?

11 hours ago, Bo Bender said:

I've only ever used double trigger, is one better than the other?

In theory, everything else being equal, a single trigger would be faster. Moving trigger finger is one more step to take, and switching to the front trigger again after reload.

I'm fine with double trigger. I'm also not that fast.

3 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

In theory, everything else being equal, a single trigger would be faster. Moving trigger finger is one more step to take, and switching to the front trigger again after reload.

Depends on the shooter. Using only one finger, I can fire my double trigger SXS fast enough that the timer will only register only one shot. It is all about technique.

Inertial actuated single trigger shotguns are a poor choice for SASS which is why most shooters have them converted into mechanical actuation. 

Bottom line, Single trigger or Double trigger is all about shooter preference.

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Plus with 2 triggers you can fire both barrels at once :ph34r: :FlagAm:

LOL, at a monthly match the first shotgun target was a double tap on a stationary target... I didn't pull both at once but I did use 2 fingers. Got told I had to allow more time between shots. :lol::ph34r:

Put tip of finger on front trigger and pull. As soon as it fires finger slips off front trigger and slaps the rear trigger. Two distinct shots so close together the timer doesn't register the second but the spotters ears do. 

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Actually you are incorrect everything being equal a double trigger is faster.   Its been tested and timed many times.    I really wish people would stop spreading that lie

13 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Actually you are incorrect everything being equal a double trigger is faster.   Its been tested and timed many times.    I really wish people would stop spreading that lie

I would like a reference (honestly, I soak up studies), but I chose a double trigger for myself. "Lie" is a strong word, but I do recognize opinion splits on this. Until my times get within 2 blinks of an eye of top shooters, I'm not thinking it is a real big deal for me.

There are many on this forum who swear by single trigger.

I am mindful one good reason for two triggers is to have different chokes in each barrel for different distances. And in these parts, one trigger for 00 buck for 4 legged varmints and a separate trigger for letting loose a salt load for 2 legged varmints. But in this sport, neither is a good reason to base one's decision.

In this sport, the question is whether you or the gun is setting the speed limit.

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

I would like a reference (honestly, I soak up studies), but I chose a double trigger for myself. "Lie" is a strong word, but I do recognize opinion splits on this. Until my times get within 2 blinks of an eye of top shooters, I'm not thinking it is a real big deal for me.

There are many on this forum who swear by single trigger.

I am mindful one good reason for two triggers is to have different chokes in each barrel for different distances. And in these parts, one trigger for 00 buck for 4 legged varmints and a separate trigger for letting loose a salt load for 2 legged varmints. But in this sport, neither is a good reason to base one's decision.

In this sport, the question is whether you or the gun is setting the speed limit.

There are several reason why top guns shoot them.  At the top level you have enough time in your swing to reset.    I have ran the splits on some of the top shots in this sport.  Duece, carty, matt, lefty,    they don't win because of the trigger splits they win because of the practice they do.  Their reloads and lack of wasted time and effort.    But pure fact is you can't get a single trigger to sound as one shot.   Two triggers you can

Would a double trigger with the triggers reversed cause any noticeable speed increase?

Something I read about in the classifieds in guns for sale, but always wondered about.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Would a double trigger with the triggers reversed cause any noticeable speed increase?

Something I read about in the classifieds in guns for sale, but always wondered about.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Put tip of finger on front trigger and pull. As soon as it fires finger slips off front trigger and slaps the rear trigger. Two distinct shots so close together the timer doesn't register the second but the spotters ears do. 

With reversed triggers the above is easy  and is why many right handed shooters have them reversed. If you are a lefty there is no need to reverse the triggers.

I reversed the triggers on my Stoeger and I found there was no noticeable difference.  On my SKB, single trigger with mechanical reset, I can get my shots off 0.15 seconds apart if the targets are close.  That's about as fast as I can release and pull the trigger again on a close target.

Archived